Have You Ever Bought a Used PC Hardware?

What (If any) parts shouldn't you buy refurbished?

I would never buy a HDD used or refurbished.     I'd buy a used SSD if the owner could prove its age with a receipt.   

.... In fact, I probably wouldn't buy anything preowned with moving parts. 

I've never bought used PC hardware, but I frequently find old computers in the Free Stuff section of Craigslist. I actually just picked up an SR1834NX earlier today. I'll have to replace a broken bracket before I can see if it actually runs though.

I found an IBM ThinkCentre at an electronics recycling drop off.  It had no RAM though, and the hard drive was gone too.  But it had everything else, including a wireless card.  So I bought some RAM and it does POST.  Not sure what I'm gonna do with it but I'll figure something out (I think I'd like to try something with PXE booting so I don't need a hard drive though :P).

I found an HP Pavilion, which I currently use as a server, on the side of the road in the mud with the side (where the motherboard sits) kicked in really badly.  It also had no RAM, but it had a 1TB HDD in it.  I use it as my server.  It lasted half a year before the motherboard died.  So I bought a new motherboard and everything else works perfectly still (PSU was dead when I found it too though, and I needed a new case as well so I had to buy those back when I found it regardless (along with RAM)).

It had Windows 8 on it when I found it (and this was back when Windows 8 just came out).  Upon inspecting the hard drive it appeared to be a fairly new computer (essentially no programs had been installed).  The only log I found on the computer said DragonAge 2 failed to install.

So the story I can paint based on that (although I personally doubt it's the case, but you never know), is this person buys this brand new computer.  Immediately they go to install DragonAge 2 on it.  It fails, so they kick the side of the case in, rip the RAM out, and throw the thing out the door into the snow and mud.  :P  Again, I doubt this is actually true.  But that's the image you get based on the state I found it in and the logs.  :V  There was also a broken monitor beside it along with another computer (a much older computer (which I also took but have yet to test and probably will never use anyways)).

It now runs Ubuntu Server 14.04 and I have a bunch of virtual servers on there (some game servers such as Minecraft and Starbound, and then some servers I use mainly for school such as ownCloud and MySQL (in my course we work with databases so I just use a remote database rather than have it on my laptop :P)).

I've found several other computers as well; none of which work.  Although I've found a Dell which looks like it just needs a few capacitors replaced to run.  I've also found a plasma screen TV in the electronics recycling drop off; it needed two capacitors replaced and now it works perfectly.  :P

Also found an old Sony monitor in the recycling drop off place.  I use it as a monitor when I need to test computers or if I break my server bad enough that I can't SSH into it anymore.  :P

I was wondering though: does anyone know of any good places to buy used hardware online for cheap (for the Toronto area in Ontario)?  As it'd be really nice to find all these free computers, and then buy some cheap RAM for them rather than have to spend $20.  :P

I've bought so many things used and they're all fine. I actually recommend buying used to most of the people I know. I buy off of tech forums though because they usually keep their stuff in better condition. Saved a whole lot of money and nothing was ever wrong with the things I bought.  I've bought multiple gtx 780s, a gtx760, a gtx 580, a 256GB Crucial ssd, an h220, an EK gtx 780 ti waterblock and backplate, a few cpus (4770k and 4670), a 2x8GB kit of G.Skill ram, 8 Gentle Typhoon fans, and a lot of headphones. 

I have "Barowed" screens from family members.... and I have bought a used mouse and got a used keyboard from a family member. Nothing else I think....

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

I bought a used bottle of thermal paste (size of a toothpaste bottle BTW) for 50 cents....

Oh, I also bought a Logitech Pro 9000 (sick webcam BTW) for 5 bucks. I think it's worth like 70-something now.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I bought my first PC, when I was 8, from my cousin, for 100 Euros. It was together with CRT monitor, mechanical keyboard, and a big collection of games. It rad Windows 98, and did not have an ethernet port. It was my first step towards my passion for Computer Software. Since then, my dream was to program. I am now a first year student, planning to Major in Computer Science. I don't know what i would have become without that used PC.

I've taken a few things off off friends but mostly peripherals. I'd never buy used computer hardware simply because I don't trust it... 

I got my GTX 760 DCUII from ebay, turned up in brand new condition, even though it had been used. It's still working fine after about a year now, plus I've got it nicely OC'd as well.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I haven't, and i wouldn't.

I like what i buy to be brand new because:

It's brand new.

I don't trust used items, i just don't, generally when an offer it's too good something is wrong, and when it's too close to the brand new price it's not worth it. I wouldn't buy a used piece of hardware just to save 100$ for example.

I would buy something used from a friend, but only if it has 6 months of usage, tops.

When i bought my monitor, which is a tv, it was the last one and it was the ones that are on a shelf to show how it looks, so it was kinda used, but i got warranty and all that, and it looks and works as day1 and it has about 1 year of usage right now.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I tend to sell my older GPUs on Amazon Marketplace. You can find some good deals on there if you research the seller. I tend to be buy with more confidence since you are protected by Amazon. If your item is defective/incorrect... you can return and get your money back sans shipping fees (in most cases). Return window is 30 days too which is great.

I tend to sell my older GPUs on Amazon Marketplace. You can find some good deals on there if you research the seller. I tend to be buy with more confidence since you are protected by Amazon. If your item is defective/incorrect... you can return and get your money back sans shipping fees (in most cases). Return window is 30 days too which is great.

And the 30 days can be extended if you need to! I had to extend it last time i returned something.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Bought my r9 280x for $350 when it was $450. It was only used for 3 months.

Almost all my PCs that aren't custom were bought used. I bought a GeForce 9600 GT used and it always worked just fine and saved me $50. I buy manufacturer refurbished when I can from Apple, for instance, since every single refurbished product appears to be absolutely perfect cosmetically.

The only thing I will never buy used are "finger" accessories like mice, keyboards, controllers, and other interface devices. I've cleaned out my mechanical keyboard after a year and I know what kind of crap gets into even the most tidy of techy's stuff like myself.

I buy most of my items nowadays used,as I'm a poor cheap-ass.

What I can remember buying used at the moment:

-My first bought computer (Some Windows Vista -era laptop, slow, but faster than my first laptop)

-My first bought desktop (HP Compaq dc7600 for 175€. Still in use by my mother)

And then begins the used parts that have been in my rig or still are in there:

-Asus GTX 550 Ti (100€. Got ripped off by my own godparent)

-OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD. Broke after 1,5 years of usage, lost Win 7 Pro licence in the process.

-Gigabyte GTX 590 (270€. Bought it over half a year ago. No problems with it except it's ****ing loud)

-My keyboard and mouse -set (Logitech EX100 wireless keyboard, mouse no-longer in use)

-WD Caviar Green 1TB 5400RPM Sata II HDD (from my godparent, don't remember the price anymore)

-ViewSonic VP171s 1280x1024 17" monitor (bought with the HP Compaq dc 7600 years ago. That monitor is still my only monitor)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Bought my GTX 690 used along with one of my 2TB Segate hard drives. 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

What (If any) parts shouldn't you buy refurbished?

Never buy used Hard drives or SSDs. Because there is no way to return one to its manufactured state and if it dies you lose all the data on it. Unless you pay to have it recovered which costs like a thousand bucks. Last I heard.

^ i have to agree with hard drives and SSDs. i bought a gtx 670 for my first build for $80 used i am never buying a used gpu again coil whine is really annoying the card itself is in great condition though.

I sell my stuff.. but never bought anything used

If it's exactly what I want/ need, then I'll prefer to buy it used.

The whole reliability thing is a myth, you're actually more likely to get a lemon by buying new, a second hand item essentially had an extra round of QA with its previous owner. The amount of computer parts that come dead from factory are several hundred times more common than parts that will die within 5-10 years.

Of course, there are certain things that this does not apply to, like fans, power supplies and mechanical hard drives. I'll also avoid motherboards, unless it's a motherboard ecosystem that is EOL and thus not available new.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Never buy used Hard drives or SSDs. Because there is no way to return one to its manufactured state and if it dies you lose all the data on it. Unless you pay to have it recovered which costs like a thousand bucks. Last I heard.

AHHHHH...

I should have thought about that myself.

Ahem "For your excellent contribution to this post, I the Gif Master Award you 1 Gif Point.  I hope to see more amazing contributions soon."

51328-This-post-I-like-it-Another-Th-Pv2

Because he had a hard drive.

My GTX 680 is second hand. The guy i bought it from had 2 680s and a 690 and he has a pretty goood record on his profile so i bought it for the price between a 670 and 660ti at that time.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I remember on Top Gear UK a few years ago, all 3 presenters purchased second hand BMW 3 series convertibles. Two of the cars fell apart, and one was perfectly fine. The moral of the story was you never know what the person before you was doing with the thing your buying.