Why Shadow of Mordor is not as good as Batman

JcGross

I've been playing SoM for a while now, about 10 hours, and I've got to say a few things. First off, a lot of reviewers compare it to the Arkham games which is fair enough. But imo the Arkham games are a lot better. They have better story, better pacing, more variety and better combat. "What do you mean by better combat?" you could ask. It's the little things.

I play SoM with the prompts disabled, the same as I play the Batman games. I like it because it makes the game harder and it demands more focus and skill. But in Batman you can see the enemies much clearer. Their actions are a lot more well defined. In SoM you barely have time to react to some attacks, such as the shielded orcs' attacks, the caragor's pounce or the berserkers's attacks. Not to mention it's impossible to tell when a crossbow wielding orc or a spear throwing one will attack. But this would be the smaller problem.

The bigger problem is the targeting. In Batman it has a sort of intelligent targeting. Which means if I press the analogue stick towards a group of enemies that have an armored guy(=shield orc), a regular guy and a machine gunner the game will automatically realize that I'll probably want to hit the machine gunner because he is the biggest threat to me, and also if I hit the armored guy I'll loose my combo. Similarly if I have a combat takedown(=combat execution) and I press the analogue stick towards that same group of enemies it will probably kill the armored guy because he can't be hit with regular hits. This makes the game very easy to control because the game does what I want it to do, it sort of figures out what I want. In SoM it's a clusterfuck. All the enemies group up on you, it will constantly hit guys that you don't want Talion to hit, it'll execute guys that are on the ground instead of full health enemies or high threat ones like berserkers, it'll execute orcs with intel when I'm clearly pressing the stick in the OPPOSITE direction... I just feel like I'm not in control. It's one thing that it can't predict which orc I want to hit when I press the stick towards 2, 3 or more enemies, but the game will often go the opposite way, it just does whatever it wants to do.

Oh, and I almost forgot that time when I tried to jump on a rope that was spanning a good length to escape a horde of orcs beneath me, but my character would't get on it, instead he jumped off in the middle of the orcs and they killed me.

And that was just the combat part of my rant. The whole game is about killing orcs. It's very slow, very bland, the story has that same high fantasy LotR style (which I find utterly boring). Somehow the brutality doesn't help, it still feels like a fucking fairy tale for kids. Batman has no killing and it manages to feel a lot more mature. SoM has no good characters, they are all just boring archetypes, there's little to no variety in scenery and gameplay... Batman had puzzles, AR gliding training, mini bosses with flashed out stories, lots of gadgets to spice up the game and a fucking awesome soundtrack and sound design.

When I watched Gamespot's video review in the comments I saw that people were hating on Kevin for giving it an 8.0 (Great). Someone actually said it was more of a 9!!! Well I'd give SoM a 7.8. Exactly that number. I don't know why.

Don't get me wrong, it is fun, I've played plenty of worse games that I really enjoyed and I do not regret buying SoM. It's still the best Middle Earth based game, but it's not as good as everyone is saying it is. It has some interesting mechanics in terms of the nemesis system, the stealth can be pretty fun because of it's fluidity and fast pace and planning your moves in the orc politics can be pretty engaging. But it just makes me wish I was playing Arkham City instead.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Mordor can kick batmans ass !

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Blasphemy! :P

Seriously though it is a totally different game. Do you want every game that comes out to be EXACTLY like the ones before it that were good, just with a different skin? The game isn't half assed, buggy, poor quality, shit gameplay. It is something that is pretty good considering what has been released recently. You shouldn't let things slack if they're bad, but you're arguing over such tiny things it's not even good criticism.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

It's just a game.

It's just a game.

And your point is..................

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

And your point is..................

..that it's just a game.

I understand gamers have strong opinions about some games, but here's my two cents: if the game isn't half-assed, it should be something to appreciate with all of these new and overhyped games coming out that don't deliver at all.

How can you compare the two? There both very different concepts

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

" Which means if I press the analogue stick"

Use mouse & keyboard you scrub.

And as Firearm2112 said, they are both different concepts. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

..that it's just a game.

I understand gamers have strong opinions about some games, but here's my two cents: if the game isn't half-assed, it should be something to appreciate with all of these new and overhyped games coming out that don't deliver at all.

Did you even read what I wrote? I just wanted to point out that it's not as good as people say/want it to be. Or at least why I don't think it is. But people tend to excuse it's flaws because it's Middle Earth. Well I don't have that problem because I'm impartial to the LotR universe. Well I guess not "impartial", I don't really like it that much, but whatever, that's besides the point. My main problems are with the mechanics themselves. But just because it isn't perfect that doesn't mean I don't like it at all. As I've said in my OP I like a lot of games that are just average and that's because I take them for what they are. But when there's such a direct comparison between two games like SoM and the Arkham games, and one is much superior than the other I just can't not compare the two. It's like saying I really like hamburgers, this one place has a pretty good one, but the other one is just amazing. Which one will you go to?

Did you even read what I wrote? I just wanted to point out that it's not as good as people say/want it to be. Or at least why I don't think it is. But people tend to excuse it's flaws because it's Middle Earth. Well I don't have that problem because I'm impartial to the LotR universe. Well I guess not "impartial", I don't really like it that much, but whatever, that's besides the point. My main problems are with the mechanics themselves. But just because it isn't perfect that doesn't mean I don't like it at all. As I've said in my OP I like a lot of games that are just average and that's because I take them for what they are. But when there's such a direct comparison between two games like SoM and the Arkham games, and one is much superior than the other I just can't not compare the two. It's like saying I really like hamburgers, this one place has a pretty good one, but the other one is just amazing. Which one will you go to?

I read what you wrote. Your post sounds like you don't like the comparison since there are differences between the games. The names should have been the first hint that they're different. You obviously didn't like some of the small things especially in the combat, which is a valid complaint. However, at the same time, this isn't a Batman game nor an Assassin's Creed game like many others are comparing it to.

Everyone has their tastes in games, so I don't think comparing good/amazing food can be a proper metaphor here when like I pointed out, Shadow of Mordor doesn't look half-assed like a lot of overhyped games are that have been released recently (namely Watch Dogs, which was something I was personally super disappointed about). Yeah it may be nothing but Orc killing, but the same could be said about FPS's where it's nothing but killing humans.

I think the game deserves more credit than a criticism like this since it's not a shitty game from the looks.

Does what I said make sense? Sometimes the point I want to make doesn't come out correctly.

I read what you wrote. Your post sounds like you don't like the comparison since there are differences between the games. The names should have been the first hint that they're different. You obviously didn't like some of the small things especially in the combat, which is a valid complaint. However, at the same time, this isn't a Batman game nor an Assassin's Creed game like many others are comparing it to.

Everyone has their tastes in games, so I don't think comparing good/amazing food can be a proper metaphor here when like I pointed out, Shadow of Mordor doesn't look half-assed like a lot of overhyped games are that have been released recently (namely Watch Dogs, which was something I was personally super disappointed about). Yeah it may be nothing but Orc killing, but the same could be said about FPS's where it's nothing but killing humans.

I think the game deserves more credit than a criticism like this since it's not a shitty game from the looks.

Does what I said make sense? Sometimes the point I want to make doesn't come out correctly.

Yeah, I get what you say, but this isn't a review or anything, and I'm free to criticize aspects that I don't feel are up to par. The thing is, I don't feel very strongly about the game aside from what I wrote. The good aspects are just "good", they are not perfect, not amazing, just good. I don't feel the motivation to talk about what I enjoy about the game because those things are circumstantial and generic (for e.g. I like the graphics style, the animations, the nemesis system, some of the abilities are really cool etc.). I did feel the need to get my point across though which is that the game is lacking in a lot of areas and that Batman does it better. I brought up points, factual arguments to dive my point home. If someone like SoM more that's personal taste. It's enjoyable but not great.

I agree that combat game feel definitely needs some tuning. Try landing a bite while riding a Caragor. It's really frustrating.

But Shadow of Mordor does have some novel elements of strategic gameplay. Branding captains to gain situational advantages in warchief battles doesn't correlate to any game mechanic in Batman. Batman never raised an army. All he does is kick ass and take names.

You say you're 10 hours in, have you unlocked Brand yet?

I'm curious whether your opinion of the game will change once you make it to the second map.

I, for one, appreciated the OP's post. No spoilers, and not an unfocused rant.

I read it, and I'll consider it while I'm playing SoM (which I'm hoping to start soon)

Not sure why smh.

Well I was thinking of getting it, but I hate when things happened like what you mentioned. So I'll just sit hear in my corner and wait for Battlefront 3. Long live the empire!

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

OP is not too controversial, it could have fit into one of the existing threads. Then again, online communities tend to get very polarized on any given subject, probably better to have criticism in a separate thread.
SoM is made by Monolith (most known for F.E.A.R) which sounded like good news to me. Despite some of the talent leaving the studio and forming Blackpowder Games, (Betrayer) there is still some of the FEAR "flavor" recognizable in SoM.

I'll start with the visuals. Last game I played was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter so the bar was set very high and Shadows of Mordor doesn't quite get there. Image quality outdoors is ~on par with the first Crysis, however the poly count is superior, in game characters are miles ahead but where Crysis struggled with indoors environments, Shadows of Mordor sidestepped interiors. Not really fair to a 2007 game and typical file sizes and polygon budgets from that era.

The sound and music were very good, worthy of the LOTR franchise. The name chanting of higher ranked enemies as they arrived to fights was a nice touch.

One does not simply walk into Mordor. First, one borrows combat style from Batman and elements from Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed. Hilarious that flawed parts of these elements weren't left out like leaving the cramped mission area, follow missions and stealth mission instant fails. While they could have made some icons look more different than Ubisoft's property, at least there weren't any eavesdrop missions so far.

I'm a huge FEAR fan, the game had outstanding AI that most titles today still fall behind. Enemies tried to surprise you, they knocked down tables and vending machines to take cover, they ran away if you killed the rest of their squad, etc, etc. While it's clear that part of the AI team left Monolith (AI path finding is bad and attack coordination is non existent, think riding a fully occupied elevator), they still have nice touches here and there. For example, if you battle a enemy with a rank that you fought against earlier, he may have bandages now and he'll "remember" the fight and mention a specific detail. The enemies tend to have conversations about you and I am under the impression the more you level up, the less do they dismiss the threat you pose to them.  Another mechanic that is controversial is the enemy leveling system if you fail to beat them, they level up, becoming even harder to kill. Later in the game you gain ability to issue death threats to them. If you do, they hire bodyguards. While these things alone do not do much, combined they help immersion and makes fighting enemes more personal and the victories more enjoyable. The inner conflict within enemies ranks was also a nice touch and while the ranking system was just OK, it's refreshing to see a new approach.

Overall, I like Shadow of Mordor. To the point that I am savoring the game, playing in shorter session rather than "sprint" through it big strides just to finish it. 

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

I thought batman was ok but got boring very quickly. This game that I just finished actually kept me entertained the entire time.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

well Batman is Better Because .. YOU'RE PLAYING AS THE GODDAMN BATMAN !!  :P 

I'm gonna Get Middle Earth Soon .. but I'm sure it won't be better than the Arkham Games .. The Story , The Settings , The Lore , The Easter Eggs and The Gameplay !

Maybe Its going to be better than Assassin's Creed (I'm sure of it though :D

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2181377&p=39#r768

Can someone Test This,?

"Just a quick note for SLI users who are keen to get both GPU's in play.

The F.E.A.R 3 profile works perfectly well for this game. I'm having both cards work at above 90% and the improvement is massive. It uses the cards very well (no idea why it was not sorted prior to release.... given its such a simple change).

Use NVidia inspector to create a new profile for shadowofmordor.exe (think that was it's name under the games x64 directory) and set the SLi bits to the FEAR3 profile.

With 2x GTX680's I'm now running on high/ultra for most settings at about 60FPS on a 1440p screen.

I use g-sync so can't give a direct opinion on how smooth it will be for most.

From the steam community website:

1)GO to Nvidia Inspector
2) Select Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
3)Than go to Add application to current profile than brower and select Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor.exe.
4) Last and final select Fear 3 on SLI bits Compatibility bits(Dx1x) and than hit apply."

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz