Google Reportedly Working on a Wireless Fiber Transmission System

According to KitGuru by way of Reuters Google's recent filings with the FCC indicate they are working on a system utilizing Millimeter Frequency transmission to allow Fiber speed over a wireless transmission.

There are some hurdles with the tech as it stands, and there are questions about the intended application along with the bevy of POSSIBLE applications. But, it seems to be an interesting development on Google's end with their already heavy duty diruption with entering the high bandwidth ISP game with traditional Fiber.

Sources:

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/jon-martindale/google-could-be-working-on-wireless-fibre-speed-internet/

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/uk-google-wireless-idUKKCN0I42T920141015

Edit:

From what I have read up so far the main hurdles have to do with the frequency's Line of Sight limitations, possibly being prone to failure with local LOS interruption or weather? But, allowing super high bandwidth data transmission theoretically over long distances with a point to point style set up. Think outlying exurbs getting Fiber speed trunk lines for local dissemination, or non-invasive fiber roll-out as fiber trunks can run to a neighborhood and then wirelessly transmit from node to individual subscribers.

EDIT 2:

From Reuters:

The latest test, which Google hopes to begin on Nov. 13, will include three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area, including one in San Mateo county and two locations a half-mile apart which appear to be on Google’s Mountain View, California campus. Google said the effort will use radio transmitters operating in the 5.8 GHz frequency, the 24.2 GHz frequency and in the millimetre wave bands of 71-76 GHz and 81-86 GHz, according to the application.

Millimetre wave frequencies work best over short distances, such as a few city blocks, and require a direct line-of-sight connection to a receiver. But multiple such devices placed next to each other, atop buildings could provide an alternative to in-the-ground fibre cables used for shuttling data throughout a city as well as for delivering Internet access directly to residences, theorized several wireless experts.

“This could be anything from something relatively small scale, like a way to supplement their existing fibre system to something like how to put a wireless cloud around your city that leverages your fibre backbone,” said Harold Feld, a senior vice president at Public Knowledge, a non-profit that focuses on broadband access and competition issues and which receives funding from tech companies including Google.

The FCC is scheduled to hold a meeting on Friday about the use of wireless spectrum above 24 GHz for mobile services, including ways the agency can facilitate the development and deployment of technology using such frequencies.

Ubiquiti's AirFiber units have been around for a while and come in three different flavors, supporting up to 1.4Gbps at 15+Km on the 24Ghz model or 1Gbps at 100+Km on the 5Ghz models so this isn't even a remotely new idea.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Wow.

Lets wait till people start using cows to host Wifi hot spots of these, than PETA will get upset again haha

Or create a wireless adapter that can reproduce like a cell and just fill the atmosphere with them

TRANSCENDENCE-turn-into-rain.png

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Ubiquiti's AirFiber units have been around for a while and come in three different flavors, supporting up to 1.4Gbps at 15+Km on the 24Ghz model or 1Gbps at 100+Km on the 5Ghz models so this isn't even a remotely new idea.

From how its described this is probably going to be closer to the high end of the GHz spectrum for millimeter frequency. That is an assumption on my part I will read further, but that spectrum goes from around 30GHz up to about 300. a MAJOR difference in interference and limitations.

EDIT:

Apparently Google is looking to use spectrum between 71-76GHz and 81-86GHz as part of its wireless fiber efforts. Although it is ALSO using more traditional lower frequency bands as well. These higher frequency signals are where they are pushing into new territory, I believe.

It wouldn't make sense at all to call this "Wireless Fiber" .... there's no light, and there's no fiber lines... it's just very high speed wireless... It's almost like saying currently we have wireless copper.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

I think its phrasing has to do with what it is intended to do, replace fiber connectivity over short runs or small areas.

I think its phrasing has to do with what it is intended to do, replace fiber connectivity over short runs or small areas.

Yeah but fiber optic lines have been used in ISP backbones and private corporate lines for years before they came to residential use. Even then most only go Fiber to the neighborhood and not to the home.

To me, the whole thing seems more of a marketing gimmick name. Would be better to call it what it is, like wireless to the premises.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Fiber to the home is on its way, the biggest problem has been the fact they have to run new lines to the house to push it the final distance. Verizon in Philly had issues where customers were complaining they had to dig new channels to bring fiber to the house. THIS could remove that need.

uhkFQjM.png

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I hope they bring Project Loon to the US with Fiber capabilities :D

You have some links for those of us in the dark?

I have the wireless internet in my area and its actually nice but can really tell when people get home about 6 pm because the internet gets slow from that time to about 10 pm and before or after that time it gets super fast again. I would love the wireless 1Gbps speed and it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than some laying cables. All for this tech and I want it to happen in my area first since there is 0 infrastructure for cables and only wireless.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

PETA will get upset again haha

I legitimately wouldn't give a damn fi it means I can get fiber without destroying 800 metres of road xD

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You have some links for those of us in the dark?

Project Loon is a Google X project in which giant weather balloons are lifted high into the atmosphere and sort of act like wifi routers. This allows rural areas access to the internet without installing expensive land lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon

Project Loon is a Google X project in which giant weather balloons are lifted high into the atmosphere and sort of act like wifi routers. This allows rural areas access to the internet without installing expensive land lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon

AH! i had heard about the balloons and the drones but had not heard an over arching project name, good show.