Motorbikes

Mac

17 on March 1st :)

I don't want to imagine what your insurance will look like at your age.

Going to check out a Harley dealership today.

I have my eyes set on an Iron 883 which already has a few mods I'd do to it in the long term anyways. It already has a cafe racer look going on just needs a few more mods to be perfection

Posted Image

Posted Image

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

2003 SV650S in my garage...25k miles on it and going strong.  Probably the best street bike as far as ridability/price/performance/reliability is concerned.

Might try to sell it this year...looking to get on a BMW or some sort of Sport touring bike.  Maybe a Daytona 675, not sport touring, but sexy either way.

Also thinking about a motard....KTM, maybe an older Honda XR650R if I can find one cheap.

Update on the motorcycle situation guys... The Iron 883 was too tiny lol.

I'm 5'11". After sitting on the bike I realized my knees were 6 inches or less from the handlebars. My uncle, being the mind wizard that he is knew it would be too small for me. I sat on a few more and I think I'm set on looking for any year of a Harley Davidson Fat Bob. Here's the 2014 model available at a local dealership

Posted Image

Posted Image

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

I've ridden several Harleys...the sportster looking one, but it was the 1200 not the 883, street glide, and another full bagger...I think it was the electra glide.  The 1200 was supposedly mega hopped up and some special shop had the engine apart.

I really don't like them.  Not saying you won't, and they're beautiful machines, I just can't ride them.  I can't get used to the riding position, it makes it difficult to transition between turns and utilize the controls quickly.  The turn in is very slow, the bikes themselves are extremely heavy, the center of gravity is very low, and even though they're not slow, they feel slow.  I'll give them straight line acceleration, they have good torque.  My main problem is the brakes.  Maybe it's just the weight, but brake performance is dismal on the ones I've rode.

The 1200 sportster was probably the best of them, but he had about $18k in it, and I wouldn't take it over my $4000 bike in any category but maybe drag racing.  I'm not into drag racing...

Not knocking anyone that rides them, I ride with lots of guys that run Harley and metric cruisers(that's how I get to ride them). They're just not for me.

You planning on buying a new one?  MSRP is like $16k....ouch.  I'll bet they have some good rebates and stuff though, and Harley seems to hold it's value pretty well in the market.

I've ridden several Harleys...the sportster looking one, but it was the 1200 not the 883, street glide, and another full bagger...I think it was the electra glide. The 1200 was supposedly mega hopped up and some special shop had the engine apart.

I really don't like them. Not saying you won't, and they're beautiful machines, I just can't ride them. I can't get used to the riding position, it makes it difficult to transition between turns and utilize the controls quickly. The turn in is very slow, the bikes themselves are extremely heavy, the center of gravity is very low, and even though they're not slow, they feel slow. I'll give them straight line acceleration, they have good torque. My main problem is the brakes. Maybe it's just the weight, but brake performance is dismal on the ones I've rode.

The 1200 sportster was probably the best of them, but he had about $18k in it, and I wouldn't take it over my $4000 bike in any category but maybe drag racing. I'm not into drag racing...

Not knocking anyone that rides them, I ride with lots of guys that run Harley and metric cruisers(that's how I get to ride them). They're just not for me.

You planning on buying a new one? MSRP is like $16k....ouch. I'll bet they have some good rebates and stuff though, and Harley seems to hold it's value pretty well in the market.

It sounds like you rode a 1200 custom. Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. I figured I'd start on a cruiser and buy a supersport in a few years because I really want a Daytona 675 but I know it wouldn't be wise to start on a bike with that amount of power. In addition, insurance was quoted at $3K/year. No thanks lol.

It sounds like you rode a 1200 custom. Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. I figured I'd start on a cruiser and buy a supersport in a few years because I really want a Daytona 675 but I know it wouldn't be wise to start on a bike with that amount of power. In addition, insurance was quoted at $3K/year. No thanks lol.

Yeah...that's what really sucks about supersports.  And you sound a LOT like me 6 years ago.

That's the main reason I ended up with an SV650S over what I really wanted the R6 or D675.  Cheap insurance <$50/month full with medical.  The ergo's are pretty close, performance is decent(plenty for street use, and good for beginners IMO), and it looks pretty good with the lower fairings.

Tires are cheaper(for rears, uses the same fronts), gets 50mpg.  

And now that I've been able to ride almost all the current(2012 or 2013) supersports, I'm glad I did.  The Ergo's on those bikes are extreme, especially the 675.  They're really bred for the race track and riding them on the street can get uncomfortable.  Riding them properly helps a lot, not resting your upper body weight on your arms and using your core muscles to hold yourself up makes them ridable for a lot longer.

They are ridiculously fun in the mountains and on the track though.

EDIT: You're welcome, I wasn't sure how you would take my opinion on the Harley's...Some people don't take that well at all.

Yeah...that's what really sucks about supersports. And you sound a LOT like me 6 years ago.

That's the main reason I ended up with an SV650S over what I really wanted the R6 or D675. Cheap insurance <$50/month full with medical. The ergo's are pretty close, performance is decent(plenty for street use, and good for beginners IMO), and it looks pretty good with the lower fairings.

And now that I've been able to ride almost all the current(2012 or 2013) supersports, I'm glad I did. The Ergo's on those bikes are extreme, especially the 675. They're really bred for the race track and riding them on the street can get uncomfortable. Riding them properly helps a lot, not resting your upper body weight on your arms and using your core muscles to hold yourself up makes them ridable for a lot longer.

EDIT: You're welcome, I wasn't sure how you would take my opinion on the Harley's...Some people don't take that well at all.

I found two SV650S locally but I'm not sure if the price is right

http://cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Suzuki-2009-SUZUKI-SV650-used-motorcycles-for-sale-111167230#PhotoSwipe1390231684198

The first one has minor cosmetic damage in some areas (see pics). The other one below is completely clean from what I can tell.

http://cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Suzuki-SV650S-110422148

If you could give me some feedback on these two I'd really appreciate it.

Yeah...that's what really sucks about supersports. And you sound a LOT like me 6 years ago.

That's the main reason I ended up with an SV650S over what I really wanted the R6 or D675. Cheap insurance <$50/month full with medical. The ergo's are pretty close, performance is decent(plenty for street use, and good for beginners IMO), and it looks pretty good with the lower fairings.

And now that I've been able to ride almost all the current(2012 or 2013) supersports, I'm glad I did. The Ergo's on those bikes are extreme, especially the 675. They're really bred for the race track and riding them on the street can get uncomfortable. Riding them properly helps a lot, not resting your upper body weight on your arms and using your core muscles to hold yourself up makes them ridable for a lot longer.

I found this one locally. If you could provide some feedback on it I'd definitely appreciate it.

http://cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Suzuki-SV650S-110422148

Another one below but it has cosmetic problems with a few scratches and stuff.

http://m.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Suzuki-2009-SUZUKI-SV650-used-motorcycles-for-sale-111167230

Ahhhh tapatalk is messing up with quoting people's comments. I'll reply to this when I get home. Sorry for triple post.

Ok the 2009 one has definitely been dropped on the right side, possibly the left as well(hard to tell with the close ups).  That's really not that big of a deal especially if this is your first bike.  They say there are two types of riders, those that have dropped a bike, and those that are going to.

As long as the engine cases aren't damaged, or if they were, they were replaced, its' pretty much just cosmetic.  I really only worry about the bikes that have a salvaged title, and all brand new body work.  That usually means it was thrown down the road and flipped...which typically means frame damage and they threw new plastics on it and are trying to recoup some cash.

The price on the '09 is too high.  It's a 5 year old bike, and they were barely that much new.  Sure it's got an exhaust, adjustable dog bones, some blinkers, and some vinyl graphics...but aftermarket parts on bikes don't really increase the value on the used market unless it's something you REALLY want.  The '09 screams wild kid that rode it hard and put it away wet.

I like the '08 much better.  Minimally more miles(these bikes have been known to go 100k+ with only scheduled maintenance).  Doesn't look like it's been dropped at all, looks like aftermarket tires already(the stock D220's suck bad), and it's unmolested(stock exhaust/blinkers/etc).  Typically this means a calm, commuter type rider.  Plus, the price is more reasonable.  

I think you should be able to haggle with the price on the '08.  I would prefer around $4200 or so, maybe see if they can set you up with gear on the cheap or free if they don't want to mess with the price.  I love that deep blue too.

Ok the 2009 one has definitely been dropped on the right side, possibly the left as well(hard to tell with the close ups).  That's really not that big of a deal especially if this is your first bike.  They say there are two types of riders, those that have dropped a bike, and those that are going to.

Mine's fairings are held on by tape, I don't care because it's my first bike and I only paid £280($460) for it.

I came off of it within 24 hours of riding, your first bike is the bike you will most likely fall off on.

Mine's fairings are held on by tape, I don't care because it's my first bike and I only paid £280($460) for it.

I came off of it within 24 hours of riding, your first bike is the bike you will most likely fall off on.

Just take the fairings off then lol. And what kind of bike did you get for $460?

Ok the 2009 one has definitely been dropped on the right side, possibly the left as well(hard to tell with the close ups). That's really not that big of a deal especially if this is your first bike. They say there are two types of riders, those that have dropped a bike, and those that are going to.

As long as the engine cases aren't damaged, or if they were, they were replaced, its' pretty much just cosmetic. I really only worry about the bikes that have a salvaged title, and all brand new body work. That usually means it was thrown down the road and flipped...which typically means frame damage and they threw new plastics on it and are trying to recoup some cash.

The price on the '09 is too high. It's a 5 year old bike, and they were barely that much new. Sure it's got an exhaust, adjustable dog bones, some blinkers, and some vinyl graphics...but aftermarket parts on bikes don't really increase the value on the used market unless it's something you REALLY want. The '09 screams wild kid that rode it hard and put it away wet.

I like the '08 much better. Minimally more miles(these bikes have been known to go 100k+ with only scheduled maintenance). Doesn't look like it's been dropped at all, looks like aftermarket tires already(the stock D220's suck bad), and it's unmolested(stock exhaust/blinkers/etc). Typically this means a calm, commuter type rider. Plus, the price is more reasonable.

I think you should be able to haggle with the price on the '08. I would prefer around $4200 or so, maybe see if they can set you up with gear on the cheap or free if they don't want to mess with the price. I love that deep blue too.

I'll be sure to check it out then. There are a few bikes I want to look at that are in the same dealership.

Just take the fairings off then lol. And what kind of bike did you get for $460?

Moped lol

I'm 16 so it'll do for 7 more months

Mac, hit me up when you're on a 125 if you're up for a ride. Pretty sure you'd only be an hour or two away from me.

Picked up my YZF R125 today and it's freaking gorgeous.. Now I have to go through the pain of staring at it in my garage for 40 days (longest 40 days of my life...) until I turn 17.

Mac, hit me up when you're on a 125 if you're up for a ride. Pretty sure you'd only be an hour or two away from me.

Picked up my YZF R125 today and it's freaking gorgeous.. Now I have to go through the pain of staring at it in my garage for 40 days (longest 40 days of my life...) until I turn 17.

I get my 125 in August, once I'm riding I'll send you a message or something.

I would just be starting the bike everyday if I had my 125 and I had to wait, it was hard enough waiting 4 days with my 50cc.

• 4 weeks later...

I just passed my test to get my permit. Safety course registration starts this Friday and I'll be there the minute it opens to sign up. The plan after that is to seriously start shopping for bikes and buy one. Too excited right now :DPosted Image

SAM_0183.jpg

This is my 2004 Suzuki SV650 that I have had for 7 years now. God I am getting old.

SAM_0215.jpg

Doing my best on a frozen lake with a KTM 525 SUMO that we outfitted for ice racing. That was super fun.

SAM_0205.jpg

Glamour shot. Just as we decided to call it a day on the lake.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I got my FZ6R yesterday evening. 

post-6820-0-86422200-1392937585_thumb.jp

post-6820-0-38241400-1392937586.jpg

I think I'll be practicing all evening as soon as I get off of work. For those of you that don't know about this bike, it's basically a detuned R6. So about 60-70% of the power and an upright riding position. My safety course is less than two weeks away too :D

I got my FZ6R yesterday evening. 

My safety course is less than two weeks away too :D

Nice looking bike! Is your safety class an MSF class? The class is a really good idea. It will seem pretty simple, but well worth it.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Nice looking bike! Is your safety class an MSF class? The class is a really good idea. It will seem pretty simple, but well worth it.

Yup sure is! 16 hours total. 4 hours in class on the first day, 6 hours on the bike the second day, and 6 hours on the third day where you take the test and can get your endorsement upon passing. The class is only $50 too which is awesome. I've read that insurance companies will discount your insurance by up to 20% if you take it which will save a ton in the long term.

Yup sure is! 16 hours total. 4 hours in class on the first day, 6 hours on the bike the second day, and 6 hours on the third day where you take the test and can get your endorsement upon passing. The class is only $50 too which is awesome. I've read that insurance companies will discount your insurance by up to 20% if you take it which will save a ton in the long term.

Sounds like the same class I took years ago. Good on you for taking it. Is it required in your state?

My insurance did do a discount for 3 years after taking the class, although I don't remember how much the discount was. 

The class is actually a bunch of fun. They will stick you on a bunch of 200-250cc Dual-Purpose bikes and have you do a bunch of maneuvers in a parking lot. Its really good learning experience and great practice. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Sounds like the same class I took years ago. Good on you for taking it. Is it required in your state?

My insurance did do a discount for 3 years after taking the class, although I don't remember how much the discount was. 

The class is actually a bunch of fun. They will stick you on a bunch of 200-250cc Dual-Purpose bikes and have you do a bunch of maneuvers in a parking lot. Its really good learning experience and great practice. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Nope not required at all but I know I'll learn a lot of valuable things and be 100% prepared to test for my license since they teach you everything you need to know.

Nope not required at all but I know I'll learn a lot of valuable things and be 100% prepared to test for my license since they teach you everything you need to know.

Good on you bro!

Does anyone in your family ride? I assume this is your first street bike. It looks like a pretty decent choice for a start bike.

My fathers first bike was a 1968 Yamaha 650 twin. He has always regretted getting rid of that thing. I personally have never owned a Yamaha, I've ridden several and all have been very nice bikes.

I really like the looks of the FZ series. I am a naked bike fan. 

Welcome to a very expensive yet rewarding hobby!