Sennheiser Headset audio quality is trash, need hardware recommendations

SillyKitty

Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR

Headset: Sennheiser PC 350 Special Edition 

I wasn't sure whether I needed to buy a separate HD audio card when I recently built my custom pc, so i've been using the stock motherboard one. 

When I listen to music the sound seems washed out and high pitch.

When I play games like CS, sometimes when there is a lot of noise happening at once, the audio quality gets really choppy for the rest of the match. I opened up the console in game and there were a bunch of errors about audio overload.

While I know that the gaming headset is not studio quality, I would expect to get at least better performance and quality than a $20 logitech headset.

Not sure where to go from here and what I need to upgrade: hd audio card, amp, or x ?

I dont want to drop $1k for studio quality, but need something mid or mid upper range to make music or gaming actually enjoyable.

Looking forward to your recommendations. 

I opened up the console in game and there were a bunch of errors about audio overload.

That is very likely not the fault of the headset. Something else is the problem. It's best if you took a picture of the 'audio overload' error message.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

gaming headset 

I think I see an issue with your search terms. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What's your motherboard as the headset is 150 Ohm so your onboard is likely unable to power them, you might just need a Fiio E10K.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Don't get a sound card, it won't offer any improvement over your motherboard. An external dac can do, but I don't think your onboard sound or headset is the cause. Try plugging your headset straight into the rear I/O and the front of your case to see if there's a difference? Interference along that cable can drop some bass, er as it were.

I believe you need an AMP... I suggest a Mayflower O2 Objective amp/dac which is a very high quality amp but something slightly cheaper like a Scarlett 2i2 would also work most likely

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

First, try plugging the headset to another source, other than that PC. Maybe to a stereo, or DVD player, or something. Next, try plugging another headphone/earphone to that PC. From there you can start pinpoint what the exact problem is.

Those 'audio overload' statuses sure seem fishy. It can be either software related, hardware related, or both. But even if it's hardware related, there's a very small chance that those errors are caused by the headset.

If you truely think the onboard solution is at fault, try a Syba DAC. You don't need something with too much juice like some of the stuff recommended above.

When I listen to music the sound seems washed out and high pitch.

Have you checked the audio manager to ensure all effects and simulators are turned off and that your eq is not enabled?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

says on their website they are 150 ohm impendance. . . you might need an amp.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

What's your motherboard as the headset is 150 Ohm so your onboard is likely unable to power them, you might just need a Fiio E10K.

Asus Z97-AR. I tried looking for any info on how ohms the mobo is made to power alone and couldn't find any info on it. 

Don't get a sound card, it won't offer any improvement over your motherboard. An external dac can do, but I don't think your onboard sound or headset is the cause. Try plugging your headset straight into the rear I/O and the front of your case to see if there's a difference? Interference along that cable can drop some bass, er as it were.

Right now I have it plugged into the top of my NZXT H440 case. I tried plugging it directly into the mobo in the rear, and it actually sounded worse!

If you truely think the onboard solution is at fault, try a Syba DAC. You don't need something with too much juice like some of the stuff recommended above.

Are there any other DAC's you can recommend that are more aesthetically pleasing to have on my modern office desk? I'm willing to do some search work as well...what characteristics in the DAC should I be looking for in my case? 

Have you checked the audio manager to ensure all effects and simulators are turned off and that your eq is not enabled?

The Realtech HD Audio Manager that the mobo came with has all the effects and eq's off. I never touched any of it after booting up. 

Are there any other DAC's you can recommend that are more aesthetically pleasing to have on my modern office desk? I'm willing to do some search work as well...what characteristics in the DAC should I be looking for in my case? 

There's plenty of options, but they're all much more expensive. Just about anything you find will perform adequately, so just choose what you think looks most pretty.

Monoprice's Desktop Headphone Amplifier looks a bit nicer while still being relatively cheap, though whether or not if it's nice enough is entirely up to you.

I recently bought the same headset you did and had the same problem. I looked it up and you need a headphone amp to properly power them otherwise they sound weird. Just buy a cheap sound card for 20 bucks that has a headphone amp on it. I'll be picking up this one in a few days. The sound quality is pretty much the same thing as onboard, but it powers the headphones.

I recently bought the same headset you did and had the same problem. I looked it up and you need a headphone amp to properly power them otherwise they sound weird. Just buy a cheap sound card for 20 bucks that has a headphone amp on it. I'll be picking up this one in a few days. The sound quality is pretty much the same thing as onboard, but it powers the headphones.

What headphone are you powering? Because if it's HE-400, I can tell you straight up, the DG falters badly with it. Tried it, and ended up getting an external dac/amp.

Are you actually going to take a picture of "audio overload" error message?

In the middle of midterms right now so I haven't had the chance to play CS for long hours to re create the error. Sorry to inconvenience you.

In the middle of midterms right now so I haven't had the chance to play CS for long hours to re create the error. Sorry to inconvenience you.

Well, I can wait, that's not a problem.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I'm so glad that someone has the same headphones and issue. Thanks for confirming it.

There's plenty of options, but they're all much more expensive. Just about anything you find will perform adequately, so just choose what you think looks most pretty.

Monoprice's Desktop Headphone Amplifier looks a bit nicer while still being relatively cheap, though whether or not if it's nice enough is entirely up to you.

Would this or even this be a decent card+amp combo? These ones have a socket to plug in the mic cord of my headset instead of having to buy a 5 ft splitter. 

You don't need a fancy sound card to get the best out of that headset. That Creative combo is not competitively priced for what you're trying to do.

If you want an internal card, the ASUS Xonar DGX is a good value. It'll give you both an amped output and an input in the same place so you won't need a splitter and you won't need to keep using the microphone in from your onboard audio if you think that's part of the problem.

You don't need a fancy sound card to get the best out of that headset. That Creative combo is not competitively priced for what you're trying to do.

If you want an internal card, the ASUS Xonar DGX is a good value. It'll give you both an amped output and an input in the same place so you won't need a splitter and you won't need to keep using the microphone in from your onboard audio if you think that's part of the problem.

God Linus has spoken. Thanks for your direction.

God Linus has spoken. Thanks for your direction.

I think you mean Prophet Linus, Lord Gaben i our god.

Well we should try the first thing that SHOULD come to mind: uninstall and reinstall the newest driver for your onboard. it shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with the headset if you're actually getting straight up error messages in the game!

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

The DG that I linked and the DGX that Linus linked are the same thing, but the DG is PCI while the DGX is PCI Express. The DG is slightly cheaper, but because of it being PCI, it's not compatible with some motherboards without PCI slots.