Google possibly developing "lego like" screens

bob345

source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/3/6905083/google-developing-displays-that-connect-like-legos-report

Google is developing a new display that can connect with other displays to create one giant screen, according to The Wall Street Journal. The project is the latest that's been reported out of the company's experimental Google X lab, which is responsible for work such as its self-driving car. This obviously sounds far less ambitious, but it still isn't entirely clear what this new tech would be like or how it would work.

Supposedly forming one seamless image

The Journal suggests that these displays will be used to make gigantic TV screens by plugging together smaller ones as though they were Legos. It even says that the image will be seamless — which would mean that Google is making them without any sort of surrounding bezel. The displays can also reportedly be formed into different shapes. Google is also toying with modular technology in its Project Ara smartphones, and one can imagine how this tech could also be applied there.

Mary Lou Jepsen, the co-founder of One Laptop Per Child, is behind this new project, according to the Journal. Google's current challenge, apparently, is in stitching together a single image across the separate screens so that they all work properly in conjunction. That makes it sound like these displays aren't about to leave the lab just yet. And, given that Google X is behind it, perhaps there's still a bigger vision here that we're yet to discover.

So pretty much Google wants to make small screens that can be linked together to form a seamless image. I think this would be really cool. Just imagine the possibilities if something like this is implemented with nvidia surround. The major thing that caught my eye in the article is the the integration between displays will likely be seamless. Just imagine not having to have any bezzel in between your monitors in an eyfinity setup. That would just be amazing.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/3/6905083/google-developing-displays-that-connect-like-legos-report

So pretty much Google wants to make small screens that can be linked together to form a seamless image. I think this would be really cool. Just imagine the possibilities if something like this is implemented with nvidia surround. The major thing that caught my eye in the article is the the integration between displays will likely be seamless. Just imagine not having to have any bezzel in between your monitors in an eyfinity setup. That would just be amazing.

it would be awesome although what bus would they use to connect them and it would have to be standerdised

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

This would be awesome for Project Ara

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

1392516143625.gif

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Google is doing some extremely exciting things lately, although I have to wonder of the applications for the Lego displays.

I asume it would be cool for a bunch of friends with project ara displays to just combine them into a TV or so, but it seems more like a gimmick to me. Maybe I'm missing something though?

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

i want it. i want it now!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Will there be version for each pixel individually? That would be handy for playing on XBox One of you know what I mean.

I want this to be with phones, so if you and your friend want to do something like watch a movie then you could combine the screens to make it bigger. Or you could drag and drop from phone to phone. 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

They already exist but on the enterprise side and the screens are LED screens with tiles that can be swapped really quick. However they have a really low DPI as they are used for large outdoor or indoor screen.

http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Solutions/LED-displays/Indoor-LED-displays

It will be interesting though to see googles attempt.

They already exist but on the enterprise side and the screens are LED screens with tiles that can be swapped really quick. However they have a really low DPI as they are used for large outdoor or indoor screen.

http://www.barco.com/en/Products-Solutions/LED-displays/Indoor-LED-displays

It will be interesting though to see googles attempt.

yeah, led matrix displays are nothing new, but Google is looking at actual high resolution small form factor displays, like lcd panels,  not displays that are meant to be the size of a billboard

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

yeah, led matrix displays are nothing new, but Google is looking at actual high resolution small form factor displays, like lcd panels,  not displays that are meant to be the size of a billboard

I know but the idea isn't new I just meant that. but those led displays are really cool and surprisingly bright they can easily be viewed in direct sunlight and swapping a panel takes like 5 minutes max. Still phone displays will be really hard as they also have to connect up all the pixels and they probably would want the average Joe to be able.

448.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If this was possible and still make money, don't you think Samsung would've already done these.

The difference is, Google doesn't really feel the need to make money right away off of something like this. It's from the same division as their self-driving cars, which I'm pretty sure they haven't sold any of yet.

Of course, that doesn't mean they WON'T make money off this in the future... "Free displays! Any size and aspect ratio you want with no bezels! And we're totally not evil OR collecting all the information that you put on those screens for advertising purposes!"

Hasn't this already been done before (on a billboard/business display)?

Hasn't this already been done before (on a billboard/business display)?

not with small high resolution display's. Bilboard displays are made up of 5000 or so rgb led's per panel so the same tech cant be scaled down very well

not with small high resolution display's. Bilboard displays are made up of 5000 or so rgb led's per panel so the same tech cant be scaled down very well

So we're speaking eyefinity-like setups but on smaller screens?

So we're speaking eyefinity-like setups but on smaller screens?

from what i have read so far, yeah. I would love to see tech like to actually work. A seamless eyefinity setup would be amazing.

from what i have read so far, yeah. I would love to see tech like to actually work. A seamless eyefinity setup would be amazing.

Hopefully AMD will either pitch in or at least not sue...

I've seen some really good displays like those here... They're almost seamless, but the pixels are too big...

Something like that, yes... I imagine that what Google's planning is a miniaturization of something like that...