Spotify Launches in Canada

*resists urge to gag*

I'm glad that's what he liked, but christ almighty, I wouldn't drink a glass of buttermilk for a thousand dollars. I used to drink milk a lot until I was around 11, and it just stopped being appealing altogether. Now I drink soy milk, and the rest of my family drinks coconut milk (which I don't like either). Though my dad still does like milk at dinner...

Can't stand veggies? Get out! :P

Nothing is better than asparagus grilled and coated in olive oil, salt, and pepper. God that's crack.

While I generally do hate vegetables besides corn, onions (I am known to take a bite out of a raw onion, something about the flavor, and it is considered a "super vegetable"), potatoes, broccoli, and zuchinni (with squash), I was talking about vegetarians.

Anyone who doesn't like bacon is completely and totally, certifiably insane.

Edit: I don't know how he drank straight buttermilk either, I make buttermilk pancakes and nearly lapse into a coma afterwards, but he was a nose gunner on a b-29 over Europe during WW2 so....insane to begin with.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Congrats Canadians. Now shut the hell up about not having it. ;)

Streaming quality sucks anyway. I'll stick to my lossless files.

The quality isn't even that bad. And I urge you to tell the difference between a good 320 KB/s MP3 and some stupid FLAC file which just wastes an unnecessary amount of space.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

While I generally do hate vegetables besides corn, onions (I am known to take a bite out of a raw onion, something about the flavor, and it is considered a "super vegetable"), potatoes, broccoli, and zuchinni (with squash), I was talking about vegetarians.

Anyone who doesn't like bacon is completely and totally, certifiably insane.

Bacon... it's alright, but I won't eat a ton. If it comes with my breakfast, sure. But I wouldn't exactly pay extra for it at a restaurant.

PSA: POTATOES ARE NOT VEGETABLES

They are a starch, and other than the skin, have basically no nutritional value. Being classified as a vegetable is info from the FDA, which classified FUCKING PIZZA as a vegetable for schools to serve.

I love brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes (starch, but 10000000x better than regular potatoes), asparagus, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots (raw and unpeeled), and spinach most. But I'll eat nearly any.

I have green smoothies every morning, which is like 2/3 a green (spinach, chard, non-iceburg lettuce, so on) and 1/3 fruit. Damn good, and has so much better and long lasting energy and full-feeling effects than coffee or some other shitty thing like sugary cereal or bagels/toast.

Honestly i'm not that excited for this.  There are already a lot of other music streaming services that are just as good if not better in some ways.  I personally use google play music because it allows me to upload my own music that isn't already in their library.  Spotify, other than the desktop app, doesn't offer a tangible benefit to switching especially since it's 2$ more per month

Bacon... it's alright, but I won't eat a ton. If it comes with my breakfast, sure. But I wouldn't exactly pay extra for it at a restaurant.

PSA: POTATOES ARE NOT VEGETABLES

They are a starch, and other than the skin, have basically no nutritional value. Being classified as a vegetable is info from the FDA, which classified FUCKING PIZZA as a vegetable for schools to serve.

I love brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes (starch, but 10000000x better than regular potatoes), asparagus, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots (raw and unpeeled), and spinach most. But I'll eat nearly any.

I have green smoothies every morning, which is like 2/3 a green (spinach, chard, non-iceburg lettuce, so on) and 1/3 fruit. Damn good, and has so much better and long lasting energy and full-feeling effects than coffee or some other shitty thing like sugary cereal or bagels/toast.

F + U, potatoes come from the ground, hence I classify them as a vegetable (the skin, which I eat, has fiber and that's something damnit.)

As for the rest, just....blech, the taste and the texture is just so horrible I fail to understand how one "acquires" it. (pre empting your "its and acquired taste" response)

F + U, potatoes come from the ground, hence I classify them as a vegetable (the skin, which I eat, has fiber and that's something damnit.)

As for the rest, just....blech, the taste and the texture is just so horrible I fail to understand how one "acquires" it. (pre empting your "its and acquired taste" response)

1. So do worms, do you classify them as vegetables?

2. It's how you prepare them; no one goes out and eats handfuls of spinach. You have to be a good cook, and make them in creative ways. Though, a plain salad never hurts. Unless it has iceberg lettuce, aka lettuce with the nutritional value of rubber.

1. So do worms, do you classify them as vegetables?

2. It's how you prepare them; no one goes out and eats handfuls of spinach. You have to be a good cook, and make them in creative ways. Though, a plain salad never hurts. Unless it has iceberg lettuce, aka lettuce with the nutritional value of rubber.

I've had them all prepared by a good chef, still BLECH. I'll take multivitamins any day of the week over that rabbit food lol. I just can't stand the taste and the texture, literally turns my stomach.

I've had them all prepared by a good chef, still BLECH. I'll take multivitamins any day of the week over that rabbit food lol. I just can't stand the taste and the texture, literally turns my stomach.

I feel the same about milk  :lol:

I believe we have reached an impasse.

I feel the same about milk  :lol:

I believe we have reached an impasse.

I believe I can breach that impasse. You ever had Campbells bean with bacon soup? Instead of water, substitute 1 can of milk, and a half of a can of half and half, cook it on low heat, very slowly, stirring, with maybe a pinch of garlic powder and onion powder, until it thickens nicely, soooo delicious.

Edit: It will take a while to cook on low heat, and you need to stir the ever loving shit out of it to begin with, but it's worth it, honestly it's my favorite thing of all time to cook on a cold day, above any and all meats, and I consider myself a meat eater more than anything else

I believe I can breach that impasse. You ever had Campbells bean with bacon soup? Instead of water, substitute 1 can of milk, and a half of a can of half and half, cook it on low heat, very slowly, stirring, with maybe a pinch of garlic powder and onion powder, until it thickens nicely, soooo delicious.

Edit: It will take a while to cook on low heat, and you need to stir the ever loving shit out of it to begin with, but it's worth it, honestly it's my favorite thing of all time to cook on a cold day, above any and all meats, and I consider myself a meat eater more than anything else

You lost me at Campbells... I'm sure it tastes fine, but ugh... Eating like I do, things like Campbells have such extreme and artificial flavors, because I'm used to more natural, less salt-based foods.

Though I do love tomato soup and grilled ham & cheese sandwich.

Or hell, just a cup of hot chicken broth is great.

You lost me at Campbells... I'm sure it tastes fine, but ugh... Eating like I do, things like Campbells have such extreme and artificial flavors, because I'm used to more natural, less salt-based foods.

Though I do love tomato soup and grilled ham & cheese sandwich.

Or hell, just a cup of hot chicken broth is great.

Tomato soup was my next go to, again substitute the water with milk, add a bit of garlic, onion powder, and a TINY amount of basil and it's just delicious.

Still, try the bean w bacon soup, it is to die for if you want something nice and filling and hot on a cold day, if you have to, cook a whole can and only eat a very small serving, it really is that good.

Edit: these are also good when you are sick and have that "cold no matter what you do" feeling, I'm a southerner, we know what's good on a cold day or when you feel bad, healthiness aside.

Streaming quality sucks anyway. I'll stick to my lossless files.

It's 320k for premium users. If you can find someone who can tell the difference between 320k and FLAC in a double blind test then I'll shutup. Until then? Don't complain about 320k. 128k for free users? Not that great... but it's also free and instantaneous. You could go and hunt down a higher quality version but it would require more effort. And yes the artists don't get much money from streaming but they get more than if you torrent it. When a new album comes out? I'll give it a spin on spotify to see if it's worthwhile. For that even 128k is plenty.

The only thing I don't like about the service is that the artist/album/track tagging is sometimes a bit off. Which buggers up scrobbles to last.fm sometimes. Also IMO subs are too expensive for what I want it for to be using it all year but meh. I'll grab 3 months here and there. It's a good service, there's a reason it's as popular as it is.

edit & disclaimer: I do have some FLAC in my library, I'm not some anti-FLAC nazi, I really don't care if you think FLAC is worth the extra space. Especially given how cheap storage is anyway. Just don't whine about how 320k is completely unacceptable.... because it's basically the same. I can't tell the difference and I haven't seen any evidence that anyone can.

Edited by skywake

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

It's 320k for premium users. If you can find someone who can tell the difference between 320k and FLAC in a double blind test then I'll shutup. Until then? Don't complain about 320k. 128k for free users? Not that great... but it's also free and instantaneous. You could go and hunt down a higher quality version but it would require more effort. And yes the artists don't get much money from streaming but they get more than if you torrent it. When a new album comes out? I'll give it a spin on spotify to see if it's worthwhile. For that even 128k is plenty.

The only thing I don't like about the service is that the artist/album/track tagging is sometimes a bit off. Which buggers up scrobbles to last.fm sometimes. Also IMO subs are too expensive for what I want it for to be using it all year but meh. I'll grab 3 months here and there. It's a good service, there's a reason it's as popular as it is.

edit & disclaimer: I do have some FLAC in my library, I'm not some anti-FLAC nazi, I really don't care if you think FLAC is worth the extra space. Especially given how cheap storage is anyway. Just don't whine about how 320k is completely unacceptable.... because it's basically the same. I can't tell the difference and I haven't seen any evidence that anyone can.

I dare you to go on head-fi and utter this statement. If you pirate lossless files, you're most likely getting crap anyway.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I dare you to go on head-fi and utter this statement. If you pirate lossless files, you're most likely getting crap anyway.

I'm shaking in my boots.

Seriously, I was pretty obsessive about music rip quality vs file size back when 128MB mp3 players were a thing. Because you had to be. I couldn't tolerate 64k, 128k was pretty average, 256k was good enough and 320k was as good as the source to my ears. So I only carried around one album with me. I'm willing to accept that with really high end gear and particular types of music there may be a perceivable difference between 320k and lossless. I'm more than ok with people ripping their music in FLAC for their own collection especially in this age of multi-TB HDDs. Even if it's just a psychological placebo-type thing. That's fine. I just think it's pretty snobbish to be running around refusing to listen to 320k because it's "not good enough" for your ears. Particularly when we're talking about a streaming service.

As I said, I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that FLAC is that much better than 320k. And when I listened with my own ears using my own music I can't really tell the difference between 320k and my CDs. On any artist I tried. From The Drones and My Bloody Valentine to Ben Folds and Stereolab. I just can't tell. 256k vs 320k? Barely. 320k vs source? Nope.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

You get a like for the "bagged milk lovers" joke lol.

I still don't get whats up with the bagged milk, seriously.

@Slick @LinusTech, what's up with the bagged milk? can we get that as a topic on WAN show? lol

In eastern canada you can buy milk in 4 to 8 Litre bags or you can be normal people and buy it in a jug. Source? Lived in eastern canada for a year, moved back west.

In eastern canada you can buy milk in 4 to 8 Litre bags or you can be normal people and buy it in a jug. Source? Lived in eastern canada for a year, moved back west.

But..... why a bag? I just don't get that.

But..... why a bag? I just don't get that.

Less plastic waste. It's easier to recycle one of those bags than a plastic or card bottle.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Less plastic waste. It's easier to recycle one of those bags than a plastic or card bottle.

Yes but I can use that plastic jug to store water for emergencies (and I in fact, do, quite useful to have about 50 of them in the shed when the power goes out for 11 days and you can't flush the toilet without manually refilling the tank)

Why wasn't in launched in Canada then? I've been enjoying spotify for quite a few years here

I think it's because in Canada we have laws requiring something like 30% of our media content to be Canadian. Though I'm just guessing

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Yes but I can use that plastic jug to store water for emergencies (and I in fact, do, quite useful to have about 50 of them in the shed when the power goes out for 11 days and you can't flush the toilet without manually refilling the tank)

You can buy Milk jug if you look deeply, or milk in card board style box like juices.

But bags are preferred here for several reasons:

-> Easier and cheaper to ship

-> Easier to carry by the consumer

-> Easier to use, as you have 3bags of 1.33L each, so you don't need to lift 4L at a time every time you are using it.

-> As they are bags, you can store them anywhere on the fridge practically, and you only use 1 bag a time (with a milk jug. Those are fairly slim to doesn't take space)

-> The opening that you do on the bag of milk is too small to cause any freshness loss concern (assuming you drink milk often, and not once a month a cup, type of thing). And that allows you to remain your milk fresher. (Usually bag of milk are purchased by large family or if you drink a lot of milk), else the small carton box are usually used.

-> Uses less plastic

-> The plastic bags can be cleaned, cut and re-used for other purses, such as a sandwich bag, if you are a environmentalist person.

Been using it for a few months while it was in beta, wasn't aware it's not in beta anymore. It's great I love it, it just needs chromecast support.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD