mATX high end pc with 970gtx vs 980m laptop

bydus

Hi there, so I was about to build a mATX portable quiet gaming rig but now i'm not sure if I should. I have no parts to use in mATX therefore i would have to buy everything from scratch and I calculated it would cost me around 1300$. Now I could wait few months and get a laptop with 980m for few hundred extra $ with suppose to have similar performance to 970 gtx which I would get for my rig along with intel 4790k. Now I wanted to ask what are some linus forum opinion on this matter. I assume that any 980m laptops would be much louder than quiet build mATX rig. I don't travel often but I like the idea of having a gaming laptop to take anywhere but then again not sure. I'm selling my ps4 in order to build a rig as well. Looking forward to hear your thoughts. 

If you don't travel often like you said, you don't need the portability of a gaming laptop.

If you don't travel often like you said, you don't need the portability of a gaming laptop.

the laptop isn't gonna last long gaming on battery, so it really does limit where you can game

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

the laptop isn't gonna last long gaming on battery, so it really does limit where you can game

True, but the way I prefer to use my gaming laptop when I travel is in hotel rooms where I keep it hooked up to power. In fact, I usually remove the battery to mitigate the wear level on it. 

You should get the desktop PC, even if you are not travelling often as you said. It's simply better and it costs less.

If you dont travel around, I vote desktop.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro