Post some Mac tips for Linus

Henry

@LinusTech is making an iSwitched to his iMac for ,I'm assuming, 30 days, so lets post some tips for him to help him out since well..he's been a Windows user since forever.

My Tips for him:

#1 - The FIRST thing he should download is BetterSnapTool. The lack of window snapping or double click titlebar to maximize is extremely irritating for a guy like me who has been using Windows most of his life. Oh yeah almost forgot, BetterSnapTool lets you maximize windows by double clicking the titlebar! Just like in Windows! <3

#2 - Refer to #1. Seriously, snapping on OS X is a MUST

#3 - http://lifehacker.com/5809879/how-to-get-windows-best-features-on-mac-os-x

#4 - Use the multi desktop feature thing and use all the touchpad gestures. They're awesome. Like to the point where I don't mind using no separate mouse (unless I'm like gaming)

@@@@@ Everyone tag Linus to this thread @@@@@

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Use bootcamp to install Windows, use that exclusively.

Not saying OSX is bad, but it's bad when you don't use anything else from the Apple ecosystem. (unless he still uses the iphone?)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

@LinusTech is making an iSwitched to his iMac for ,I'm assuming, 30 days, so lets post some tips for him.

My Tips for him:

#1 - The FIRST thing he should download is BetterSnapTool. The lack of window snapping or double click titlebar to maximize is extremely irritating for a guy like me who has been using Windows most of his life

#2 - Refer to #1. Seriously, snapping on OS X is a MUST

#3 - http://lifehacker.com/5809879/how-to-get-windows-best-features-on-mac-os-x

no1 - ignore your no 1-3 ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

throw it off of the office roof....you know like what he did w/ the power supply B)  

throw it off of the office roof....you know like what he did w/ the power supply B)  

And off a moving car.

He did it with the AX1200....

iMac 5K bendtest? 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

And off a moving car.

He did it with the AX1200....

lol I remember that one

i like using Alfred. absolute must for me!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Copy:

CMD+C

Paste:

CMD+V

Cut-Paste

CMD+C

CMD+ALT+V

Select all:

CMD+A

Software:

iStat menu

gtxcardstatut

CleanMyMac2

CMD + spacebar = spotlight search

in terminal - sudo purge = free up ram

Dream on little dreamer.

Copy:

CMD+C

Paste:

CMD+V

Cut-Paste

CMD+C

CMD+ALT+V

Select all:

CMD+A

Software:

iStat menu

gtxcardstatut

CleanMyMac2

Thumbs up for iStat menu / CleanMyMac2.

Thanks!

Intel Core i7-3930K | Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 | Corsair Hydro Series H100i | G.Skill Ares 64GB | MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC | Creative SoundBlaster Z | OCZ Vector SSD 128GB | WD CaviarBlack 640GB | WD RED 2TB | Coolermaster Silent Pro M600 | Coolermaster 690 Pure Black Edition Case | Triple Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2311H - 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM
Synology DS918+ (4 x 4TB WD RED, Kingston HyperX Impact 16GB, 2 x Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 250GB)

MacBook Pro (Retina 13-inch / 16GB Ram)
iPhone X 64GB Space Grey

Protip: install NTFS-3G if you want to have read/write support for the NTFS filesystem. Last time I checked, on OSX, NTFS is read-only.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Install Spectacle; it's a tiling WM for Os X.

Install Alfred; it's like Spotlight but a bit better.

Learn to navigate using the terminal.app.

Linux: The operating system with a CLUE; Command Line User Environment.

❤ Linux 

Protip: install NTFS-3G if you want to have read/write support for the NTFS filesystem. Last time I checked, on OSX, NTFS is read-only.

That's true. I found that out when I tried to wire the OS X Yosemite dmg file to my hdd for backup.

A known of mine told me about Tuxera NTFS for Mac. Haven't test it yet though..

Intel Core i7-3930K | Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 | Corsair Hydro Series H100i | G.Skill Ares 64GB | MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC | Creative SoundBlaster Z | OCZ Vector SSD 128GB | WD CaviarBlack 640GB | WD RED 2TB | Coolermaster Silent Pro M600 | Coolermaster 690 Pure Black Edition Case | Triple Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2311H - 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM
Synology DS918+ (4 x 4TB WD RED, Kingston HyperX Impact 16GB, 2 x Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 250GB)

iPhone X 64GB Space Grey

I have tuxera. Work great :)

also I have smoothmouse :)

I did not quite understand what smooth mouse does..

Any other useful apps for my MacBook my friend?

iPhone X 64GB Space Grey

Tuxera is based on NTFS-3G, but not free AFAIK.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

The FIRST thing he should download is BetterSnapTool. The lack of window snapping or double click titlebar to maximize is extremely irritating for a guy like me who has been using Windows most of his life

Yep, I have BetterSnapTool, and this makes my life much easier

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Get Divy: http://mizage.com/divvy/ the best windows manager for any operating system. i have hotkeys for certain sizes.... its great on my UM95, so I can fit every last thing on my desktop.

Also move the dock to the left or right side so you can have more vertical space (which i prefer over horizontal on my 21:9). 

Also bet noteaker ever:http://notational.net/

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Get the Magic Trackpad so you can use the gestures

Get BetterSnapTool

Get iStat Menus

Use the Virtual Desktops

Some good tips in here so far :)

You're welcome bae, just don't forget to reference to this thread in the video :P

Have some bootcamp on it for when you want to use windows apps. GET SNAP FEATURES. My lord does it make it better. gfxcardstatus. Macsfancontrol is amazing. Get lots of ram. Otherwise for daily things OS X is pretty damn perfect IMO.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Have some bootcamp on it for when you want to use windows apps. GET SNAP FEATURES. My lord does it make it better. gfxcardstatus. Macsfancontrol is amazing. Get lots of ram. Otherwise for daily things OS X is pretty damn perfect IMO.

No need to free ram in certain scenarios. Ex: Doing nothing uses alot of ram to speed things up