VSENN - New competitor for Google's Project Ara

set_flo

Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/131645-vsenn-is-the-modular-phone-coming-to-take-on-google-project-ara

Some copy-pasta :) :

Until now Google Project Ara was the only modular smartphone to get excited about. But now Finnish startup Vsenn has announced it will also be releasing a modular smartphone that should allow users to modify their hardware to create the perfect mobile.

The Vsenn modular phone will allow owners to upgrade their camera, battery and processor as well as RAM. It will also run stock Android with guaranteed updates for the next four years. The back covers can also be changed to personalise the look of the handset.

Vsenn has been started by a former Nokia Android X program manager and promises to "evolve with you". But despite being upgradable the software will remain secure thanks to a triple layer encryption protection with free access to a VPN network and secure Cloud. "Preserving data integrity and your privacy is our main priority," says Vsenn.

At this stage the company is remaining tight lipped about anything else with its site simply saying "evolution is coming". We know Google plans to launch its Project Ara modular smartphone around January 2015 so we'd imagine Vsenn is hoping to either get in there first of launch soon after.

Official website: http://vsenn.com/

TL;DR : New modular smartphone to rival Ara with vpn support being created by ex-Nokia employees.

Looks like a brand new project, will be interesting when it gets to the stage that they have prototypes.

This is the problem with phoneblocks idea

If there are competing platforms, then the whole open platform idea is lost, as certain modules will only work on certain phones

I dont even know what to think anymore

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If there are competing platforms, then the whole open platform idea is lost, as certain modules will only work on certain phones

Yeah, exactly what I was about to say. Having competing platforms like this entirely defeats the point of the whole thing.

LEL, my iPhone 4S has been evolving pretty well over the last three years... The battery life, for example, is now much better with iOS 8 than it used to be with iOS 5 :D

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Basically back to smartphones with different features and specs from different manufacturers... Just more complicated for "typical Joe" who has little to none knowledge about hardware and its Pros/Cons

Instead i would love to see "competitors" to come up with new block design and various hardware specs still compatible with ARA's skeleton. Therefore it would be same product with more options (freedom of choice).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Basically back to smartphones with different features and specs from different manufacturers... Just more complicated for "typical Joe" who has little to none knowledge about hardware and its Pros/Cons

Instead i would love to see "competitors" to come up with new block design and various hardware specs still compatible with ARA's skeleton. Therefore it would be same product with more options (freedom of choice).

Yes this

This what I always feared about the Ara design, that or ridiculously priced blocks 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Edited: Out of topic (because i accidentaly tapped wrong post): Why does this forum not have DELETE option ???

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yeah, having competing manufacturers design and build Ara compatible blocks is the whole point of Ara.

That's why Ara is a 2 year project that is going to completely end when it ends... that is, there won't be a sole company with patents and IP that is building and selling the skeletons. As I understand it, the idea is that it will all be freely available so that the skeletons will be able to be manufactured and sold to standard specifications so any module will work with any skeleton.

Yeah, having competing manufacturers design and build Ara compatible blocks is the whole point of Ara.

That's why Ara is a 2 year project that is going to completely end when it ends... that is, there won't be a sole company with patents and IP that is building and selling the skeletons. As I understand it, the idea is that it will all be freely available so that the skeletons will be able to be manufactured and sold to standard specifications so any module will work with any skeleton.

Thats why this VSENN is ruining it, and if apple and google dont get along, more competitors will appear with their own skeletons and blocks/modules trying to use ARA's concept :(

Yeah, exactly what I was about to say. Having competing platforms like this entirely defeats the point of the whole thing.

Not entirely. If one is more secure, functions better, costs less, etc. It will win out and the less successful one will go away after a few years of poor sales, leaving only the good one.

Or at least that's how it's supposed to work.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Not entirely. If one is more secure, functions better, costs less, etc. It will win out and the less successful one will go away after a few years of poor sales, leaving only the good one.

Or at least that's how it's supposed to work.

But more will come along

Or ara will get new models, and that new better model wont work with the old blocks

I 100% guarantee it

But more will come along

Or ara will get new models, and that new better model wont work with the old blocks

I 100% guarantee it

Fair enough, things will always change, of that there can be no doubt.

I'm just waiting for a built in geiger counter and gps module that can function without a satellite uplink.

I....I just want a pip boy damnit, IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?

Fair enough, things will always change, of that there can be no doubt.

I'm just waiting for a built in geiger counter and gps module that can function without a satellite uplink.

I....I just want a pip boy damnit, IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?

I know things will always change, but the premise behind phoneblocks when it started was that you just upgrade as time goes on, processor getting slow? buy a new one etc

but I know for a fact that 12 months later it will be like oh sorry that CPU is only compatible with the new model

dude if that happens, I am in the queue with you

It's all I'm going to say on this...

post-38950-0-59370400-1415288871.jpg

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I know things will always change, but the premise behind phoneblocks when it started was that you just upgrade as time goes on, processor getting slow? buy a new one etc

but I know for a fact that 12 months later it will be like oh sorry that CPU is only compatible with the new model

dude if that happens, I am in the queue with you

Good to know. And you have a good point.

Either way, it will all be made obsolete by cyborg technology when that starts picking up. All I want is a built in Ipod equivalent in my head.

Riiiight...I'm sure if we dig around we can find something that might be consider half way reputable and trust worthy but what are we looking at here? Text on a fucking page, a hastily made one at that. Laziest (eventual) kickstarter pan-handling ever.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Good to know. And you have a good point.

Either way, it will all be made obsolete by cyborg technology when that starts picking up. All I want is a built in Ipod equivalent in my head.

Yeah I love the idea of wearing augmented reality glasses (like the ones featured on unbox therapy) it basically functions like Oculus mixed with google glass

all your computing done via cloud or a powerful base station at home, would be awesome :)

Yeah I love the idea of wearing augmented reality glasses (like the ones featured on unbox therapy) it basically functions like Oculus mixed with google glass

all your computing done via cloud or a powerful base station at home, would be awesome :)

Meh, I'd never get something wireless installed in my body, too much chance of things going horribly wrong for a variety of reasons.

Meh, I'd never get something wireless installed in my body, too much chance of things going horribly wrong for a variety of reasons.

Not installed, I mean like a pair of glasses you wear

Like this - skip to 4:20 - obviously more sleek and slimline, maybe connects to a smartphone/smartwatch or functions on its own, it can have bone transducers so that you can hear it without having speakers/headphones, and maybe have sometihng like Control VR from oculus to control it fully for things like gaming etc :)

basically its a wearable start trek holodeck

LEL, my iPhone 4S has been evolving pretty well over the last three years... The battery life, for example, is now much better with iOS 8 than it used to be with iOS 5 :D

But your battery is still degrading over time

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Not installed, I mean like a pair of glasses you wear

Like this - skip to 4:20 - obviously more sleek and slimline, maybe connects to a smartphone/smartwatch or functions on its own, it can have bone transducers so that you can hear it without having speakers/headphones, and maybe have sometihng like Control VR from oculus to control it fully for things like gaming etc :)

basically its a wearable start trek holodeck

Ahh. I'd prefer the matrix or something similar for gaming

Because I (and the rest of the human race) wouldn't spend time with that fulfilling every sexual fantasy EVER......

>.>

<.<

Awesome, competition breeds the best of everything.

Well Ara does use the open unipro standard .anyone can use it

I Dont know if google owns the right to the design of how the parts "Fit" etc

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.