Motorbikes

Mac

Good on you bro!

Does anyone in your family ride? I assume this is your first street bike. It looks like a pretty decent choice for a start bike.

My fathers first bike was a 1968 Yamaha 650 twin. He has always regretted getting rid of that thing. I personally have never owned a Yamaha, I've ridden several and all have been very nice bikes.

I really like the looks of the FZ series. I am a naked bike fan. 

Welcome to a very expensive yet rewarding hobby!

My uncle does 

Yes very expensive already lol. Ordered a fender eliminator kit and an integrated tailight. $100+ spent already. Next is flush mount turn signals, frame sliders, blacked out windshield, full exhaust system, and possibly HIDs. All of that is $1500 easy.

EDIT: Also a fan of naked bikes. I might remove the fairings and buy clip on bars in the future.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

My uncle does 

Yes very expensive already lol. Ordered a fender eliminator kit and an integrated tailight. $100+ spent already. Next is flush mount turn signals, frame sliders, blacked out windshield, full exhaust system, and possibly HIDs. All of that is $1500 easy.

EDIT: Also a fan of naked bikes. I might remove the fairings and buy clip on bars in the future.

Make this priority #1. In the class they will say that something like 95% of riders will drop the bike in their first year and a good set of frame sliders can save you thousands of dollars in damage to costly body panels.

Every single new rider I knew in high school put their bike down at least once. Usually at very low speeds or even stopped at a gas station, but we all did it. I have put one bike down in my 10 years on two wheels, and guess what, it was my first summer.

Which reminds me, do you have a good helmet? jacket? gloves? ankle high boots? If you don't have any of these get them before you even go to the class. The instructors will scold you if you show up without any of these pieces of gear, and wont let you get on a bike until you are able to produce the gear.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Make this priority #1. In the class they will say that something like 95% of riders will drop the bike in their first year and a good set of frame sliders can save you thousands of dollars in damage to costly body panels.

Every single new rider I knew in high school put their bike down at least once. Usually at very low speeds or even stopped at a gas station, but we all did it. I have put one bike down in my 10 years on two wheels, and guess what, it was my first summer.

Which reminds me, do you have a good helmet? jacket? gloves? ankle high boots? If you don't have any of these get them before you even go to the class. The instructors will scold you if you show up without any of these pieces of gear, and wont let you get on a bike until you are able to produce the gear.

I'm looking at Shogun frame sliders. They appear to be good for the money.but I'd like you to verify that for me.

With regards to gear, I have a BELL Vortex helmet and Icon Justice Mesh gloves. I don't have riding boots/shoes but I have a pair of high tops that I'll wear for the class. I'll be buying a jacket very soon when I get my paycheck.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

The shogun sliders are fine for the money. You really don't need a fancy set of sliders unless you like the look better and decide the price premium for the aesthetics area worth it.

Revzilla is a good place to look for stuff, they have some pretty decent reviews on youtube of lots of stuff too. Another great place to look for deals is sport bike track gear. They can have some really good sales from time to time.

I am really not a huge user of specific riding shoes for the street, any set of good stiff soul and high ankle boots will do just fine. I only use dedicated boots while on the track, but I have a completely different get up for that.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

The shogun sliders are fine for the money. You really don't need a fancy set of sliders unless you like the look better and decide the price premium for the aesthetics area worth it.

Revzilla is a good place to look for stuff, they have some pretty decent reviews on youtube of lots of stuff too. Another great place to look for deals is sport bike track gear. They can have some really good sales from time to time.

I am really not a huge user of specific riding shoes for the street, any set of good stiff soul and high ankle boots will do just fine. I only use dedicated boots while on the track, but I have a completely different get up for that.

From my understanding Revzilla is the Newegg of riding gear. I've ordered my gloves and helmet from there and so far no complaints with their service, shipping, etc. I just wish they had a larger inventory of some items but whatever odds and ends I can't find on there I'll get on Amazon or elsewhere.

Buuuump

Update on my riding adventures:

I went for several rides this weekend. I started small on my side streets then graduated to a few main roads. I'm also still in the process of mastering the clutch lol. My upshifting is still rough too. Either I fail to close the throttle or I let the clutch out too quickly which results in some really harsh shifting. The bike dying on me is a result of forgetting that first is one gear down from neutral, not up and so I've been giving it too little throttle for takeoffs. I don't make that mistake much anymore.

You guys were not kidding about the power of a 600 sport bike. O lawd is she fast :D I hit 80MPH on a back road in 3rd gear and it was begging for more power! (won't do that again for a while)

It's 30F where I live but I think I'm going to ride to the gym tonight after work anyways. For any first time riders, I recommend the Icon Contra jacket. I'm already in love with it.

I went for several rides this weekend. I started small on my side streets then graduated to a few main roads. I'm also still in the process of mastering the clutch lol. My upshifting is still rough too. Either I fail to close the throttle or I let the clutch out too quickly which results in some really harsh shifting. The bike dying on me is a result of forgetting that first is one gear down from neutral, not up and so I've been giving it too little throttle for takeoffs. I don't make that mistake much anymore.

Motorcycle clutches take a little getting used to. It took me a couple of goes to get them down too. For now, don't worry about shifting fast, try your hardest to be as smooth as you can be. If the shift takes 3 or four second that's no big deal. 

I'm very jealous of your weather! its -5F here right now. My bikes are all still hiding in the garage. Doesn't look like they will see the light of day for at least another month. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Put about 300 miles on my new bike since I turned 17 and could ride it on Saturday.

Also passed my theory yesterday, so hopefully I can get rid of my L plates fairly soon :)

Put about 300 miles on my new bike since I turned 17 and could ride it on Saturday.

Also passed my theory yesterday, so hopefully I can get rid of my L plates fairly soon :)

Nice. What are L plates? I'm guessing they're temp plates or they designate you as not being fully licensed but maybe a "learner" hence the L?

I start my safety courses today. It'll be 4 hours in class tonight and then Saturday and Sunday is the riding portion of it. I cannot wait to get my license so I can legally ride at night (done it a few times already lol) and get on the highway. The weather lately has been perfect for commuting to work and school. I already have 100 miles on my bike. It'll be time for its first service here pretty soon.

I also have some aftermarket parts coming in soon so stay tuned guys! Flush mount turn signals and frame sliders both of which should be here by Friday for a nice weekend project  :D. I got my plate light on Monday but I'm waiting for my title to come in the mail so I can install the light and plate at the same time.

Fender Eliminator and LED integrated tailight. The end looks much cleaner now

post-6820-0-46796900-1394033527_thumb.jp

post-6820-0-25503000-1394033528_thumb.jp

Nice. What are L plates? I'm guessing they're temp plates or they designate you as not being fully licensed but maybe a "learner" hence the L?

I start my safety courses today. It'll be 4 hours in class tonight and then Saturday and Sunday is the riding portion of it. I cannot wait to get my license so I can legally ride at night (done it a few times already lol) and get on the highway. The weather lately has been perfect for commuting to work and school. I already have 100 miles on my bike. It'll be time for its first service here pretty soon.

I also have some aftermarket parts coming in soon so stay tuned guys! Flush mount turn signals and frame sliders both of which should be here by Friday for a nice weekend project :D. I got my plate light on Monday but I'm waiting for my title to come in the mail so I can install the light and plate at the same time.

Fender Eliminator and LED integrated tailight. The end looks much cleaner now

fender before.jpg

final.jpg

In the UK we have L plates, the show that you're a learner. You need to take a CBT which allows you to ride up to a 125cc machine for 2 years, it's so you can get the basics done while on the 2 hours on the road on the CBT then you can ride and learn for when you do your test.

In the UK we have L plates, the show that you're a learner. You need to take a CBT which allows you to ride up to a 125cc machine for 2 years, it's so you can get the basics done while on the 2 hours on the road on the CBT then you can ride and learn for when you do your test.

See that's awesome that it lasts for two years. A permit here only lasts one year however there is no restriction (fortunately) on engine size even though things prob would be better if there was. Some people simply don't have the self-control to start on a fast bike.

Could you maybe explain the tiers of motorcycles in the UK?

I have heard that you can only ride larger displacement bikes after so many years on smaller bikes. After your two years on a 125cc bike can you get any bike you want? or is there another layer of displacement limits?

Im just curious on the motorcycle laws across the pond. 

Could you maybe explain the tiers of motorcycles in the UK?

I have heard that you can only ride larger displacement bikes after so many years on smaller bikes. After your two years on a 125cc bike can you get any bike you want? or is there another layer of displacement limits?

Im just curious on the motorcycle laws across the pond. 

CBT (basic training) 50cc moped if 16, 125cc if 17 or over.

at 17 you can take you licence which allows you to ride a 125cc with a passenger

at 19 you can take the test to allow you to ride up to 47 BHP

at 21 you can take the test again to be completely un restricted

or at 24 you can just take the one test and have a full unrestricted licence

if like me you pass before jan 2013 its 1 test that allows 33hp for 2 years then automatic derestriction without taking another test

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

CBT (basic training) 50cc moped if 16, 125cc if 17 or over.

at 17 you can take you licence which allows you to ride a 125cc with a passenger

at 19 you can take the test to allow you to ride up to 47 BHP

at 21 you can take the test again to be completely un restricted

or at 24 you can just take the one test and have a full unrestricted licence

if like me you pass before jan 2013 its 1 test that allows 33hp for 2 years then automatic derestriction without taking another test

Thanks for explaining!

Update for you guys:

Took the MSF course this weekend and failed by 7 points :/ I can retake the skills test at the end of this month so I'll be practicing in the meanwhile I guess. 

Installed a few mods on Friday too. I'll be sure to update this post with pics for you guys to check out.

Update for you guys:

Took the MSF course this weekend and failed by 7 points :/ I can retake the skills test at the end of this month so I'll be practicing in the meanwhile I guess. 

Installed a few mods on Friday too. I'll be sure to update this post with pics for you guys to check out.

Congrats on completing the MSF course! 

Bum deal on failing the skills test though. Don't get discouraged, a little more practice and you will have that one licked. What parts did you struggle with? Perhaps some of us more experienced members can recommend a few practice methods.

Cant wait to see your mods :) I'm a little jealous that you are getting a bit of seat time, today was the first day of the year that temps ventured above freezing here. I really need to find a good job somewhere I can ride year round ;)

Congrats on completing the MSF course! 

Bum deal on failing the skills test though. Don't get discouraged, a little more practice and you will have that one licked. What parts did you struggle with? Perhaps some of us more experienced members can recommend a few practice methods.

Cant wait to see your mods :) I'm a little jealous that you are getting a bit of seat time, today was the first day of the year that temps ventured above freezing here. I really need to find a good job somewhere I can ride year round ;)

I mainly got points deducted doing the maneuverability in the box. I went over the line and put my feet down a few times. I know you're supposed to look in the direction you're turning and I did that but I was going too slow. I felt like I started out good but everything went to crap once I put my feet down. It didn't help that my stomach was upset from all of the stress too. I had gas during and after. I need to control my nerves better.

I mainly got points deducted doing the maneuverability in the box. I went over the line and put my feet down a few times. I know you're supposed to look in the direction you're turning and I did that but I was going too slow. I felt like I started out good but everything went to crap once I put my feet down. It didn't help that my stomach was upset from all of the stress too. I had gas during and after. I need to control my nerves better.

Yeah that's a tough part. What type of bikes did they have you on?

What helped me with the slow speed maneuvering exercises was moving my entire ass off of the seat in to the outside of the turn, and have just your hamstring on the seat.

It sounds like you were doing a good job looking through the corner, which is a big hurdle for a lot of people. After that, its just confidence. Perhaps practice on a bicycle in the garage. Its easier to recover from mistakes on a super lightweight bicycle compared to a 400+ lb motorcycle. It will also help you learn how slow you can really go and maintain stability, its likely a whole lot slower than you think. 

Confidence bro, have faith that you can do it, and you probably can. :)

Yeah that's a tough part. What type of bikes did they have you on?

What helped me with the slow speed maneuvering exercises was moving my entire ass off of the seat in to the outside of the turn, and have just your hamstring on the seat.

It sounds like you were doing a good job looking through the corner, which is a big hurdle for a lot of people. After that, its just confidence. Perhaps practice on a bicycle in the garage. Its easier to recover from mistakes on a super lightweight bicycle compared to a 400+ lb motorcycle. It will also help you learn how slow you can really go and maintain stability, its likely a whole lot slower than you think. 

Confidence bro, have faith that you can do it, and you probably can. :)

I should have chosen the Yamaha dual sport but opted for this one instead. It's a Suzuki TU250

Suzuki%20TU250%20001.jpg

You know I totally forgot to do counter-weighting. When I was regularly riding my bicycle a few years ago I'd do that stuff all the time and it felt natural but I forget to do it on a motorcycle for some reason. My uncle suggested that I go into an empty parking lot and practice riding in circles with my clutch using the friction zone. Then gradually make them tighter and eventually link them together.

Almost forgot about pics lol. I will not disappoint!

I'd love to ride a motorcycle, but unfortunately I live in the US where everyone drives SUVs, Hummers, pick-up trucks, Prii, and tanks, especially tanks. The fact that I drive a manual would be "alien" in the good ol' "autos-only" US. Seriously, I had a lady honk at me when I my car slipped back a little because the parking space wasn't flat. Really? It moved a freaking inch and you honk at me. Personally, I like classic, standard, upright, or whatever they're called nowadays motorcycles. So stuff like this:

sakura.jpg

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

post-6820-0-55199200-1394416367_thumb.jp

Flush mount turn signal (off)

post-6820-0-22523900-1394416368_thumb.jp

Another shot of frame sliders

post-6820-0-71913200-1394416368_thumb.jp

Flush mount turn signal (left)

post-6820-0-19035300-1394416369_thumb.jp

LED plate lights (before being busted)

post-6820-0-84917500-1394416369_thumb.jp

Tank pad

post-6820-0-36151400-1394416370_thumb.jp

Left frame slider

post-6820-0-80289300-1394416370_thumb.jp

Right frame slider

post-6820-0-21444600-1394416371_thumb.jp

As you can see here I tried adjusting the plate lights and the housing cracked. Contacted the seller on eBay and they're sending out a new set. I literally got a reply in less than an hour. I'm super impressed. Hopefully these hold up. I also get a new tailight tomorrow so I'll be sure to install that. I'll try to nab a few natural daylight shots for you guys tomorrow since it's supposed to be beautiful and I'll get it at all angles.

first weekend of summer weather in the uk, take care people lots of crashes this time of year. my friend hit a wall at 70mph yesterday, lucky to be alive.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

first weekend of summer weather in the uk, take care people lots of crashes this time of year. my friend hit a wall at 70mph yesterday, lucky to be alive.

Shit man, he's lucky.

Loads of accidents yesterday :( Ride safe all.

Did a 250 mile trip with a couple of mates. Was fun until my fuel pump crapped out and I was left stranded 100 miles from home. Another friend got a puncture literally 5 minutes later. Clearly wasn't our day :P

Shit man, he's lucky.

Loads of accidents yesterday :( Ride safe all.

Did a 250 mile trip with a couple of mates. Was fun until my fuel pump crapped out and I was left stranded 100 miles from home. Another friend got a puncture literally 5 minutes later. Clearly wasn't our day :P

Saturday was a good day too, I did a 70mile trip and now my engine is broken.

Wasn't a good weekend for me either.

Saturday was a good day too, I did a 70mile trip and now my engine is broken.

Wasn't a good weekend for me either.

Sorry to hear that. What went wrong? 

I hope its nothing super major.