Apple: Beginning February 2015, App Store submissions need to be 64-bit

Samfisher

Source : http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/apple-beginning-february-2015-app-store-submissions-need-to-be-64-bit/

apple-A7-640x480.jpg

I wish Google was as strict about mandating things like this so the industry can go forward ):  Anyone know if the K1 on the Nexus 9 is 64-bit?  Not too knowledgeable about Tegras :D

It is (look at their website). It. The Denver cores

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The K1 is a 64-bit processor. 

Anyways, this is interesting, but not necessarily surprising. They have to push 64-bit somehow, and this is definitely a good way of doing so.

There are 2 variants. 1 32 bit variant and a 64 bit variant

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Higher performance comes from newer cpu designs and not architecture.

IE 9? We're on like, IE 11 (not to mention, it's IE)

I've actually had less problems day to day with IE than I currently have had with zilla and chrome. Sure you get the occasional virus, but as far as actually working IE is still faster for me than zilla or chrome. Chrome was fast for like the first day or 2, since then it's slowed down for some reason.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The problem is that Nexus devices make up a very very small percentage of Android OS's. ARM already has 64-bit SoC's, and flagship devices will start to ship with them. I imagine that most flagship Android devices released in 2015 will have a 64-bit SoC.

However, Flagship devices are a pretty small section of the market. So to make it a requirement that all new apps are compiled for 64-bit, means that either:

1. You'll need to provide 32-bit backwards compatibility or emulation (Much like Windows does - I assume that 64-bit Android does this? I cannot confirm though) OR

2. You'll have 90% of your customer base unable to use new Apps.

Hopefully, # 1 is already true though.

I do think that pushing 64-bit is the way to go, but the problem with Android is because the device market is so fragmented, there's very little incentive for app devs to do this.

I think there is a low end snapdragon (I believe it is the 410) that is designed for budget devices that is 64bit capable. Hopefully more SoC's like this will help push for 64 bit capability in the lower end of Android. Till then, I wonder if allowing developers to include two versions of their app will help? Then the play store itself can identify your device and serve up the correct version for you to install. 

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Higher performance comes from newer cpu designs and not architecture.

wh.... wha..... what?

What you said doesn't make sense. New CPU designs ARE new architectures. They are synonymous and directly interrelated. For example:

Intel Sandy Bridge vs Intel Haswell. Haswell is a new CPU design with a new architecture.

New architecture is CRUCIAL to improved performance. A single architecture can only be pushed so far - generally you'll get one, maybe two generations of CPU designs out of it before having to create a new architecture or heavily modify the old one (thus still creating a new architecture).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I think there is a low end snapdragon (I believe it is the 410) that is designed for budget devices that is 64bit capable. Hopefully more SoC's like this will help push for 64 bit capability in the lower end of Android. Till then, I wonder if allowing developers to include two versions of their app will help? Then the play store itself can identify your device and serve up the correct version for you to install. 

Hopefully this will be the way forward. Google needs to get Qualcomm and others to push 64-bit SoC's to all levels of devices before they can really make the switch. Unlike Apple, Google survives on their low-end devices. High end devices like the HTC One M8 and similar make up a small portion of Android devices.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah Qualcomm will push 64bit quite hard. I think all of their upcoming Snapdragon series are 64bit enabled.

Snapdragon 410 - Quad core A53 and Adreno 306.

Snapdragon 610 - Quad core A53 and Adreno 405 (hardware accelerated HEVC).

Snapdragon 615 - Octa core A53 and Adreno 405 (hardware accelerated HEVC).

All of them have a 64bit memory interface, 802.11ac integrated and LTE cat 4 integrated. All of them are 28nm LP.

On the high end we get:

Snapdragon 808 - Dual core A57 + quad core A53 and Adreno 418.

Snapdragon 810 - Quad core A57 + quad core A53 and Adreno 430 (HEVC encoding).

These ones got LTE cat7 modems, 64bit memory interface, (no integrated WiFi modem), HEVC decoding and are made with 20nm transistors.

With a bit of luck we will see MediaTek and and Samsung move all their products to the A5# series as well, and when that happens it shouldn't take many years before ~90% of the market are using 64bit devices.

I've actually had less problems day to day with IE than I currently have had with zilla and chrome. Sure you get the occasional virus, but as far as actually working IE is still faster for me than zilla or chrome. Chrome was fast for like the first day or 2, since then it's slowed down for some reason.

Yeah, I have to admit, I use ie for almost everything except for ltt (because of the plugins) and streaming video. It is much much better than it once was

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines