I Don't get it

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KM32zy

This is what I think would run games the best. I know it's overkill I want overkill. I want my computer to play games without struggle. I don't understand what graphics card can play what games, I don't know where the line is drawn on what's needed recommended and ridiculous. I want best performance in games possible. Help me to understand why this build is bad because I'm sure it is.

I'm starting to understand Thank You all who helped, this is what i'm considering now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qJ2FYJ

Conclusions for where the "line" is on fantasy and real world, so far.

CPU: Definitely a K something i5 good, i7 overkill

CPU Cooler: Noctua D14, Dark Pro3, and 212 Evo good, Custom water loop overkill

Memory: 8-16GB good, more than 16 zombie prevention

Storage: Price dependent. SSD's are good but pricey,  Mechs are cheaper bulk options.

Video Card: 970 good, 980 overkill, 2 980 needed for 4k

Case: Personal preference based on other factors

Power Supply: Quality is best

Optical Drive: Nearly obsolete

Monitor: 1080 good for maxing out games, 1440 looks better, 4k expensive

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KM32zy

This is what I think would run games the best. I know it's overkill I want overkill. I want my computer to play games without struggle. I don't understand what graphics card can play what games, I don't know where the line is drawn on what's needed recommended and ridiculous. I want best performance in games possible. Help me to understand why this build is bad because I'm sure it is.

Firstly: 5960x for gaming.

Secondly you don't need 64 GB of memory.

Thirdly, the Titan Z, two 780s are faster than a Titan and is much cheaper.

Fourthly: only one SSD? No HDD? That's a really bad idea.

Oh, and if you're spending that much, why the hell are you going to be buying a Hyper 212 evo? At least get a H100i.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Quite an overkill. You could get a Z97 board and CPU and have the same performance in gaming.

64GB of RAM is like double tapping a dead guy without a head... Seriously, even 32GB is overkill for gaming, unless you use it for something else (video rendering, CAD, etc.).

Scratch that Titan Z, because a single 980 will kill it and for that amount of money you can SLI 980s and have 2000$ left.

for just gaming, lemme highlight the "bads"

the processor.

the amount of ram.

the graphics card.

the storage.

first off, unless you're going for a super editing/rendering rig then i understand. but for gaming, this build is WAAAAAAAAY overkill.

what i'd change is:

i5 processor

z97 board

gtx 980

1TB HDD, 250GB SSD

8GB/16GB RAM

boom. done.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Firstly: 5960x for gaming.

Secondly you don't need 64 GB of memory.

Lastly, the Titan Z, two 780s are faster than a Titan and is much cheaper.

Oh, and if you're spending that much, why the hell are you going to be buying a Hyper 212 evo? At least get a H100i.

I don't want to do sli I want 1 good graphics card. Are i5's that much better for gaming then i7's is it like wanting an 18 wheeler to tow a sail boat. Sure it can tow it but so could a little pickup truck. I don't understand what I need to get for a gaming rig. Where is the line for Good, Best, Too much.

Do I have to sugar coat it or can I be blunt?

Be blunt but explain in great detail.

The processor, amount of RAM and the SSD is massive overkill for gaming. Also, never buy a titan GPU for gaming. You can get a lot more performance than that for a lot less money with SLI gtx 980s.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

I don't want to do sli I want 1 good graphics card. Are i5's that much better for gaming then i7's is it like wanting an 18 wheeler to tow a sail boat. Sure it can tow it but so could a little pickup truck. I don't understand what I need to get for a gaming rig. Where is the line for Good, Best, Too much.

I really disagree with you getting a Titan Z, it's just stupid, but it's your money.

Don't go for X99 for gaming, go 1150 and get a 4790k and a nice z97 motherboard.

Get 8-16GB of memory not 64.

Get a 3TB HDD to store games.

There you go, you have saved $1000-2000 on components with the same exact performance.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I really disagree with you getting a Titan Z, it's just stupid, but it's your money.

Don't go for X99 for gaming, go 1150 and get a 4790k and a nice z97 motherboard.

Get 8-16GB of memory not 64.

Get a 3TB HDD to store games.

I don't understand why

Be blunt but explain in great detail.

The build is fucking ridiculous and a waste of money. You don't need any of that for gaming and it was one of the worst choices I've ever seen.

CPU: You will never use 16 threads in this day and age for gaming. Ever. When that time comes around that CPU will be so outdated it won't be funny.

Cooler: You chose a highly expensive build and a cooler that can't cool the CPU. Even if it's highly recommended, it doesn't work on an 8 core monster.

Motherboard: X99 is not for gaming. It never will be. That's a workstation board meant for workstation needs. Not gaming.

RAM: You will never use 64 gigs of RAM in gaming. You want a top of the line gaming system? You only need 16 and that if you multitask. Gaming doesn't use over 8 GB.

Storage: You chose a single drive that's waaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for your needs. It's pointless.

Graphics card: The Titan Z is an over priced piece of junk. You can get better performance for a third of the price with other solutions.

I ca build a better performing computer for about $2-3k.

Get 2 980's instead and save 2 grand and have a faster computer, drop the ram down to 16gb, drop the cpu down to a 5820k 6 core, because that might be the only cpu power you need for the next 8 years with dx12 coming. Get a Evga supernova g2 750W psu because it's almost half as much all the power you will need and the quality stomps on everything else right now. And I am to lazy to do that in pc part picker but it would be a faster better system and almost half as much

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

The build is fucking ridiculous and a waste of money. You don't need any of that for gaming and it was one of the worst choices I've ever seen.

This sentence sums it all up, couldn't of said it better myself. 

I want an ssd really bad to see the load times in games decrease. I could get an H100i if it's that important. It seems like the best should work the best for the longest. My current computer can barely play Terraria I had to buy more ram to make it work from 256mb to 1g. I don't want problems like that for a while.

CPU: You will never use 16 threads in this day and age for gaming. Ever. When that time comes around that CPU will be so outdated it won't be funny.

Cooler: You chose a highly expensive build and a cooler that can't cool the CPU. Even if it's highly recommended, it doesn't work on an 8 core monster.

Motherboard: X99 is not for gaming. It never will be. That's a workstation board meant for workstation needs. Not gaming.

RAM: You will never use 64 gigs of RAM in gaming. You want a top of the line gaming system? You only need 16 and that if you multitask. Gaming doesn't use over 8 GB.

Storage: You chose a single drive that's waaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for your needs. It's pointless.

Graphics card: The Titan Z is an over priced piece of junk. You can get better performance for a third of the price with other solutions.

I ca build a better performing computer for about $2-3k.

Pretty much all this. He is right. I have 8 gigs of ram and I don't even max it out with page filing disabled . The titzan Z is made for workstation computers who only have enough space for one gpu but still need all the power they can get. 2 980's will be much much faster and much much cheaper.  Games usually don't even use more than 2 cores with games right now so having an 8 core is pointless for gaming. And as far as the ssd goes, I would drop it down to a 500gb personally and back it with a 2tb WD Blue or black drive. That should be all the storage you will ever need. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Currently, the best CPU that you should buy for a pure gaming machine is the i7-4790k. Anything above that won't get you any more performance improvements. The Titan Z has a terrible prize/performance ratio and if you really only want a single GPU, get a radeon R9 295x2, which delivers about the same performance for less money. However both the titan Z and the 295x2 are already multiple GPUs in one card, so I don't really see a point in only using one of them. Pretty much no current game uses more than 8 gb of RAM, if you want to be future-proof, take 16. About also won't get any performance improvements from high-frequency RAM, I would use DDR3-1600 instead of 2666. And that SSD is also way overkill as you will get close to the performance for less money and storage speed only affects startup speed, not ingame performance.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

I want an ssd really bad to see the load times in games decrease. I could get an H100i if it's that important. It seems like the best should work the best for the longest. My current computer can barely play Terraria I had to buy more ram to make it work from 256mb to 1g. I don't want problems like that for a while.

You don't need an ssd for lightning fast load times. You'd be throwing hundreds of dollars in to something that gives you a few seconds faster of loading time? It's pointless. This build will outperform what you posted, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It is extremely powerful too. You don't need the highest end stuff to have an enjoyable time, you're just setting yourself up to think you enjoy a bunch of overpriced crap.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($336.74 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($223.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($144.49 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($329.98 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($329.98 @ NCIX US)

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($133.99 @ NCIX US)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($13.50 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($102.98 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($459.99 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($111.99 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse  ($72.78 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $2542.37

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-04 08:23 EDT-0400

Because you can get good performance on a 1440p screen for $5000 less.

It's like shooting a dead guy.. overkill.

You can never be too careful nowadays xD 

You don't need an ssd for lightning fast load times. You'd be throwing hundreds of dollars in to something that gives you a few seconds faster of loading time? It's pointless. This build will outperform what you posted, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It is extremely powerful too. You don't need the highest end stuff to have an enjoyable time, you're just setting yourself up to think you enjoy a bunch of overpriced crap.

Why not a 4k monitor and gtx 980's?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($336.74 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($223.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($144.49 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($82.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($133.99 @ NCIX US)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($13.50 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($102.98 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($459.99 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($111.99 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse  ($72.78 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $2542.37

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-04 08:23 EDT-0400

Exactly this, but if you don't want SLI just go for the 980. This build will work perfectly fine with every upcoming game for a LOOOONG time.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

the reason behind the 64gb of ram was to fill all the slots in the mobo. I think that filling all the slots increases performance is that wrong?

the reason behind the 64gb of ram was to fill all the slots in the mobo. I think that filling all the slots increases performance is that wrong?

You are seriously coming off as a troll

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Filling all RAM slots does indeed increase the total RAM speed, but a higher RAM speed usually doesn't have any effect on performance in games.