GeForce GTX 970 Coil Whine Concerns

BiG StroOnZ

Not had an issue with mine. I have the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming. Only time I have coil whine which I have heard is when I ran a benchmark and the FPS hit something stupid like 5000 FPS (PerformanceTest 7.0).

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I ran my monitor at 120hz to achieve 120 visible foa. Coil whine wasn't audible.

But why aren't you running it at 120 hz standard if you have the monitor for it? :P

Started folding today and... the whining....WHY? It sounds like a kettle on a stovetop.

edit: If anyone has a glue solution that would work and a link to a good guide that I could use for fixing this, that would be great.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Only in menus and when running synthetic benchmarks. And even then it's only audible if I turn off all computer and game audio. 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

My GTX 650 Ti and GTX 660 both from MSI isn't audible. In two weeks when I get a new motherboard and PSU I will see if both GTX 780's have it though limiting the fps does sound like sound advice so certainly will be giving it ago.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

with elektronics coilwine will allways be there. :)

But its not allways noticable.

oh.my.god. Started folding today and omfg, the whining....WHY? It sounds like a kettle on a stovetop, do they even test these cards at all for loads before they sell them??... I don't... I don't understand... it's ... it's a ... it's a 380 dollar card....

edit: If anyone has a glue solution that would work and a link to a good guide that I could use for fixing this, that would be great.

not sure what you are working on, but certain core 17 wu's aren't being shipped to maxwell atm because they don't work.

so we get core 15-16 frequently. coil whine is alot more common on core 15-16 than it is on core 17 wu's.

But why aren't you running it at 120 hz standard if you have the monitor for it? :P

I don't want it to die.

Well considering I built my pc to be near complete silence this puts me off 970s hell I chose the PSU I did because it's 100% silent, has no coil whine and has never needed to use it's fan in my system, my 770 is dead silent during windows and pretty damn hard to hear in games with all the sound absorbing foam I added to the inside of my case well everywhere but the window of course.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Coil wine... Gosh how much I hate it. My 6950's luckily don't coil whine at all. But they are getting old. I have to deal with terrible fan noise instead -_-

Dem bearings cry out for help everytime I play BF4

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

hahaha that's hilarious. I don't suffer from coil whine but if change some settings it does create an annoying coil whine with synthetic benchmarks.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

not sure what you are working on, but certain core 17 wu's aren't being shipped to maxwell atm because they don't work.

so we get core 15-16 frequently. coil whine is alot more common on core 15-16 than it is on core 17 wu's.

I don't know what this means, can you explain?

edit: Ok, I read that there are certain types of FAH work units. I guess certain structures are better optimized for certain processing architextures.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I don't know what this means, can you explain?

edit: Ok, I read that there are certain types of FAH work units. I guess certain structures are better optimized for certain processing architextures.

Every kind of workload will have a different behaviour on the VRM's, the switching frequency isn't static.

My ASUS 980 (reference) has no noticeable whine while idle or while under heavy load, fortunately. That said, I'll be keeping a close eye on this to make sure it doesn't pop up. Did the people who have these issue notice it off the bat, or is it something that has developed over time?

So far I have no Coil whine's from my 2 G1 Gaming cards.

And no Coil whine both on my old XFX 750W and my newly installed 1000W G2

Tested on software's that allows me to produce 300+ fps (which usually is the trigger from my old MSi GTX 770 Lightning which had Coil Whine, when I hit alot of FPS OCd at 1431 Core clock).  Tested the same for the G1 Gaming at core clocks, 1401, 1566, 1601, 1701. No Coil whine at all at high FPS. Hopefully it stays that way  :ph34r:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @4.5Ghz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 | Cooler : Cryorig R1 Ultimate | Ram: 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 2-Way SLi | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo / 4x2TB Caviar Black | PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W G2 | Windows 7 64-bit  | Case: Enthoo Pro | オール・イズ・バニッティー (all is vanity)

If you work hard, you can make your own Luck.

Nope with Asus Strix

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I don't want it to die.

So, the wording 'overclocking' was not a joke, you actually overclocked a screen?

How do you do this?

So, the wording 'overclocking' was not a joke, you actually overclocked a screen?

How do you do this?

So evga precision less me do it and all I do is go into NVIDIA Control Panel and make sure it's selected.

How do you do this?

Yea it is simple really. All you do, is open the Nvidia or AMD graphics card control panel, and you create a custom resolution which matches the native one that you have, but you increase the refresh rate. That is all. Basically, you are just pushing a higher refresh rate, and hope it works. It usually doesn't. Fancier the monitor, the more likelly it won't work.

And, you usually don't go far, maybe 75Hz tops in most cases, if we ignore all cases where it doesn't work.

The monitor may experience frame skipping, or colors won't be as good as before, or teh image will be distorded in some fashion, in some cases.

So evga precision less me do it and all I do is go into NVIDIA Control Panel and make sure it's selected.

Yea it is simple really. All you do, is open the Nvidia or AMD graphics card control panel, and you create a custom resolution which matches the native one that you have, but you increase the refresh rate. That is all. Basically, you are just pushing a higher refresh rate, and hope it works. It usually doesn't. Fancier the monitor, the more likelly it won't work.

And, you usually don't go far, maybe 75Hz tops in most cases, if we ignore all cases where it doesn't work.

The monitor may experience frame skipping, or colors won't be as good as before, or teh image will be distorded in some fashion, in some cases.

Very interesting! Thanks for the info

Is there a way to skip certain WU's or to backlog them for later? I would much rather leave my computer running WU's with coil whine while I'm at college or out and about instead of pausing them indefinitely while I browse the internet at home.

Is there a way to skip certain WU's or to backlog them for later? I would much rather leave my computer running WU's with coil whine while I'm at college or out and about instead of pausing them indefinitely while I browse the internet at home.

As far as i am aware you have no control.

Most functionality would be prone to abuse

if people wanted to avoid certain wu's. 

So you can't really cherry pick. 

As far as i am aware you have no control.

Most functionality would be prone to abuse

if people wanted to avoid certain wu's. 

So you can't really cherry pick. 

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first looked at point calculations and how long each would take. Skipping those that don't yield enough reward seems like it would be abused and people might be more inclined to take the shorter WU's instead of the longer ones.

i never buy hardware when it first comes out because of this and many other issues that came up, i hope that when i get my stix that its all resolved :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask!