Bottom Mounted PSU, fan facing Up or Down?

sew999

Hi everyone,

- PSU: FX XXX Edition Pro Modularny 80Plus Bronze - 750W (P1-750X-XXB9)

http://www.morele.net/zasilacz-xfx-xxx-edition-pro-modularny-80plus-bronze-750w-p1-750x-xxb9-554274/

- case: Centurion 590

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/centurion-590/

Question: Should this PSU be mounted with the fan facing UP, or Down, or it doesn't matter?

The PSU mounts on the bottom.

Depends on if you have bottom fan cutouts (I didn't look it up) and if you have a carpet, if so mount it upwards

The picture from the CM website looks like it has a bottom PSU intake, so as long as you aren't putting your case on carpet like Jerombolo said, you should be just fine.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

So if i mounted psu with fan fancing down its ok?

I prefer fan facing up. If you have a positive pressure in your case and an upward facing PSU air will naturally flow through the PSU and provide a small amount of cooling, resulting in the fan needing to be utilized even less.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

So if i mounted psu with fan fancing down its ok? or not

Depends on clearance and the surface you are putting it on... if you have a nice amount of room under the case then fan face down... if not face up.

Given the case you have picked id go for Face up

Character artist in the Games industry.

System is on carpet. Should i mount psu with fan up or down? My friend telling me that i must using psu with fan going down. Case is Cooler Master Centurion 590. What now? I am confused. Its my picture of case.image.jpg

What position should it be? Should this PSU be mounted with the fan facing UP, or Down? I upload my picture of case.

System is on carpet. Should i mount psu with fan up or down? My friend telling me that i must using psu with fan going down. Case is Cooler Master Centurion 590. What now? I am confused. Its my picture of case.image.jpg

What position should it be? Should this PSU be mounted with the fan facing UP, or Down? I upload my picture of case.

Face up... less your computer over heat or shut down

But if will be facing up that he will be taking a fresh air from GPU:( .So?

But if will be facing up that he will be taking a fresh air from GPU:( .So?

would u rather it take in heated, dusty Still air from your carpet?

i assume u want this psu to last more than 5 months

Mostly, It doesn't matter.

If your case has a bottom power supply mount with vents underneath you have the option to mount it fan facing down, which will make the fan blow cold air in from the bottom of the chassis and hot air out to the back of the power supply/chassis and keep it in its own thermal zone and not affect/be affected by the air temperature in the motherboard area in any way.

If you put your computer on a carpet it matters, you should put it fan facing up. That will however make both the PSU and graphics cards run a little hotter, but no big deal.

In case your power supply has a hybrid mode, in which its fan won't start spinning until it reaches a certain temperature or % load it really won't matter and putting it fan facing up might even lower its temperature at idle because the fans on the graphics cards will blow hot air out of it too. I don't know how many degrees we're talking about but I would say not enough to even look it up on the Internet. :)

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

So just remove carpet and i can use PSU with fan facing down ?

I don't know who you're replying to, but yeah, the GPU blows (cold) air in from the bottom of the chassis out to the back (hot air).

And yeah, your second paragraph is absolutely correct.

But I cannot understand the third one. From how I see it, a bottom-mounted PSU with its fan facing up will suck some air out of the case, although not too cold nor too hot, making it quite useless either way and potentially creating a weird airflow in-between the PSU and the GPU, which will make it harder for air coming from the front fans to cool either of them.

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

there is about a 3'c difference between face up or down... u need to remember the GPU pulls air in then pushes out the back... not push out from the card

I just ask.If i remove carpet then i can use PSU with fan facing down ?

not worth it... just put the fan face up

Yes.. and in my opinion it would be worth to do so.

Actually my psu is mounted with fan facing down. Case is on carpet. Its ok or its any risk to damage PSU because it is on carpet?

Well, there is less room for air and depending on the case that might be a problem, the carpet is all powder and hairs, and it heats up too. I think it's going to shorten the lifespan of your PSU by a large margin.

Also, I would not recommend putting your hands in your computer on a carpet due to static electricity. Otherwise, please be careful and take all necessary precautions and practise safe computer building. :)

Well, I don't think that would work.. But yeah, any kind of flat hard surface (wood, metal or else) the size of the chassis will do. They are also pretty inexpensive, so it's a win-win.  :)

But what if my carpet is clean, without powder and hairs. So then my case can be at carpet with psu with fan facing down? Its not dangerous?

But what if my carpet is clean, without powder and hairs. So then my case can be at carpet with psu with fan facing down? Its not dangerous?

Then it will become dirty the next day.

Just put the case on a peice of wood

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."