How do you know if you are being DDOSED ?

Bingbing10

so these last few weeks i have just been experiencing really slow internet ( i am meant to be getting 150mbps and i am getting around 20mbps) and my internet will go from being around 20mbps to 500kbps then back up again ? I tried sorting this out with the ISP but they found no issues from my end, so i thought am i being DDosed , and how can i tell if i am? Finally how would i stop it ?

AMD FX-8350 II ASUS R9-20x DCU2 TOP II Fractal Design R4 II Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD II Gigabyte 990FXA UD-3 II 8GB Corsair XMS II Cooler Master Seidon 120mm II ACER H236HL Monitor II Corsair K70 II Razer Deathadder II Kinect II 

Go check out my Build Log for my "Home Made Gaming POD"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83872-home-made-gaming-pod-build-log/

People won't just DDOS you for no reason...

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

DDos usually means no internet whatsoever or like 0.000001 mbit. If it still goes up then it's not a DDos. Could be one of 4 things:

- Router/switch is acting up

- ISP is having troubles

- Ethernet port/WIFI adapter is acting up/damaged/degenerated

- Cables damaged/degenerated

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

People won't just DDOS you for no reason...

well some guys got mega mad at me a few weeks ago in BF4 and and said he was going to - i know probs just talk but i was just thinking

AMD FX-8350 II ASUS R9-20x DCU2 TOP II Fractal Design R4 II Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD II Gigabyte 990FXA UD-3 II 8GB Corsair XMS II Cooler Master Seidon 120mm II ACER H236HL Monitor II Corsair K70 II Razer Deathadder II Kinect II 

I tried sorting this out with the ISP but they found no issues from my end

Yep you're not being DDOS'd. your ISP would be able to see all the traffic. Did you hit your data cap for this month or somthing?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

well some guys got mega mad at me a few weeks ago in BF4 and and said he was going to - i know probs just talk but i was just thinking

And how do you think he got your IP?

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yep you're not being DDOS'd. your ISP would be able to see all the traffic. Did you hit your data cap for this month or somthing?

im on unlimited internet 

And how do you think he got your IP?

i do not have a clue  :) im more into the building pc side of computers not so much other sides 

i do not have a clue  :) im more into the building pc side of computers not so much other sides 

Well i don't think he could've gotten your IP in any way.

Same thing has been happening with my ISP

but i think its the ISP as the same problem is happening through out everyone in this building (Same ISP different subscription) 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

your internet will just crap it self, like 1900ms ping and .2 mbps download with 0 upload

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

so these last few weeks i have just been experiencing really slow internet ( i am meant to be getting 150mbps and i am getting around 20mbps) and my internet will go from being around 20mbps to 500kbps then back up again ? I tried sorting this out with the ISP but they found no issues from my end, so i thought am i being DDosed , and how can i tell if i am? Finally how would i stop it ?

Have you tried restarting your modem/router/networking gear? Other than that, the only thing you can really do is contact your ISP and see what's up. They can see all the things like line connect rate and traffic going to your home, and they likely have specific equipment that they can use to inspect the traffic for DoS traffic. 

How do you connect your computer to the network, WiFi , Ethernet or powerline etc?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

It's almost NEVER a DDoS but rather a Layer 7 DoS that's flooding the NAT tables etc. unless the person has a pretty big botnet and you don't just get D/DoS'd for no reason, it usually happens when you piss off the wrong person/s on the internet. What's your router as that could simply be the problem.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

If you've become subject to a significant DDoS, your ISP will take action. A popular mitigation strategy that your ISP will take is just to black-hole your IP, so no one can find a route to you.

This does, however, come with the side effect that you can not route past your ISP. Your internet connection will seem online, but you won't get anywhere.

It's almost NEVER a DDoS but rather a Layer 7 DoS that's flooding the NAT tables etc. unless the person has a pretty big botnet and you don't just get D/DoS'd for no reason, it usually happens when you piss off the wrong person/s on the internet. What's your router as that could simply be the problem.

A Layer 7 attack would not fill up the NAT tables.

Whenever a packet would come in from the internet, the router would go "Do I have a corresponding session?" and then does a lookup in its NAT table. If the answer is yes, the router than passes along the packet to the corresponding host. If the answer is no (which is what would happen in most layer 7 attacks as nothing on the local network requested it), the router drops the packets.

layer 7 attacks are extremely efficient at attacking servers, as they have to be listening for whatever services they host, and they always respond (like with Apache).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB