raspberry pi

ixiboneheadixi

ok so i will be getting a raspberry pi soon(university crap so im assuming i probably wont do too much interesting with it with school) but wtf can i do with the thing? anything cool i guess i just dont want to hook it up to the tv for a media pc or anything, just wondering cool random things you could do with it? 

with its whole 512mbs of ram and 300mhz possessor. maybe word processing, maybe.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

with its whole 512mbs of ram and 300mhz possessor. maybe word processing, maybe.

ha yeah. i just dont want the damn thing to go to waste, trying to find something to do with it. 

Christmas light controller?

NAS/Home Server?

Retro gaming console?

Christmas light controller?

NAS/Home Server?

Retro gaming console?

How does it perform as a NAS? I might invest in a decent external hard drive/WD Red if they're any good

Play Minecraft on it.

a whole 3fps xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

How does it perform as a NAS? I might invest in a decent external hard drive/WD Red if they're any good

Haven't tried it myself but it should perform as expected... Powerful processing is not that needed in NAS setups... You might have to connect the HDDs via USB though...

It might not be able to handle FreeNAS properly so some extra research is needed...

You can do in-home streaming with limelightpi, if you have an nvidia graphic card.

Use the retropie emulator to run classic games, going from the Atari 2600 to the PS2 (doesn't run that well. I tried)

You could use the pi version of XBMC on it for a media system, but that's kinda boring really.

Maybe use it for an automated boat that will sail across a lake etc. (some guys made one that went across the Atlantic or something like that)

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I have one that's always on hooked to a tv that displays the weather forecast. I also have another that it's only purpose is to stream from twitch. They are always on and work pretty well. 

Haven't tried it myself but it should perform as expected... Powerful processing is not that needed in NAS setups... You might have to connect the HDDs via USB though...

It might not be able to handle FreeNAS properly so some extra research is needed...

I mean, I could try do some speed tests with it. The only problem is I have UPNP disabled...

XBMC, home server, home automation, emulators. Loads of weird shit.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I used mine for a torrent server, as its not going to make any noise and I could just leave it going.

When I migrated my torrent server to my NAS and moved to Uni, I used it for uploading and downloading to/from the NAS, as it was low power so I could leave it on constantly.

At some point used it for XMBC, emulators.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I mean, I could try do some speed tests with it. The only problem is I have UPNP disabled...

When i tested mine over the network i was getting a few hundred KB/s transfer speeds. I think the CPU is just too damn slow for it. It also cannot run FreeNAS because it's ARM.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Play Quake 3.

Learn overclocking (I got 1200mhz from mine, stacked a few copper coins on it for cooling ;))

I use mine as an XBMC media centre ghetto mounted to a TV.

Play Minecraft on it.

minecraft does not need gpu performance, or even quad cores. minecraft just needs fast cpus. to to able to reasonably play MC you nee about 2.6GHz at least

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Play Quake 3.

Learn overclocking (I got 1200mhz from mine, stacked a few copper coins on it for cooling ;))

I use mine as an XBMC media centre ghetto mounted to a TV.

i made a usb micro cooler, i took a heatsink from a old mobo (like the one below the ram slots) and i sliiconed a 30mm fan onto it, got a old usb cable stripped it down to wires and then soldered it onto the fan wires and put some shrink rap tubing over the connection. it works great!

a whole 3fps xD

The Raspberry Pi edition runs at decent FPS.

you would be lucky to get 5fps with setting all the way down with optifine installed. My OLD laptop had a Pentium 4 1.9GHz (OC'ed it to 2.0GHz) and it got about 23fps with everything down to the lowest

Minecraft Pi edition

minecraft does not need gpu performance, or even quad cores. minecraft just needs fast cpus. to to able to reasonably play MC you nee about 2.6GHz at least

There is a pi eddition

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

you would be lucky to get 5fps with setting all the way down with optifine installed. My OLD laptop had a Pentium 4 1.9GHz (OC'ed it to 2.0GHz) and it got about 23fps with everything down to the lowest

isn't the raspi one a port of the mobile version? i got it running just fine.

the videocore 4 in the raspi isn't too shabby.

Make Floppy Drive music. That's a big challenge. But I guess it's better to control than on a arduino.

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

They max out at like 3-4 Mbps and by then all the RAM is used and CPU is maxed.

Even if you overclock it, it doesn't get too much performance.

I don't know about FTP benchmarks since I was running a samba share one one for a while.

And if it maxed out at 3-4 mBps on a Samba server I'm sure FTPS encoding Will bring it to its knees at like 500 kBps

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Fold. At home.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.