Tips for typing quicker?

VG Docs

I've been stuck at 85-95 WPM (during typeracer tests) as my peak for about 3 months now. I've been practicing quite a decent amount, yet I still can't seem to get that nice 100 WPM score on anything. Got 97 today... 

It's driving me crazy, I can't tell what it is I'm doing wrong. Anyone got any tips?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Type quicker? Seriously. I can break 100 on a membrane keyboard. All you need to do is type quicker and memorize the keys better.

Play osu and improve hand eye coordination 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Type quicker? Seriously. I can break 100 on a membrane keyboard. All you need to do is type quicker and memorize the keys better.

What do you mean memorize? You don't really need to memorize to type, right? Muscle memory isn't something where you have to remember every particular letter. Also, whenever I attempt to type quicker I also double tap a key by accident or end up hitting two keys at the same time. 

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Type at a good rhythm and increase the tempo gradually...

(I'm not even a fast typist...)

Type at a good rhythm and increase the tempo gradually...

(I'm not even a fast typist...)

That's how I learn to play difficult songs on my trombone. :P

What do you mean memorize? You don't really need to memorize to type, right? Muscle memory isn't something where you have to remember every particular letter. Also, whenever I attempt to type quicker I also double tap a key by accident or end up hitting two keys at the same time. 

Know where the keys are no matter how fast your fingers are moving. You just need to get better over time.

Honestly, I don't feel like there is a technique to it, you just learn the keys and do.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Model M

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Got a mechanical keyboard?

I didn't actually see your comment until now, but don't mechanical keyboards usually have key switches where you have to press harder than most typing mechanical keyboards? I type pretty lightly. I'm using this keyboard, and even that (with lower set keys than usual) is annoying to type on because I have to press harder than I'd like.

I didn't actually see your comment until now, but don't mechanical keyboards usually have key switches where you have to press harder than most typing mechanical keyboards? I type pretty lightly. I'm using this keyboard, and even that (with lower set keys than usual) is annoying to type on because I have to press harder than I'd like.

It only depends on some switches, and there are just a few that you are right. Cherry MX Greens have a ton of loading force, but most other switches like MX Reds, Browns, and Blues are much lighter. 

what the hell? and i thought 60wpm was good enough.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That's terrible.. That's my lazy speed. D:

Well, when you're constantly peaking at 90+ it'd be nice to get 100 at least once D:

And plus, I've heard higher typing speed is good for gaming due to the the nature of constantly pressing many keys. :P

Have you seen Reckful's typing? Dude's nuts. He's not even one of the best on the intronertz, but definitely the highest I've seen so far.

now i feel slow. D: this explains why i suck at violin. my hand eye coordinatio sucks.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Smashing your face into the keyboard..

Lols! On a serious note, Practice is what makes it perfect , scientist say it takes a bout 2 years to actually master speed typing , the brain virtually adapts to the stimulus just like those who learn to juggle , it is an acquired talent. So keep practicing, you'll get better in a years or so if you try hard enough

That awkward moment when you had to edit out typos after that speech :mellow:... * slow clap *

Details separate people.

just saying, 85-90 is a great range already...

im an 88 myself...

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

That's how I learn to play difficult songs on my trombone. :P

Same concept, different application... Also try playing some rhythm games lke O2Jam, DJMax, or Osu (taiko mode)...

I've had the dishonor of using that keyboard... It was not pleasant... At least it wasn't as bad as the A4tech Natural A...

just saying, 85-90 is a great range already...

im an 88 myself...

Yeah... maybe I should just relax on it and play WoW again. That's how I got from 20 to 85-95 anyway (only been trying typeracer the past few months, WoW for a few years beforehand)

Speaking of typing faster, this just happened like 2 minutes ago. I never got to 100wpm yet, and this was so sad. http://imgur.com/kHczQm1

Dude, I just saw a guy do that exact same thing a couple minutes ago. I think I went against you xD

Got a mechanical keyboard?

Implying a mech keyboard will make a difference, nice one!

Practice on typing tutor programs. Focus on efficiency over speed, speed will come in time.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8