the fps 'hunt'

BenD

So....

I can agree that 30fps is bullshit, but arround 60fps is as much as the human eye can process
to prove that, the electricity net is 60hz or 50hz depending where you live, this is set because that way we don't see lights going on and off (AC)µ

as an electrician stand of view, you would think that anything above 60fps just a waste of effort? you won't see it anyway, i even have people complaining about their eyes hurt when playing high fps games.
even i have that problem.

And i don't really get why people are bragging about: i can get 80fps out of that game or whatever... As a gamer i just want the best experience out of that game, if that games at 40 fps or at 100fps, if i can enjoy the game at the highest settings my system can handle without the game starts to lag or something, i'm pretty much a happy gamer...

so please explain to my why a lot you guys think it's important enough to even care about it

edit: clearly i was wrong, you can all stop quoting me, making me feel stupid and such stuff. i asked for help to help me understand, not for all this shit most of you are dumping on me.

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

Then explain why most can see a difference between 60fps and 144fps

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

So....

I can agree that 30fps is bullshit, but arround 60fps is as much as the human eye can process

to prove that, the electricity net is 60hz or 50hz depending where you live, this is set because that way we don't see lights going on and off (AC)µ

as an electrician stand of view, you would think that anything above 60fps just a waste of effort? you won't see it anyway, i even have people complaining about their eyes hurt when playing high fps games.

And i don't really get why people are bragging about: i can get 80fps out of that game or whatever... As a gamer i just want the best experience out of that game, if that games at 40 fps or at 100fps, if i can enjoy the game at the highest settings my system can handle without the game starts to lag or something, i'm pretty much a happy gamer...

so please explain to my why a lot you guys think it's important enough to even care about it

Look at this video:

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Then explain why most can see a difference between 60fps and 144fps

Perhaps it has something to do with the refresh rates. Basically the eye had to refresh the image infinitly to do it at the same time as the monitor does.

Just specualting about things btw.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Perhaps it has something to do with the refresh rates. Basically the eye had to refresh the image infinitly to do it at the same time as the monitor does.

Just specualting about things btw.

Eyes don't have refresh rates....

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

A lightbulb is actually not showing 50-60Hz but in most cases it is constant light, why? Because the little thread whichc creates the light, get's so hot that it doesn't cool down enough to stop lighting up, thereby it's pretty close to a constant light.

When in doubt: C4

So....

Light bulbs actually flicker at twice the frequency (or even more, depends on design)

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

A lightbulb is actually not showing 50-60Hz but in most cases it is constant light, why? Because the little thread whichc creates the light, get's so hot that it doesn't cool down enough to stop lighting up, thereby it's pretty close to a constant light.

I don't know how lightbulbs work, but this makes sense to me.

Actually, many fluorescent bulbs flicker many thousands of times per second (think 20kHz to 40kHz) by means of a dedicated controller within the lamp. Furthermore, older lights which do flicker at 50/60Hz to 100/120Hz do not fully turn off and turn back on, they dim and return to full brightness, making it a much less obvious flicker. And DC lights do not have any flickering whatsoever because they continuously use electricity.

Games on the other hand have constantly changing, quick moving and different looking frames being put onto the screen, making a stuttering effect much more noticable, especially when there is an irregular delay between frames (which is very bad).

Eyes don't have refresh rates....

Then why don't they sse more than 60hz? Like I actually do not get it.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Then why don't they sse more than 60hz? Like I actually do not get it.

They do... 

OP had an argument which doesn't really make any sense.

if your eye can't see more than 24 fps then how the 40 or 60 fps games are alot smoother than 20-30 fps games

So....

Ignore most of the comments in this thread they are wrong.   When you are playing a game you can detect the higher frame rate because of the system lag as a whole, not because the eye can see the higher frames specifically.

Image persistence actually prevents the human eye from seeing above on average about 74 FPS for images with a constant luminosity.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In some games the engine glitches if it goes over a certain amount of FPS, apart from that, 60FPS is fine

don't know what your talking about because i can see the difference between 60hz and 144hz

If you had 2 videos playing at 60Hz and 144Hz, I bet you could not notice it. It is the faster response and the lower lag between you moving your mouse and the cursor moving that you can notice.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

if your eye can't see more than 24 fps then how the 40 or 60 fps games are alot smoother than 20-30 fps games

Because there is less lag between you moving and the character moving. At least that is how I see it.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Because there is less lag between you moving and the character moving. At least that is how I see it.

That's nail on the head.  The nervous system (between eyes and brain and brain and hands) works significantly faster than the receptors in our eyes, which have a persistence that needs to be blanked by our brain or whenever we moved our heads everything would blur causing us to become nauseous.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh please, no. Not this again. Our eyes are so complex that it can't be boiled down to how many fps we can see!

Your brain and your eyes work together analyzing information from millions of sources to build the picture you see when you open your eyes.

Is 60 fps enough for most people? Yes. Is it all the eye can see? NO!

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Oh please, no. Not this again. Our eyes are so complex that it can't be boiled down to how many fps we can see!

Your brain and your eyes work together analyzing information from millions of sources to build the picture you see when you open your eyes.

Is 60 fps enough for most people? Yes. Is it all the eye can see? NO!

Our eyes aren't that complex at all, it's just that people don't understand how they work because there is a lot of BS miss information from tech websites on the subject.

EDIT:

Before people start linking me to vidya game websites as proof, here's the real information:

http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869P/CHEM869PLinks/www.ece.wpi.edu/infoeng/textbook/node71.html

http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03204258

http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03204935

www.cns.nyu.edu/~eero/csh04/Articles/Adelson-Bergen-85.pdf

http://www.30vs60.com/

and http://testufo.com/#test=framerates

Tests with fighter pilots have shown that they could identify a plane that was only shown to them 1/220th of a second,they identified it,so it's safe to say they can see it with 1/300th of a second or maybe even higher.

So yes,trained fighter pilots can see up to 300 fps,so that means any human can do that with some training. 

In theory people can see up to 1000 fps,because the myelinated nerves can fire up to a 1000 times per second,and process this information with 200 miles and hour,only problem is our normal untrained brain can't process it so fast

So....

has nothing to do with visuals. Like you say, its how smooth it feels if you are using mouse and keyboard. diminishing returns start at around 45 fps though.

if you are using a gamepad, whole different story. I was playing through Need for Speed: the Run last week, and the game felt as smooth as butter using my 360 controller. I turned on my fraps counter and was shocked to find out the game was locked at 30 fps... I was certain I had been playing 60 fps the whole time. but that just goes to show its mostly about input and the feeling of responsiveness, and how smooth each frame is delivered.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR