Xbox One vs. PS4 Graphics. Which is better?

DefeatingShark

If you're comparing the graphical powers of consoles, you're dumb.

You get a PC for graphical superiority, consoles are for console features. And Halo is indeed a feature worth considering.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Graphics? The difference is minimal. Resolution and frame-rate? PS4 is much better.

This is about as true of a statement to the current situation I can find.

Also to the poster who said that the Wii U had several 1080p 60 games, you're completely off your rocker. I bought the thing at launch. Love it to death. The only 1080p games I know about are Wind Waker HD (30fps) and Rayman Legends (60fps). Lots of stuff is 60fps like the Mario games but almost everything is a rock solid 720p usually vsynced and locked to 30. 

They both are almost equally the same performance wise but it is much easier to run games on ps4 where on the xbox one, code has to be well optimized to reach the same performance a ps4 has with less optimized code. I would not base your purchase on which one has more horsepower though. Buy the console that has the games you want to play or the console your friends have. Yes resolution makes the game look sharper but if you are going to be playing on a tv, it wont make a super huge difference at a lower resolution. Some people are more picky than others. If you have a gaming pc, try running a game at 1080p then at 900p and see how minimal the difference is from a distance.

yeah that's it, consoles aren't my specialty as you can tell xD but my point of the new versions of the consoles being made is still vaild news/rumors of it is everywhere... Linus and Luke even brought it up on the WANSHOW

I can't believe anyone, especially Luke or Linus believes that the consoles are going to get a performance update, why would they? they are providing solid performance for the dollar, and there is no precedent for it, the PS3 got a die shrink a year into its life but it wasn't faster, and i expect the PS4 to get a die shrink as soon as it can, but i have no doubt in my mind it will not get a performance update.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

PS4 has better graphics (power). Advanced Warfare runs at full-time 1080p 60FPS on the PS4, but not on the Xbox One

Xbox One has a GPU similar to the HD 7790 (R9 260X) whereas the PS4's GPU is similar to the HD 7870 (R9 270) 

Yes I know the PS4 has slightly better graphics (at this point it's which is the lesser of the two evils not which is better) I don't think your specific card comparisons are right considering neither has a dedicated graphics card odds are more likely than not like Kaveri it's no stronger than R7 250

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I can't believe anyone, especially Luke or Linus believes that the consoles are going to get a performance update, why would they? they are providing solid performance for the dollar, and there is no precedent for it, the PS3 got a die shrink a year into its life but it wasn't faster, and i expect the PS4 to get a die shrink as soon as it can, but i have no doubt in my mind it will not get a performance update.

Their performance per dollar is absolute shit, you know that right? the PS4s BOM cost is roughly equivalent to it's sales cost.. but the PS3 at releases BOM cost was roughly $800 and they sold for ~$500-600  and sony accepted the loss because they were selling games rampantly  and weren't in as bad a financial situation as they are in now, and multiple companies in the field have told Sony and Microsoft the power on the consoles is underwhelming even AMD themselves the manufacturer of the CPU, GPU, and RAM for the two consoles has said this, And lots of rumors are saying this not just Linus and Luke, they're are likely due for an upgrade, infact I'm gonna laugh if they don't give PS4 and XB1 an upgrade and just make PS5 and XB2 next year xD another thing to consider is that consoles are now on x86_64

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

PS4 technically but I wouldn't make a decision based on the specs. The only reason you buy one console over another is if you want to play with your friends who play on that platform or if there are exclusives you're after. In both cases the decision has already been made for you. For me out of those two I'd probably lean slightly towards the PS4 because some of the stuff their first party devs are making is slightly more interesting to me. That said I'm not really interested in either and got a Wii U instead because I have a PC and I wanted to be able to play Nintendo's games

Also to the poster who said that the Wii U had several 1080p 60 games, you're completely off your rocker. I bought the thing at launch. Love it to death. The only 1080p games I know about are Wind Waker HD (30fps) and Rayman Legends (60fps). Lots of stuff is 60fps like the Mario games but almost everything is a rock solid 720p usually vsynced and locked to 30. 

The vast majority of the stuff that is 60fps and often 1080p is the Nintendo developed content or stuff done by close partners like Platinum games. And frankly that's the only sort of content anyone is buying the Wii U for so it's a moot point I think. You're not buying into the Wii U for CoD, Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Their performance per dollar is absolute shit, you know that right? the PS4s BOM cost is roughly equivalent to it's sales cost.. but the PS3 at releases BOM cost was roughly $800 and they sold for ~$500-600  and sony accepted the loss because they were selling games rampantly  and weren't in as bad a financial situation as they are in now, and multiple companies in the field have told Sony and Microsoft the power on the consoles is underwhelming even AMD themselves the manufacturer of the CPU, GPU, and RAM for the two consoles has said this, And lots of rumors are saying this not just Linus and Luke, they're are likely due for an upgrade, infact I'm gonna laugh if they don't give PS4 and XB1 an upgrade and just make PS5 and XB2 next year xD another thing to consider is that consoles are now on x86_64

They aren't doing any worse performance wise than the last gen consoles were a year in, the 8800 wiped the floor with them, but people are acting like this gen is suddenly much worse. by what logic are they due for an upgrade? im sure they will be around for the usual 6 years or so, software can only get more optimised for them as time goes on.

besides the biggest chunk of the Bom on PS3 is the bluray, otherwise it would have been like 400-500,

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The vast majority of the stuff that is 60fps and often 1080p is the Nintendo developed content or stuff done by close partners like Platinum games. And frankly that's the only sort of content anyone is buying the Wii U for so it's a moot point I think. You're not buying into the Wii U for CoD, Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs.

But the thing is that very very little of it is really 1080p. There are lots of 60fps titles. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Ninja Gaiden 3, Tekken Tag 2, Sonic Lost World, are all 720p 60. Many many more are 30. There are only 3 retail games to my knowledge on Wii U that run at an actual 1920x1080 and those are Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (35-40fps usually), Rayman Legends (60 lock), and Wind Waker HD (30 with minor dips). Out of the 23 games I have plus a quick google search of the ones I don't, that's what I've found. 

As for the argument for only buying a Wii U for X content. I think that's only true to a certain extent. I didn't buy my Mac for gaming but that doesn't mean I don't want to game on it sometimes. Similarly, I bought the Wii U for Nintendo games but I still own tons of third party stuff for it. You can't simply sweep the fact that those games exist and run at a certain spec on the machine because nobody buys them. It's still indicative of performance.

And for the record, the stuff that has been worked on properly looks pretty okay considering the hardware. Most Wanted U and Deus Ex being particular highlights. 

PS4 is more powerful, but the difference in graphics is usually none or very small. You'll only see any difference with exclusive titles really. Just get which ever more of your friends have, or which is cheaper if you're not interested in multiplayer.

That's not true. Look at games like Ground Zeroes, the Xbox version looks like an early PS3 game while the PS4 version actually looks very decent for a console game.

But the thing is that very very little of it is really 1080p. There are lots of 60fps titles. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Ninja Gaiden 3, Tekken Tag 2, Sonic Lost World, are all 720p 60. Many many more are 30. There are only 3 retail games to my knowledge on Wii U that run at an actual 1920x1080 and those are Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (35-40fps usually), Rayman Legends (60 lock), and Wind Waker HD (30 with minor dips). Out of the 23 games I have plus a quick google search of the ones I don't, that's what I've found. 

As for the argument for only buying a Wii U for X content. I think that's only true to a certain extent. I didn't buy my Mac for gaming but that doesn't mean I don't want to game on it sometimes. Similarly, I bought the Wii U for Nintendo games but I still own tons of third party stuff for it. You can't simply sweep the fact that those games exist and run at a certain spec on the machine because nobody buys them. It's still indicative of performance.

And for the record, the stuff that has been worked on properly looks pretty okay considering the hardware. Most Wanted U and Deus Ex being particular highlights. 

That, and lots of WiiU games don't actually stay at 60 fps. Bayonetta 2 is often around 40-50 with drops into the 30s.

If you're comparing the graphical powers of consoles, you're dumb.

You get a PC for graphical superiority, consoles are for console features. And Halo is indeed a feature worth considering.

Maybe he wants console exclusives?

They aren't doing any worse performance wise than the last gen consoles were a year in, the 8800 wiped the floor with them, but people are acting like this gen is suddenly much worse. by what logic are they due for an upgrade? im sure they will be around for the usual 6 years or so, software can only get more optimised for them as time goes on.

besides the biggest chunk of the Bom on PS3 is the bluray, otherwise it would have been like 400-500,

It's been like this since the launch of PS4 and XB1,  No year in was required...  And no the BluRay on the PS3 didn't cost $300-400 -.- cost about ~150 the bom cost without it still was higher than sony was selling the PS3 for granted not nearly as much as it was with it... And as I said consoles are now X86_64 meaning software optimization is nearly at it's peak already only hope they have is DirectX12 or Mantle saving the day... Oh and another thing with your comparison the 8800 as the jump between 7800 and 8800 was nearly a doubling in performance difference between say 780Ti and 980 ~10% also  The PS3 atleast was comparable to 7800 which was a HIGH END CARD... now the PS4 chugs along trying to match the R7 260x  A card that costs as much as a PS4 controller +1 game

It's been like this since the launch of PS4 and XB1, No year in was required... And no the BluRay on the PS3 didn't cost $300-400 -.- cost about ~150 the bom cost without it still was higher than sony was selling the PS3 for granted not nearly as much as it was with it... And as I said consoles are now X86_64 meaning software optimization is nearly at it's peak already only hope they have is DirectX12 or Mantle saving the day... Oh and another thing with your comparison the 8800 as the jump between 7800 and 8800 was nearly a doubling in performance difference between say 780Ti and 980 ~10% also The PS3 atleast was comparable to 7800 which was a HIGH END CARD... now the PS4 chugs along trying to match the R7 260x A card that costs as much as a PS4 controller +1 game

While there's not a while lot of optimization to go into x64, but it's the way you use the CPU, there is optimization work involved in CPU, RAM, bandwidth between each processor, and then there's the GPU, there is tons to optimize in a GCN GPU, why don't you check out what an actual Dev has to say about the console

4A, the developer of the Metro series:

For example we have not utilised parallel compute contexts due to the lack of time and the 'alpha' state of support on those consoles at that time. That means that there is a lot of untapped performance that should translate into better visuals and gameplay as we get more familiar with the hardware.

Digital Foundry: We are essentially looking at smartly integrated versions of existing PC components. For the first time we have parity in the architectures of all major platforms - how important is that for you?

Oles Shishkovstov: Well, similar GPU architecture is a good thing, really. The reason is that modern GPUs are really complex devices with not-so-obvious performance cliffs. You can't say anymore: 'Here we are ALU limited or ROP limited or texture addressing limited or texture filtering limited or occupancy limited.' There is no correct and simple answer at all. We could be somewhat limited by ALU and somewhat limited by texture addressing and somewhat limited by bandwidth - all at the same time... Mastering that takes some time. As for the CPU - it doesn't really matter at all, as long as performance is enough.

Sorry for the wall of text here's the link

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metro-redux-what-its-really-like-to-make-a-multi-platform-game

• 3 months later...

Ya ps4 the Xbone Gou is clocked I think at 824mhz and the ps4 is 800mhz but runs games better. If the xbone was also 800 run at 900p like the 360 since ram clock is really low not good for an APU

Well the Wii (JK, its for kids)

PS4 is more powerful and so usually has the higher native resolution 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Wii.

/s

PC obs.

CPU: I7-5820k @ 4.7 GHZ 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100I GTX 
Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8x8GB (64GB Total) 
Storage: 4x 850 EVO 1000GB & 1x 5TB Seagate HDD 
PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum 
GPU: EVGA Titan X 12GB SLI (2x) 
Case: Corsair 400C 
Monitor: ASUS ROG PG279Q 165hz 

They're the same. Just stop whining about how "Xbox one has better graphics than the PS4" JUST STOP. 

PS4 is more powerful although the contrast is lower on the XBO, which I kind of like. 

PS4 is more powerful although the contrast is lower on the XBO, which I kind of like.

You like a lower contrast, as in a worse contrast ratio? I think you mean lower brightness.

You like a lower contrast, as in a worse contrast ratio? I think you mean lower brightness.

Nope, contrast.