the gtx 970/980 coil whine thread.

Msi gaming 980 here, quietest card I have had to date and I have had alot of aftermarket/reference cards from different brands.

I thought there was a grinding coming from it(really loud) but that was my crappy corsair builder series psu that I have had for a year. Swapped it out for an evga psu and it's now silent.

However, there is a slight led electrical noise coming from the msi gaming/dragon led light but I can only hear that if I take my side panel off and put my ear to the card. It can also be turned off through the LED visualizer in geforce experience.

I have the 970 Strix, was disappointed to find out my card has coil whine.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Just thought i would share, now about 2-3 months 

later with 24/7 load. The coil whine has stopped.

Which is interesting, i thought it would happen

abit sooner, if it was going to stop at all.

Perhaps i should make this my advertising pitch:

Are you suffering from coil whine? do you miss

sleep at night? do you want to fix your sick maxwell gpu?

FOLDING IS YOUR CURE! just fold 24/7 for 3 months

and you will be A-OKAY! you will be contributing to

curing people and hardware at the same time! magic.

• 2 weeks later...

Had 2 evga 970 SC (reference) and both had 'the whine'. Going back to return this second one and get either an MSI, G1 gaming, or Asus Strix

Tallgeese VI Build log coming soon!!
NZXT H440 | Intel Core i5-4690K | MSI Z97S Krait Edition | 12GB Corsair XMS3 | EVGA GTX970 Superclocked | Samsung 840 EVO 240GB, WD Blue 320GB | Corsair CX600M

Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zorin Kay'Van

My 970 G1 has coil whine, but only in benchmarks and I haven't noticed it at all in any other scenarios.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Can't vote in the poll since my card isn't listed.

GALAX GTX 980 HOF

Zero Whine

• 2 weeks later...

This has stopped me from folding :/ Any fixes?

Not as far as i am aware, there is that eccentric glue solution...

You could try overclocking and push some more power through

it. Or/and just let it fold for 2-3 months straight and hope the coil whine

goes away. 

Are you getting coil whine on core 17 wu's aswell?

coil whine is audible only when folding (or reaching 1700 fps in Minecraft)

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

• 2 weeks later...

My Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming isn't coil whining anymore after I turn on v-sync in the games and run them at 60fps non stop. ;)

PC: i5 2500K 4.2 GHz. Cooler Master Seidon 120V VER2. MSI P67A GD55 B3. 8GB Corsair RAM. Corsair TX650W. Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970.

Notebook: ASUS N56JN-CN038H, i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM, GT 840M 2GB, 750 HDD 5400RPM, 15,6" 1920x1080.

• 8 months later...

Lets revive this topic for the sake of humanity... 

I got coil whine in my GTX 980 (EVGA) and yes, usually it's in loading screens and menus, but there is 1 exception and the's when I'm in HOTS shop/heroes in game menu.

I'd think that section isn't much of a "menu" since there are still 3d rendering happening and all and the most important part when those pages I only have 60 fps (Blizzard frame lock) yet my GPU screams like a B---- and it seems like it's getting worse at times...

Plus regardless of it only happening in menu screens and such I reckon having a coil whine issue on high frame rates within 200fps is a bit stupid.... When I run 3D mark the 980 screams as well which no one would expect, nor wish from such an expensive GPU.

Happening on like 1000 fps is probably acceptable but like in game menu and loading it shouldn't really happen should it? 

I mean say you buy a console and they don't scream at you each time you load a game on to it right, so why not the same for like 500+ USD graphics card.

Personally I think it's something manufactures need to consider in their designs now, and most companies do RMA for this issue now. 

Also has anyone recently bought a high-end GTX card and still have coil whining issues? Or am I just complaining about a past issue?

I got a 970 MSI today and it whines just from running windows assesment.

Mine only when running multiple hundred fps. Ie 600-6000+ fps.

Which effects many cards with the electrical screaming. I dont hear it anywhere else though.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz