Is Star Citizen worth buying?

Swalox
Go to solution Solved by Artofinca,

simple answer - yes.

I wonder if Star Citizen is worth buying now for a person who loves space games. If it's worth what ship should i get? (I guess the Aurora)

It's not a game that exists, all you can get is alpha stuff.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I wonder if Star Citizen is worth buying now for a person who loves space games. If it's worth what ship should i get? (I guess the Aurora)

i just recently donated 60 euro's. Could walk around in the hangar and try out the arena commander. It look realy promising, and considering the devs are realy open about their project (they often do livestreams and such), they give every month a brief overview about what they achieved that month. This game could be a real innovater, and while they already have 60.000.000 dollars , it doesn't hurt donating more right? I'm not the kind of person that likes to donate money to an uncompleted game, but since these developers are so open about their project, i thought i would take the leap of faith.

If you love the concept, then go for it. And i think a person who loves space games, will get an enormous nerdgasm when he has this game in his hands.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

I don't think it is worth buying as of now. There is very little actual gameplay out, and what is out isn't is subject to change before the release. I would give it a while, maybe until it is closer to the release and the game is actually further throught development to sink some money into it. I'm certainly not placing any money down as of now, and it's not that I don't trust the developers, it's just because of the hype behind it and I would rather not be disappointed if the game does turn out to be a bit of a let down. That said, as the days pass, I am getting more and more tempted to say screw it, and give into Star Citizen and buy a ship and the game itself. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

It's not a game that exists, all you can get is alpha stuff.

Indeed. I'm aware of that

They have said it will be more expensive when released so buying now and enjoying the fun is cheaper. That said you wont have Alpha assess (End of 2015) so you would have to buy modules. But you will have every thing at the release 2016 maybe  :(   ? 

My opinion is BUY BUY BUY... But that could be said for most things  :wacko: I have and i'm very much enjoying the ride!

I only play arena commander and vanduul swarm as it's a bit addictive.

As for buying it now, if you believe in the project then go for it

I don't think it is worth buying as of now. There is very little actual gameplay out, and what is out isn't is subject to change before the release. I would give it a while, maybe until it is closer to the release and the game is actually further throught development to sink some money into it. I'm certainly not placing any money down as of now, and it's not that I don't trust the developers, it's just because of the hype behind it and I would rather not be disappointed if the game does turn out to be a bit of a let down. That said, as the days pass, I am getting more and more tempted to say screw it, and give into Star Citizen and buy a ship and the game itself. 

Give in to the temptation and become a Citizen today! :P

I have sunk quite some money into this project, firstly for the ships and the game, but secondly to support the devs and the project itself. It is different than other games out there and I like that. So if you want to support the BDSSE, go for it!

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I think they where saying the first chapter (out of 4?) of squadron 42 is about 20hrs and nearing completion so it's worth the money alone for that

TBH playing vanduul swarm coop with some of the other guys on the forum was worth the £27 alone

I think it's totally worth it. Plus, it's cheaper now than at release, and you get to enjoy it for longer and see how everything progresses :)

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

So you guys are telling me if i buy this pack ( https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-Plus ) i get the full game and access immediately?

If so, im in.

No that gives you beta access.

You want this one.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Arena-Commander-Starter

Unfortunately alpha access ran out about June time, you now have to pay for each module

No that gives you beta access.

You want this one.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Arena-Commander-Starter

Unfortunately alpha access ran out about June time, you now have to pay for each module

Well there is nothing wrong with the first package but he could buy arena commander alongside it. Really it  doesn't matter. Although he was partly correct in getting the whole game, the modules are just a quick way in before the release. Though I guess the mustang will cost exactly the same as the Aurora and you can melt it for a transfer. Might be worth the wait.

Well there is nothing wrong with the first package but he could buy arena commander alongside it. Really it doesn't matter. Although he was partly correct in getting the whole game, the modules are just a quick way in before the release. Though I guess the mustang will cost exactly the same as the Aurora and you can melt it for a transfer. Might be worth the wait.

Yes but he wouldn't have instant access

For me the AC is worth it after the last patch. Now that the controls are so much better, the game is starting to really feel nice. Before I was loosing faith sometimes. Now I'm sure it's all gonna work out real good.

I'd say its definitely worth it, the last couple of patches to AC have made it hella fun, I've gone from jumping on it from time to time to check out what's new and get a bit of eye candy to actually playing it as one of my regulars (albeit not as regular as I'd like due to lack of spare time). IDK if I'd be having as much fun with just an Aurora though, I have one for a bit of exploration/backup ship/runabout when the PU comes out but whenever I play AC I take my Hornet out, its both faster and better armed and after playing in that going to a Aurora is a bit underwhelming. In fact after trying the M50 the other week when all the ships were available I kinda want one for racing but after getting a Freelancer vowed that would be my money maker so I could buy any future ships in game.

Well there is nothing wrong with the first package but he could buy arena commander alongside it. Really it  doesn't matter. Although he was partly correct in getting the whole game, the modules are just a quick way in before the release. Though I guess the mustang will cost exactly the same as the Aurora and you can melt it for a transfer. Might be worth the wait.

Do you think the Mustang will be the same price? Damn... I will definitely wait for the Mustang if it is so. 

Do you think the Mustang will be the same price? Damn... I will definitely wait for the Mustang if it is so.

It should be in the same range, as they are both starterships.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

It is not even a game yet.  If there is something out there you would rather play right now spend the money on that.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

simple answer - yes.

>> www.artofinca.com << Star Citizen fan art post https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/116794/star-citizen-fan-art-by-artofinca

pilot: Inca Talmir  ships: Freelancer MIS, M50, ???  play-style: Team-play  groups: Military, Exploration, Special ops, Support, Bears.

Currently you can pickup a AMD Mustang package for 30 bucks on Ebay just use a verified paypal seller to protect yourself. If you are not sold on the game you could also just wait for it to release. I won't ever admit how much I have invested into this game happening, but I feel its worth it.

We can build it, we have the technology!

Currently you can pickup a AMD Mustang package for 30 bucks on Ebay just use a verified paypal seller to protect yourself. If you are not sold on the game you could also just wait for it to release. I won't ever admit how much I have invested into this game happening, but I feel its worth it.

Just make sure to keep your RSI profile set to a low rank then. As you probably know it reflects how much you've spent.

That was more LOL comment. RSI forum I am fine letting that community know what I have invested into the game and community. As a side note the AMD Mustang package doesn't count towards the value invested into the game for your in game Titles.

We can build it, we have the technology!

If you have the mentality that you want to be involved and contribute to the development of the game, go for it. But if you have to ask if its "worth it" right now, you're going to be much happier if you wait.