Difference between the Nvidia Shield tab and Nexus 9

SeanBond

So from the perspective of a non gamer (my mother is looking for a new tablet) I would like to know what the difference between these two tablets are going to be? As far as I know they both run stock android and the both have nvidia tegra k1 processors, the display has a higher resolution for the nexus and it's an inch larger.The nexus will also have a bit larger battery, the nexus also has a better rear camera but much worse front facing camera. The shield is will also be $100 cheaper. So what exactly is the nexus 9 going to come with that the shield does not already have? The resolution seems like a moot point because it's already so high. 

So if there really isn't a difference that a non power user would ever notice why would the majority of people get the nexus 9? Only because non gamers wont look at gaming branded items?

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Maybe the Nexus 9 will have better support (newer Android versions)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well from an avg. consumer standpoint, I'd say even with some extra features in the nexus9 don't justify to pay a 100$ more.  Also even if the shield wont get the latest software all the time, it wont hinder the usability of it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

1. Shield is 8 inch, nexus is 9 inch

2. Shield is a 16:10 display with 2 million pixels, nexus is a 3:4 display with 3 million pixels

3. Shield has a 32bit Quad-Core CPU, the Nexus has a 64bit Dual-Core CPU, the CPU in the Nexus should turn out to be quite a bit more powerful, but as far as GPU goes they are identical.

4. Shield supports MicroSD expansion, the Nexus is a Nexus.

5. Software Differences:

i. Nvidia gets game stream, shadowplay, shield exclusive titles, wifi direct controllers, and probably the best implementation of passive stylus on the market

ii. Nexus on the other had will be supported by google, so they will get updates faster than any other devices and get exclusive features such as chromecast mirroring

personally I wonder if Nvidia will let the Nexus 9 utilize shield features since it's using a Nvidia SOC, but as of right now the 16GB models has the Shield $100 cheaper while the 32GB with LTE has the Shield $200 cheaper. I was waiting for the Nexus 9 to launch but I think I will go with a Shield now, it's still near stock android and Nvidia is really good with releasing OTA updates. Also my previous experience with the old Shield was fantastic.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

What is your mother going to be using it for? Browsing the web i assume?

I would recommend the 2013 Nexus 7. Check out a few reviews of it. 

The average consumer is more likely to go for the Nexus device because it's a more well known brand than the Nvidia Shield (Nexus tablets have been very popular), and you're right, some people may see it as only a gaming device.

the build is also different. Nexus 9 is built by HTC and is all aluminium. Shield is plastic, although reviewers say it feels really decent. In short Nexus has a better build quality and battery as well as design. For a non picky user I don't see a reason to go with the Nexus 9.

If I had to choose myself it would probably come down to my budget at the time.

I also can't decide between the 2.

I never owned a android device before. still running an old nokia lol xD

The build quality of the nvidea shield is holding me back.

They had issue's with some cracks on the edge from the tablet, Nvidea stated it already is been fixed and replacing the broken ones.

And many pll are having Internet issues.