2x8 or 4x4 OR 2x4? DDR4

H4X3R

I'll be using the UD5.

Should i get 2x8 or 4x4.

Price difference is 5 euros (8$)

OR

Should i just get 8GB (2x4)?

I'll be gaming mainly, but my previous system (check my sig) also had 16GB and i was using about 8GB everytime running a game maxed out and i got accustomed to 16GB.

I'll probs buy more RAM when prices for ddr4 decrease (if i buy 8GB now) but that'll probs be in AT LEAST 6 months time (broadwell will hopefully support ddr4)

2x4 = 100 euros

4x4 / 2x8 = 190 euros

Crucial RAM btw.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

2x8, you'll have room for expanding, though 16gb is enough already.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

2x8, you'll have room for expanding, though 16gb is enough already.

I have 8 slots anyway, so perhaps 4x4 would be a better choice (quad channel).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I have 8 slots anyway, so perhaps 4x4 would be a better choice (quad channel).

Oh man then 4x4 is good.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Oh man then 4x4 is good.

Ok, thanks.

what about:

I'll be gaming mainly, but my previous system (check my sig) also had 16GB and i was using about 8GB everytime running a game maxed out and i got accustomed to 16GB.

I'll probs buy more RAM when prices for ddr4 decrease (if i buy 8GB now) but that'll probs be in AT LEAST 6 months time (broadwell will hopefully support ddr4)

2x4 = 100 euros

4x4 / 2x8 = 190 euros

Crucial RAM btw.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Ok, thanks.

what about:

Well if you feel like 8gb is enough for the time, you could upgrade later. But if you say you used 8gb when playing a game it'll be safer to go 16gb right away. Your choice really.

for only gaming it wont make much sense if you go with 4x4 or 2x8 realy.

But yeah why X99 for gaming in the first place?.

for only gaming it wont make much sense if you go with 4x4 or 2x8 realy.

But yeah why X99 for gaming in the first place?

because i can (it fits in my budget of 2100 euros).

I was thinking the same thing, i don't really need 16GB but i just feel that 8GB is too little (especailly since i was using 16GB in my old system) and there is no 12GB intermediary option.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I was thinking the same thing, i don't really need 16GB but i just feel that 8GB is too little (especailly since i was using 16GB in my old system) and there is no 12GB intermediary option.

So you're going x99 to get worse performance in gaming "because you can" ?

You could get MUCH better performance with a 4790k and an extra graphics card.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well okay, offcourse its a huge budget and offcourse it fits nicely a 5930K

However, you wont realy bennefit  from X99 in gaming to be honnest.

Unless you are planning to go crazy on gpu setups. like triple or quad sli / cf.

Or if you are planning on using allot of adding cards like raid controllers or what not.

Then offcourse a 5930k could make sense, with its 40 pci-e 3.0 lanes.

But mainaly X99 is only realy interessting if you do allot of productivity stuff next to gaming.

So you're going x99 to get worse performance in gaming "because you can" ?

You could get MUCH better performance with a 4790k and an extra graphics card.

Costs me 200 to go from Z97 to X99, a 970 is 350 euros. That would break my budget.

I also intend to keep this computer for a long time (5-6 years) and may replace the GPU once. X99 is more "future-ready" (6 corez, more expansion, etc.).

Oh, and i'll be streaming and i don't have a capture card to offload the work to.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Costs me 200 to go from Z97 to X99, a 970 is 350 euros. That would break my budget.

I also intend to keep this computer for a long time (5-6 years) and may replace the GPU once. X99 is more "future-ready" (6 corez, more expansion, etc.).

Oh, and i'll be streaming and i don't have a capture card to offload the work to.

A 4790k is more than enough for editing and streaming, and it performs better than the 5820k in gaming.

6 cores is also not 'future ready'

The new broadwell processors will come to 1150 first, and when broadwell E comes you will need to upgrade your motherboard AND CPU if you want an upgrade.

Also it costs more than $200 to go from z97 to x99 because motherboards, ram, and CPUs are more expensive.

You could also get a 980 instead of a 970 with that $200

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A 4790k is more than enough for editing and streaming, and it performs better than the 5820k in gaming.

6 cores is also not 'future ready'

The new broadwell processors will come to 1150 first, and when broadwell E comes you will need to upgrade your motherboard AND CPU if you want an upgrade.

Also it costs more than $200 to go from z97 to x99 because motherboards, ram, and CPUs are more expensive.

You could also get a 980 instead of a 970 with that $200

4790k does better in games NOW, but its negligble for me as i have a 60hz panel.

I intend on keeping this system for 5-6 years. I am not going to upgrade to broadwell e / skylake e.

In my case, it costs 200 Euros from z97 to X99. Perhaps in the US it's more than 200US$, but here in austria it is 200 euros.

An overclocked 970 = stock 980. I think my build is just fine for what i need it.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4