I Don't get it

Partspicker says this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KZzKNG will need about 500w why include 850w? I'm not trying to criticize I really want to try and understand why.

1. Leaves room for OC

2. It's a high quality PSU

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

No point?

Meh , if he wants to go balls for the walls .. + if money isnt a issue

Meh , if he wants to go balls for the walls .. + if money isnt a issue

Spending money on a not so great experience isn't the best idea.

Partspicker says this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KZzKNG will need about 500w why include 850w? I'm not trying to criticize I really want to try and understand why.

Most PSUs are most efficient at about 40% plus it gives room for upgrades at a later date

is there any chance I would need more than 400w to overclock?

I suggest waiting until you have a basic understanding of all your components before ordering all this. That understanding won't come from the forums really. I would run over to techquickie on youtube and watch a majority of those videos. As far as the psu goes look at the website johnnyguru.com they have great power supply reviews. And even with 2 980's I would be surprised if the system is even capable of needing little more the 600W so this would be perfect....http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=377

Like I said before the evga supernova g2 series is insanely good for the money and a 750 or 850W will be plenty of power for your components and overclocking. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Spending money on a not so great experience isn't the best idea.

How so ? isnt a 980 a good card for 4k ?

How so ? isnt a 980 a good card for 4k ?

If the OP intends to max games out, no. Not at all. Not even close.

I really feel like the OP is an absolute troll

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

If the OP intends to max games out, no. Not at all. Not even close.

I would like to max games out. Is 1080p the best way to ensure I can do that?

No, you can do that with SLI 970s on 1440p. Though you don't have to max out games because there's lot of diminishing returns with higher settings vs the performance you loose and the image quality.

To the best of my knowledge which is non existent, I think some games have a hard time with 2 graphics cards, which is why I think 1 980 is better than 2 sli 980's. Is that correct?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HQMnNG

Personally this is what I think would be best for you. It's an ultra wide screen instead of a 1440p Personally I think the 21:9 aspect ratio of the monitors and ips beat the living hell out of 1440p. The resolution of the ultra wide is 2560x1080p which is a bit higher and more difficult to drive but you could easily max out every game with a single gtx 980. Also instead of a cheapo ssd that won't have any room to have games on you can get a 480gb ssd from intel that will pretty much roll over all the other ssd's except for the samsung pros. I would say get a 500gb 850 pro if you really had money to burn but when compared to the intel it's not a huge gap for performance but is for price. I also CANNOT advise to get a logitech g500...whoever put that is insane. The g502 makes so much more sense and I can't understand why they sell the g500 after holding it just yesterday. I also own the g502 and it's the best mouse I have ever used. The evga super nova g2 is 100 right now at ncix which is like robbing the bank. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Currently my resolution is 1024 x 768 if I were to keep my current monitor for awhile then upgrade to 1080p or 1440p would the 980 more easily max out games. I'm thinking the higher the pixels the lower the quality settings have to be.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HQMnNG

Personally this is what I think would be best for you. It's an ultra wide screen instead of a 1440p Personally I think the 21:9 aspect ratio of the monitors and ips beat the living hell out of 1440p. The resolution of the ultra wide is 2560x1080p which is a bit higher and more difficult to drive but you could easily max out every game with a single gtx 980. Also instead of a cheapo ssd that won't have any room to have games on you can get a 480gb ssd from intel that will pretty much roll over all the other ssd's except for the samsung pros. I would say get a 500gb 850 pro if you really had money to burn but when compared to the intel it's not a huge gap for performance but is for price. I also CANNOT advise to get a logitech g500...whoever put that is insane. The g502 makes so much more sense and I can't understand why they sell the g500 after holding it just yesterday. I also own the g502 and it's the best mouse I have ever used. The evga super nova g2 is 100 right now at ncix which is like robbing the bank. 

Are you talking about drivers, how do you mean more difficult?

Currently my resolution is 1024 x 768 if I were to keep my current monitor for awhile then upgrade to 1080p or 1440p would the 980 more easily max out games. I'm thinking the higher the pixels the lower the quality settings have to be.

A 980 would easily max out any game at 1080p no sweat, as far as my experience goes the only games where I don't have a perfect 60fps locked 100% of the time at 21:9 2560x1080 is shadow of mordor and crysis 3. But I just turn down lighting to high instead of ultra and I get that locked 60. But I am on a overclocked 780ti. As far as 1440p you won't be maxing out games if you want to maintain 60fps rock solid, I can't see you enjoying not have a steady frame rate...because tearing a stutter will occur if you don't.

Are you talking about drivers, how do you mean more difficult?

I mean it taxes the gpu more because it's a 30% bump in resolution. So it's not as hard on the gpu as a 1440p display but more difficult for it to run than 1080p. Sorry, drive just meant how well the gpu could run it.

I like that there are no black bars when watching movies, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time getting a game to run.

I believe that in order to overclock something i have to have a higher psu than partspicker shows, but i dunno how much more.

I do want to watch HD movies on my new computer.

I don't understand why you said lower resolutions than 1080p stands no chance? If I built a computer with these specs http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KZzKNG would the fps be higher on 1080p vs 1440p?

The headroom is only estimation, so you should as users experience with OCing (which some of them have answered)

By "stand no chance", I meant that any resolution from 1080p and below, the 980 will have no problem running them on highest setting. And FPS, just look at the benchmarks, but that should have no problem due to 4GB VRAM (explanation: 1080p and below: 2GB VRAM is enough, 1080p+, depends on games since 1440p+ is becoming more and more common)

Also, the build SeanBond suggested is quite fitting without being overkill and overprice. I'd suggest substitute the CPU for an i5 because it seems like you won't be doing anything that would require an i7.

I like that there are no black bars when watching movies, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time getting a game to run.

You won't have a problem getting the game to run, he was saying that the GPU would be more stressed to run at that resolution (But I expect the 980 would do fine)

But... did you set a budget? Or did I miss it when I read through the thread? Without a budget, anyone can suggest you anything and would still fit one way or another, and they'll be right! Because there's no budget, it's an "All you can have" selection, it makes selecting parts much more difficult due to having unlimited choices. Also, we're just assuming that you'll be Gaming-only (and general stuffs), so what are the purposes of the build?

You won't. I have only had 4 or 5 games in my library not natively support the resolution, I looked up what I could do about it and viola. An app called Flawless Widescreen. It's a tiny program than auto detects all the games on your computer and autofix the resolution. Even allow you to adjust fov in games that don't typically allow. It's also constantly being updated for free.

The headroom is only estimation, so you should as users experience with OCing (which some of them have answered)

By "stand no chance", I meant that any resolution from 1080p and below, the 980 will have no problem running them on highest setting. And FPS, just look at the benchmarks, but that should have no problem due to 4GB VRAM (explanation: 1080p and below: 2GB VRAM is enough, 1080p+, depends on games since 1440p+ is becoming more and more common)

Also, the build SeanBond suggested is quite fitting without being overkill and overprice. I'd suggest substitute the CPU for an i5 because it seems like you won't be doing anything that would require an i7.

You won't have a problem getting the game to run, he was saying that the GPU would be more stressed to run at that resolution (But I expect the 980 would do fine)

But... did you set a budget? Or did I miss it when I read through the thread? Without a budget, anyone can suggest you anything and would still fit one way or another, and they'll be right! Because there's no budget, it's an "All you can have" selection, it makes selecting parts much more difficult due to having unlimited choices. Also, we're just assuming that you'll be Gaming-only (and general stuffs), so what are the purposes of the build?

I believe he meant getting games to run at ultrawide, there is some ho ha bs about it being difficult to run games that don't support the resolution but I literally fixed all my games in less than a minute of searching google. 

I believe he meant getting games to run at ultrawide, there is some ho ha bs about it being difficult to run games that don't support the resolution but I literally fixed all my games in less than a minute of searching google. 

Ah, I see. And indeed it's true, these days it's no problem getting games to run if you ran into that problem, Google is quite a savior (and fast, too)

Lower is always better for the budget, I don't really have a set budget. I don't want to spend $3500 but at least I don't have to worry about consoles ever again. Also 3500 is way better than my starting $8000 build. 

The purpose is mainly just gaming and watching movies. I want it to be a little overkill to be future prepaired.

That is what i was referring to I watched a review saying the wide resolution was difficult for some games to run on without tinkering.

Lower is always better for the budget, I don't really have a set budget. I don't want to spend $3500 but at least I don't have to worry about consoles ever again. Also 3500 is way better than my starting $8000 build. 

The purpose is mainly just gaming and watching movies. I want it to be a little overkill to be future prepaired.

Gaming annnnndddd movies you say? GET DAT ULTRA WIDESCREEN. lol. Really though no black bars and the gaming experience is lovely because you get to see so much more than 16:9. Especially anything first person, it give games a much more natural field of view. Normally you would just set the fov slider in a game higher but you don't need to with 21:9 to get a huge fov. I see more with a 21:9 monitor with fov set to 95 degrees than 16:9 set to 110 degrees. And the higher you set fov you might see more but you also start warping the image and giving it a fisheye effect. also this was the app I was talking about. http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/