[Official] - XBox One Always On

GoodBytes

Microsoft has confirmed officially that the XBox One will do online checks, on XBox own website.

Xbox_Consle_Sensr_controllr_F_TransBG_RG

To be exact, the XBox One will do 24h checks, and if you play from a different console, with your account, it will do hourly checks.

Offline gaming is NOT POSSIBLE.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection

Also Microsoft adds:

For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. [...]

In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.

Source: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

In the press announcement, Microsoft's Don Mattrick said that the console, will "not have always-on requirement for single-player games".

and adds "Gamers can calm down, we got you covered," Mattrick said.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/6/4403924/xbox-one-always-on-online-requirements

I guess Microsoft has a different definition of "Always-on". For me it is always on. Because as soon as the time lapse, and you have no internet connection, you can't play your game.

At this point, having internet go out is pretty much equivalent to having the power go out. Can't do anything until it comes back up.

Internet down?

Fine, I'll just go watch TV.  Oh wait, I use Netflix. 

Fine, I'll play my new Xbox.  Oh wait, Its a One. 

Fine,  I'll go on my computer.  Oh wait, what good is a computer without internet.

Microsoft will learn once the sales plummet... What if I want to go to my hunting cabin (which is in the middle of nowhere, no internet) and play some games during downtime?? I hope the Xbox-One fails because their ideas just don't work for a console. Microsoft is a good company, they just need to learn what consumers want...

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

lel. However, once they see sales are down I'm sure some sort of fix will be implemented.

†††††

Tumblr // Collection // Wantlist // Last.fm †††††

Not a good move from Microsoft, shame really.

Why can't they just make shit simple?

Bring back the SNES.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Say goodbye to the millions of dollars that you would lose in 2nd & 3rd world markets M$.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

At this point, having internet go out is pretty much equivalent to having the power go out. Can't do anything until it comes back up.

Internet down?

Fine,  I'll go on my computer.  Oh wait, what good is a computer without internet.

The problem is connection issue at the moment the console does it checks. Think about Microsoft servers not responding at the time. It's basically going to be headache.

Every company that tries this models, fails miserably. Even when I login to StarCraft 2, they are occasion where the server is down, and I have to try again..It works.. but imagine playing a game, and the checks fails.... well I hope you saved right before.

The problem is connection issue at the moment the console does it checks. Think about Microsoft servers not responding at the time. It's basically going to be headache.

Every company that tries this models, fails miserably. Even when I login to StarCraft 2, they are occasion where the server is down, and I have to try again..It works.. but imagine playing a game, and the checks fails.... well I hope you saved right before.

Prepare yourself for login queues.

This reminds me of what Logan said.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

"The Xbox One needs to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours, or its ability to play games is shut down" /facepalm

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

im still confused by this, so it checks every 24hours, after it checks can you disconnect from the internet?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

im still confused by this, so it checks every 24hours, after it checks can you disconnect from the internet?

Yes.

The Xbox One will be on a timer, so when you are offline for 24 hours, the Xbox One will block you from using the console until it gets a live Internet connection.

Good luck Microsoft! You're going to need it! Our armed forces will be buying a PS4, my friends will be building gaming PCs this summer and none of us are going to look back! Good luck at E3 as well!

Yes.

The Xbox One will be on a timer, so when you are offline for 24 hours, the Xbox One will block you from using the console until it gets a live Internet connection.

Good luck Microsoft! You're going to need it! Our armed forces will be buying a PS4, my friends will be building gaming PCs this summer and none of us are going to look back! Good luck at E3 as well!

The sad thing is that Microsoft will have some exclusive content on Call Of Duty, and present Halo at E3, and just to get retro gamers, will put Crash Bandicoot, all will be lunch titles, and people will wait outside the store to rush and buy the XBox One, no question asked.

I have internet 24/7 and I hate this concept. Rarely my internet fails, but I remember a Sunday, three or four months ago, were there was an Internet outage for about 4 hours. What I did to occupy my time was play some single player games I didn't play on my PS3 before (inFamous 2 for example). If this was a thing back then, I wouldn't be able to play the games I legitimately bought and would be deprived from my gaming just because these $h*t heads want to protect themselves from piracy! Well, what they deserve now is that Xbox One is hacked day ONE. Maybe the name would make more sense then! This just pisses me off...

Microsoft just went full retard.

I have internet 24/7 and I hate this concept. Rarely my internet fails, but I remember a Sunday, three or four months ago, were there was an Internet outage for about 4 hours. What I did to occupy my time was play some single player games I didn't play on my PS3 before (inFamous 2 for example). If this was a thing back then, I wouldn't be able to play the games I legitimately bought and would be deprived from my gaming just because these $h*t heads want to protect themselves from piracy! Well, what they deserve now is that Xbox One is hacked day ONE. Maybe the name would make more sense then! This just pisses me off...

Microsoft just went full retarded.

It only needs to check a internet connection every 24 hours. So if your internet goes down for 4 hours again you'll be fine.

It only needs to check a internet connection every 24 hours. So if your internet goes down for 4 hours again you'll be fine.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been without Internet for a full 24 hours any time in the past decade, so I don't see a huge deal...

I have had a 48h outage about 1 and half years ago. Though it was a while ago, these things can happen. And what if the end of that 24h period meets with my 4h outage period? What then? EVEN if it is a 24h period, the next step is to make it permanent. We, as consumers and gamers, should not allow this type of DRM. I think it's too intrusive. I mean, I only speak for myself, but I think it is common agreement that DRM is a bad thing. As Linus said, vote with your wallet; at least I will.

Oh and btw, about that mobile broadband thing? I can't tell you how many times the internet at my grandparents' house has gone out while I was there. And they have, supposedly, 4G network. I usually take my PS3 there to play with my cousins during the holidays, but playing online is impossible! I can't imagine if the PS3 had this 24h check-in BS. Again: Microsoft just went full retard!

Yeah, I don't think I've ever been without Internet for a full 24 hours any time in the past decade, so I don't see a huge deal...

About that: not every country has a good infrastructure. I am quite lucky to live in a city that has a good internet service, but in my grandparents' house, like I mentioned earlier, you only have access to mobile networks. Speed and stability is piss poor in their house, so the Xbox One would be totally useless. Like my grandparents, other people live in similar conditions, so you shouldn't disregard them!

Internet down?

Guess you will just have to read a book.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Or go outside. The horror.

lol. Why play games now then? That argument is just dumb.

You can still play games offline unless EA has its way and we start seeing always online DRM implemented more...

At that point I guess you'll have to rely on good old board games... or going out and actually socializing...

lol. Why play games now then? That argument is just dumb.

I guess I should added a /sarcasm at the end of that...

I play a lot of Stracraft 2, you know how many games that I played where I lost connection with Battle.Net therefor the game is no longer ranked? Quite a lot actually.

I admit it's not every day thing.. but it happens. Now personally I don't care, but imagine you play, then the game just quits with an error saying it's unable to establish connection.

It's a big inconvenient. And Microsoft does this, not for pirated games, but second hand market, and the after life of XBox One.

While I usually by my games new, there are time I buy used games, just because they are no longer in store shelves, or because I don't think its worth the full price, or even if it's reduced price after it's a bit old.

Well, the XBox One will essentially block this of some fashion. Whether it's a fee, or something.

Then let's say 6 years from now, Microsoft releases a new console... you know, next gen.. now i know.. you'll say it's far off.. but let's just assume that the XBox Two will be out. Will Microsoft kill the XBox One service, to force everyone to XBox Two? You might say, I'll just buy a different console. Say that to someone that has over 100$ of apps on their cellphone to switch to another platform.. that won't happen. They are locked to the ecosystem. Here you'll have your XBox Live games, and Gamer tag/score.

So it is a huge deal. What happens if the server gets attacked... I sure bet you this will happen a few times. It's just not going to be fun. It's too risky. PLUS that you paying 60$ per years!

When the XBox 360 was released, online play like what Microsoft provided was just not seen before for many. so it was fine.. now it's pretty much the norm. And paying 60$ per year, is a bit ridiculous. And that is of course assuming, Microsoft won't increase the price for the XBox One.