Asus zenfone app compatibility & performance

Sauron

Hi everyone!

I was considering an asus zenfone 5 to replace my trusty but aging nokia 5800. The specs and build quality are good for the price and it includes some features that even way higher end devices don't have (for example an sd card slot).

BUT, the cpu is an intel atom. Which has me worried that I will suffer from incompatibility with useful apps and get bad performance in them. I am also specifically interested in hearing your opinion on how it would perform in the android port of doom 3: do you think t would be playable even if it's not specifically optimized for intel architectures? For reference, I can run doom 3 on my 2012 nexus 7 at 720p if I give up lighting and play on low details; do you think I'd be able to achieve the same on the zenfone?

Lastly, even though this particular question is probably in the wrong section, do you think I'd have any issues recompiling the source code for doom3's android port on the atom cpu and would it make a difference?

Thanks a lot :D

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

who knows, android is a huge bag of tricks like that...  lol

My guess is you wont be left out in the cold though.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

although I would like to add, if your going android just get a nexus...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

the nexus 5 is significantly more expensive though and the nexus 4 is outdated.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hi everyone!

I was considering an asus zenfone 5 to replace my trusty but aging nokia 5800. The specs and build quality are good for the price and it includes some features that even way higher end devices don't have (for example an sd card slot).

BUT, the cpu is an intel atom. Which has me worried that I will suffer from incompatibility with useful apps and get bad performance in them. I am also specifically interested in hearing your opinion on how it would perform in the android port of doom 3: do you think t would be playable even if it's not specifically optimized for intel architectures? For reference, I can run doom 3 on my 2012 nexus 7 at 720p if I give up lighting and play on low details; do you think I'd be able to achieve the same on the zenfone?

Lastly, even though this particular question is probably in the wrong section, do you think I'd have any issues recompiling the source code for doom3's android port on the atom cpu and would it make a difference?

Thanks a lot :D

It should be fine, but iirc some ROMs don't support Atoms, such as Cyanogenmod, so keep that in mind.

Actually, I wouldn't. Choose the phone that you like.

I personally wouldn't ever buy a Nexus as they look too bland, use mediocre specs, the Nexus 5's screen is (get this) too small and Stock Android is too boring. Which is why I'm going for the Note 4, as even if TouchWiz is bloated, I'd rather have too many features than too little.

Again, personal preference.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650