How much are you willing to spend on a computer?

joester050

On my tower so far I have spent a good £1200. I have a GPU, SSD and some other bits such as some quieter fans and some gimicks like lights. £2k is decent for me as long as it lasts me 2-3 years.

£1000 maximum including monitor.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

My pc and the rest of my setup cost around 5k. Although, that's cause I have dual water cooled 780's a 4930k an Asus rog mobo and three monitors :)

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Looking back on my first PC build I think I wasted a fair chunk of $$. Could have got a cheaper case, cheaper PSU, not an SSD when they were relatively new and still expensive, better mobo for the same $$, a non-Corsair K70, no Blue Snowball mic, no mousepad, no logitech mouse, a non loud as f@#$ H100i. 

I spent around $1300 for my whole system (Not including monitor and keyboard) but I wish I had gone with cheaper components and upgraded the stuff that really mattered.. monitor and gpu. 

I suppose the max I would spend on a PC at one time would be maybe, $2000? I can't see any real reason to spend more than that. As long as I get a relatively high-end GPU, CPU, case, and cooler I would be happy. Honestly you could probably satisfy me completely with even less than that. $1600ish probably

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

So my very recent build was $1700-$1800 according to pcpartpicker.  However, several of the components were bought over several months and using various gift cards and discounts.  So my realized cost was closer to $1400.  

I'm pretty pleased with what I got out of that kind of budget.  I didn't go absolute top end on everything, but I also didn't have to really compromise or cut corners on quality.

That being said, I didn't invest much in peripherals, fun accessories (like lighting, graphics, watercooling), or anything else like that.  So it is likely that over the next few months I'll be dumping probably another $500 into various components.

Currently I have $500 into my current PC (GTX 750ti) add another $300 for the BenQ. Looking to upgrade graphics card once they restock. 750ti doesn't do above 60fps well outside Desktop, old games, and Portal2. I buy AMD processors being their a better value for someone who doesn't need the top processing power, and nvidia cards for nvidia shield stream +ShadowPlay.

I usually dont buy my PC pieces all together but by piece by piece but usually them pieces are high quality. So about £400 per round.

I've probably spent about £1500 so far.

Motherboard - ASUS GENE VII   CPU - i5-4690k   Ram - 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2133MHz   GPU - ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4GB   PSU - Corsair CX750   SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Case - Bitfenix Prodigy M (White)   OS - Windows 8.1 (64x)

Paid $1200 for my computer, and monitor.

i5-3470 and GTX 760

Philips 24" LED 242G5DJEB

My current setup is around $9,000 with monitors desk and everything all added in.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

not much for now but as soon as i finish school and get a job I'll spend as much as i can

However much I would need to spend in order for it to computer what I need it to compute in an efficient manner.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

depends on several things...but if i do want to upgrade right now, it would be definitely less than 1300 after tax.

i dont really care how much i spend because its my hobbie

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Almost as much as I can tbh. I won't spend senselessly, but if the opportunity comes to dump my current (~$1500) rig for some dream 4k machine? Yeah.

My PC was €1500 (1 878.6 U.S. dollars) and bought my MacBook Pro for €1140 (1 427.736 U.S. dollars). Prices of Google don't sound right though :P.

$1k/$1500.  Anything > is not necessary and will last you ~ 5 years with one video card swap out in the middle somewhere.

Legitimately anything that makes it fun. It's a lot harder to actually do than it is to say, but I try.

1000$ with a monitor is all I could stomach. But I buy and upgrade sensibly (ie what the community advise me is good, what the tech guy said is good and I have the cash for it)

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

Pretty much all the money. 

I love researching PC parts and then seeing a build come together and making it look cool as well as operate extremely well, i spend so much of my time gaming or working on the computer that its really convenient and fun to go overkill even when it brings in a lot of diminishing returns or over the top expenses to make something i can be proud of rather than just pure function on a budget kind of thing. My friend thinks I'm stupid to buy such overkill parts, but i like it, and i dont really spend my money on anything else. 

if i had 10,000 dollars, i would spend 10,000 dollars :) 

I paid $4000 for my current rig and I would pay more if I could. For gaming this is way too overkill, but I'd use my computer for video editing and 3D rendering, so it paid back for it self.

in tech , you get what you pay for  so i would spend as much as i can but be wisely choosing the parts

My original build from 2010 started out as a $1500 AUD build (about $1300 USD) that I was able to claim 50% of that back on as a school related expense. Since then I've added more monitors, a very expensive mechanical keyboard (shipping to AU is so much T_T), some nice headphones, upgraded PSU, GPU and case, as well as adding an SSD and some more storage drives. The running total now for the parts actually inside/connected to the PC is roughly $3500 AUD ($3000 USD) and considering how much I use the thing I believe I have gotten more than enough value out of it and would happily spend that much money again and probably more given the chance.