AMD will give consoles a Die-shrink first

silenthill_69

Seams that AMD is going to give a die-shrink to their APUs which are used in the PS4 & XBOX1(currently 28 nm), the new SOC(system on chip) will be 20 nm they will have the same GPU SP(shader processing units) count for both the PS4&XBOX1 & also the will have the same CPU core count which is 8 cores for both platforms so it seams no performance improvement as everyone expected, so why then do it? well AMD hopes to reduce the power draw for these APU's in order to save money on other components like power supplies & cooling which will help Sony & MICROSOFT reduce their costs ( so they can make more money of us the consumer), well guys seams that performance is not a concern and everything is FINE with the new PS4&XBOX, I thought they wouldn't change the APU's because it well cause a headache for the game developers, THANK GOD WE HAVE A PC INDUSTRY.

Information was gathered from several websites please feel free to correct any wrong info in this post but I'm quite sure this is the short version of the small print. ;)

post-154698-0-69736300-1415091475.jpg

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

performance is fine you say? lel ac unity at 900p 30fps glhf.

performance is not a concern my ass.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

1) I've read in places that they're going to make the consoles cheaper

2) A problem with making them more powerful is that some games won't be able to run on the lower-end Xbox Ones, which would ruin the standardisation that's one of the few things that people like about consoles, still.

3) Lower TDP means slimmer consoles, which would be pretty cool.

I wish they'd have given them more performance, but those are the arguments supporting it, I guess.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

1) I've read in places that they're going to make the consoles cheaper

2) A problem with making them more powerful is that some games won't be able to run on the lower-end Xbox Ones, which would ruin the standardisation that's one of the few things that people like about consoles, still.

3) Lower TDP means slimmer consoles, which would be pretty cool.

I wish they'd have given them more performance, but those are the arguments supporting it, I guess.

they done this with the xbox 360 and the xbox 360 slim i am sure and didn't change much 

not really. All the game would have to do is detect which version of the console it's running on and switch to the appropriate graphical preset. Devs can build in two presets. We are not talking about a whole new architecture here But rather a beefier and higher clocked version of the same AMD stuff.

hmm.. I am so happy that i didn't buy either of these. I am thinking to buy a an Wii U and continued to put my interest toward's to PC gaming. Also keep my PS1 because i have got a retro fewer now. :D

Failure is not an option!

Well I was hoping they'd use the die shrink to make them more powerful rather than cheaper. I mean they're already pretty cheap (relatively speaking) and making them more powerful would a) be a great marketing tool and b) help push devs back towards 1080p/60fps so that they can actually support the PC version properly

seems that AMD are more concerned about ps4&xbox1 because they didn't do a die-shrink for their pc APU's or is the ps4&xbox1 more profitable to them because this could mean big savings for them on the long run

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

b) help push devs back towards 1080p/60fps so that they can actually support the PC version properly

from a technical perspective there is nothing about the new consoles which is holding back pc gaming. Unless devs are artificially limiting the pc version with external pressure etc..

Seams that AMD is going to give a die-shrink to their APUs which are used in the PS4 & XBOX1(currently 28 nm), the new SOC(system on chip) will be 20 nm they will have the same GPU SP(shader processing units) count for both the PS4&XBOX1 & also the will have the same CPU core count which is 8 cores for both platforms so it seams no performance improvement as everyone expected, so why then do it? well AMD hopes to reduce the power draw for these APU's in order to save money on other components like power supplies & cooling which will help Sony & MICROSOFT reduce their costs ( so they can make more money of us the consumer), well guys seams that performance is not a concern and everything is FINE with the new PS4&XBOX, I thought they wouldn't change the APU's because it well cause a headache for the game developers, THANK GOD WE HAVE A PC INDUSTRY.

Information was gathered from several websites please feel free to correct any wrong info in this post but I'm quite sure this is the short version of the small print. ;)

Yea.. But still PC doesnt have gran turismo, Final fantasy XV, and uncharted T_T

it's a mixed bag with game devs one day 30fps is ok and the other that 1080p is not necessary or gamers should be more concerned with gameplay than image quality, it's become embarrassing really  

that's why I bought a ps4 ;)

that's why I bought a ps4 ;)

Good PC is built for playing good games. The sad thing is good games are console's exclusive T_T

So upcoming consoles will be cheaper, like a slim version.

Well that might be some really good news. Do you have the source of this?

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

not really. All the game would have to do is detect which version of the console it's running on and switch to the appropriate graphical preset. Devs can build in two presets. We are not talking about a whole new architecture here But rather a beefier and higher clocked version of the same AMD stuff.

I highly doubt they would do something like that, they'd have to test 2 version of the game on xbox or/and 2 version on play station.

​I think they'd rather throw the money into marketing instead of production and testing of 4 versions.

Your post is pretty subjective and doesn't include sources.

It's not that horrible to give us your opinion/expectations, but at least include sources. Now it's just propaganda, really.

Awesome. I'm glad they addressed this issue. I mean, who needs to play games at 60fps at 1080p? What we really need is a smaller plebstation and xbone! Nevermind the fact that the fucking power brick on the xbox is massive, let's make the console, a tiny amount smaller. 

I highly doubt they would do something like that, they'd have to test 2 version of the game on xbox or/and 2 version on play station.

​I think they'd rather throw the money into marketing instead of production and testing of 4 versions.

Not difficult at all considering all 4 systems would be x86 AMD octo cores with GCN graphics and unified memory.

And it will be just a subtle change e.g. like switching from 900p 30fps to 1080p 60fps or like bumping up a PC game from high to very high settings. The small amount of testing/tweaking required for this is peanuts compared to what PC devs have to do with testing on dozens of vastly different configurations.

Not difficult at all considering all 4 systems would be x86 AMD octo cores with GCN graphics and unified memory.

And it will be just a subtle change e.g. like switching from 900p 30fps to 1080p 60fps or like bumping up a PC game from high to very high settings. The small amount of testing/tweaking required for this is peanuts compared to what PC devs have to do with testing on dozens of vastly different configurations.

I don't know, I personally think that for them anything that would mean extra time producing what would essentially be one version split into two wouldn't be worth it. But hey that's my point of view.

Pretty sure this has already been posted in the tech news section... ;)

Good PC is built for playing good games. The sad thing is good games are console's exclusive T_T

Well, what is a "good game" by your standards is different than mine and everyone else's. I would strongly disagree and say that PC has far more/better exclusives.

Also, here we go with another PC vs. console thread... :rolleyes:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

from a technical perspective there is nothing about the new consoles which is holding back pc gaming. Unless devs are artificially limiting the pc version with external pressure etc..

I know but that's the problem. Plus game devs are making games that are being locked at 30fps or, in some less extreme cases, 60fps on PC supposedly because they will break if they aren't. Which I doubt wouldn't be a problem if the consoles were capable of playing these games at higher frame rates...