8GB and 980 or 16GB and 970?

H4X3R

the 8gb + 980 comes in a little more than the other option.

The 970s aren't restocking and i really want a PC. I could afford 8GB and a 980 however i am not sure it (980) justifies the cost (50 euros more). I also used 16GB in my previous build so once again, i am unusure if i can make the transition to 8GB.

What do you think?

PS It's ddr4 memory

PS2

Build plan as requested:

CPU: 5820K
Mobo: X99 UD5H wifi
GPU: G1 gaming gtx 970
CPU Cooler: CM 612 v2
Case: Enthoo Pro
RAM: Crucial 2133 cl15 16GB
PSU: XFX XTR 650W
Additional Fans: Nanoxia 120m

mx100 and 1tb toshiba HDD

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

970 and save up for a 4690k.

Thanks for the laugh :)

DEfinately choose the gtx 980. You could always buy more memory, but you will have to sell your gtx 970 to get the 980.

Don't have a 970 yet, all out of stock here in austria (or SUPER overpriced)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Woah there! You have a 290x, why would you upgrade so soon? Also, x99 is a waste of money for gaming and so are 16gb of ram.

edit

ESPECIALLY with them 1080p monitors

/edit

As for the question itself, the sensible option would be 8gb and a 970.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Out of those 2 choices 980 and 8gb. If I were you I wouldn't go for the new x99 platform, and ddr4. It's more future proof sure, but get a z97 mobo 4690k and 8gb of ddr3

I'd say 16GB and 970.

I mean, I generally just say get the one with the better GPU, but going back to 8GB from 16GB won't be that nice, so, I vote option 1.

The GTX 970 is still a beast of a card, and you'll be able to get another in the future, if you will need more performance, and you won't have to get like a nuclear reactor to power the cards, they consume a very small amount of power, for the performance that they deliver.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Woah there! You have a 290x, why would you upgrade so soon? Also, x99 is a waste of money for gaming and so are 16gb of ram.

edit

ESPECIALLY with them 1080p monitors

/edit

As for the question itself, the sensible option would be 8gb and a 970.

I sold it, read the desc.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Thanks for the laugh :)

I'm serious. You won't get enough out of a 970 with your 8350 in multiplayer games.

I'd say 16GB and 970.

I mean, I generally just say get the one with the better GPU, but going back to 8GB from 16GB won't be that nice, so, I vote option 1.

The GTX 970 is still a beast of a card, and you'll be able to get another in the future, if you will need more performance, and you won't have to get like a nuclear reactor to power the cards, they consume a very small amount of power, for the performance that they deliver.

good to hear a well explained and thought-out answer.

But i think i will have to wait until november until the 970s are a good enough price (still overpriced) for me to buy.

I don't quite play many games that benefit from SLI and i like my room to not heat up like my previous AMD system so i'll be sticking with 1 GPU.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I'm serious. You won't get enough out of a 970 with your 8350 in multiplayer games.

I sold that build...why do so many people not read the first few words?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I sold it, read the desc.

oh lol sorry I missed that.

regardless, x99 is a waste of money for gaming,

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@H4X3R it would be extremely helpful if you would post the entire system and what you plan to use it for...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

oh lol sorry I missed that.

regardless, x99 is a waste of money for gaming,

Well i am getting it regardless of what people say.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

@H4X3R it would be extremely helpful if you would post the entire system and what you plan to use it for...

Sure. Updated the first post. 

PS you won;t sway me from my part choice.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Sure. Updated the first post. 

PS you won;t sway me from my part choice.

Not going to try.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well i am getting it regardless of what people say.

But if you weren't going to listen to advice, why did you post on a forum?  :huh:

well, your money. As I said, I'd personally go for the 970 and 8gb, but if that isn't an option go 970 and 16gb, the 980 is overpriced as hell.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But if you weren't going to listen to advice, why did you post on a forum?  :huh:

well, your money. As I said, I'd personally go for the 970 and 8gb, but if that isn't an option go 970 and 16gb, the 980 is overpriced as hell.

I asked about the GPU, not the whole system ;)

Thanks for your input.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I asked about the GPU, not the whole system ;)

Thanks for your input.

Am I correct in assuming your primary use is gaming? Do you do video editing?

good to hear a well explained and thought-out answer.

But i think i will have to wait until november until the 970s are a good enough price (still overpriced) for me to buy.

I don't quite play many games that benefit from SLI and i like my room to not heat up like my previous AMD system so i'll be sticking with 1 GPU.

Well, when it comes to heat, it's pretty much the same thing as the power consumption.

Power consumption going down means temperatures going down, so when running two of those in SLI you probably won't have to worry much about temperatures.

But you said that you don't play too many games, so that's not too relevant. 

I still think that going with 16GB of memory would be better, but if you don't want to wait too much, then get the 980 and 8GB of memory. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Am I correct in assuming your primary use is gaming? Do you do video editing?

You said you weren't gonna sway me, and i only asked for advice on the GPU not whole build.

I don't do much video editing. I do lots of streaming though.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

You said you weren't gonna sway me, and i only asked for advice on the GPU not whole build.

I don't do much video editing. I do lots of streaming though.

Lol I am not trying to sway you!!!

If you do more video editing I would suggest more system RAM and the 970, if you do more gaming I would suggest 8 GB of ram and a 980. It makes a difference what you are doing with the machine.

I sold that build...why do so many people not read the first few words?

Save up for a 8350 then. Lol. 

Joking aside, I'd just get a 970 and put a bit more in your budget to afford a 2nd 970. 970's in SLI don't consume as much as you think, http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-and-980-reference-review,7.html - 160W in a worst case scenario like Furmark, make 130W of it in a real game, ~260W vs 130W isn't a lot imo. If I failed convincing you, well see it from this perspective, is it really worth paying 200-250$ more for 15% more performance? You can buy other things with that money instead..

8350 will bottleneck it badly though

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

He could get a 4790k instead while still saving money and getting better performance than a 5820k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020