Is air cooling sufficient for the most part?

Colt83

Just had a quick question for you guys. I was just curious about water cooling versus air cooling. Next month I'm building a new rig and i'll be using the Intel I5 3570k and will definitely overclock it using the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo. Is air cooling sufficient enough? I was also worried about the radiator or hoses leaking onto my electronics with a liquid cooled setup. Thanks in advance

Air cooling is by far sufficient. Watercooling is a more enthusiast grade type of cooling, but if you want to overclock a 3570K, you're going to need a new cooler for the CPU, as you might be aware. The stock cooler is... kind of pathetic.

And radiators/hoses don't tend to leak unless you manhandle them extremely. Custom liquid cooling takes a lot of time, money and effort to set up. You could go for pre-done watercoolers like the H100i, or just go for a good double tower double fan aircooling heatsink. It all depends on what you've got space for, but on air, you should easily be able to reach 4.5 ghz without a lot of noise.

Well i'm going to use the

[h=1]Cooler Master V6 GT - CPU Cooler with Two 120mm PWM Fans and 6 Heat Pipes :)[/h]

[TABLE=class: wlrdZeroTable, width: 1257]

[TR]

[TD=class: productImage, align: center]

[/TD]

[TD=class: lineItemMainInfo]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I believe it should depend on the overclock and how high your temperatures go. Overclocking a 3570k to 4.5GHz+, then you might want to invest some money into a water cooling setup/system.

I use a CM Hyper 212+ on my 2500k and I wasn't seeing temps above 55C on full load at 4.3GHz.

Well i'm going to use the Cooler Master V6 GT - CPU Cooler with Two 120mm PWM Fans and 6 Heat Pipes :)

[TABLE=class: wysiwyg_table_wlrdZeroTable]

[TR]

[TD=class: wysiwyg_table_productImage, align: center]

[/TD]

[TD=class: wysiwyg_table_lineItemMainInfo]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You will be able to get a decent overclock with the v6. Its going to come down to how well your chip overclocks, i.e. amount of volts to maintain a certain clock speed will be specific to your chip. I'm not sure how good the stock fans are for the cooler but you might see some better clocks if you change the fans out for something like NF-F12 or the new corsair SP fans.

Just had a quick question for you guys. I was just curious about water cooling versus air cooling. Next month I'm building a new rig and i'll be using the Intel I5 3570k and will definitely overclock it using the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo. Is air cooling sufficient enough? I was also worried about the radiator or hoses leaking onto my electronics with a liquid cooled setup. Thanks in advance

you acn do a 4.2/4.3 on a budget air heatsink or 4.5/4.7 on a higher-ended cooler.

dunna know if the mobo is up to the higher clocks, but a 4.5 would be a great settling.

easy enough with a CM 212+/EVO with CM fans or Noctua's for quiet.

if you have that reservation, then stay on air-cooling.. 90% leaks are installing issues

10% actual defects... especially custom loops.

airdeano