Which coding language do you use?

ZaBoss

JavaScript and Java

May I ask how come you use those two? What kind of applications do you use either of them for.

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.

I myself use Python, however I am still taking lessons.

I personally use both Java and C#, but mostly C# at the moment, as I'm faffing around in Unity in my spare time.

C++, because that's what you use to write games.

You can also use C#, and Java (Although, I would stay away from using Java to write a game, too heavy on CPU)

Java as goto, but but if you know a couple of languages you can almost code in anything (except for assembler and brainfuck :P). I also love the "low levelness" of assembler but its very impractical to use in a lot of cases.

I believe Assembly is also very hardware dependent, so a program on one machine is not guaranteed to work on other hardware. I could be very wrong though, I've only very briefly touched on Assembly

C++ mostly at work, plus Python and a little bit of batch for scripting.

depending on the project it varies from labview (G) wich icurrently use over C#,Java,XML,SQL of course and HTML,CSS and Javascript if shit gets really freaking boring but mostly C# as was my main language when i studied and is still my favorite even though i start liking G also 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I believe Assembly is also very hardware dependent, so a program on one machine is not guaranteed to work on other hardware. I could be very wrong though, I've only very briefly touched on Assembly

Thats kindof true, its dependent on the architecture your CPU is based on but nowdays most cpu's in desk and laptops are AMD64(/x86 based). 

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

I know and used the ff to some extent:

C, PHP, Ren'Py (Python derivative), Python, and JavaScript

Hmmmmm.... What coding languages do I not use.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Java as goto, but but if you know a couple of languages you can almost code in anything (except for assembler and brainfuck :P). I also love the "low levelness" of assembler but its very impractical to use in a lot of cases.

I've had 6 modules of assembly and another next semester I reckon I'm just going to hang myself its the most useless and temperamental language I've ever had to use my program works on one board switch to another and got to troubleshoot so much I might as well start from scratch my professors argument that you have very little memory to work with all I can think of is if the world stopped being so cheap and spent that extra little bit so I could have a bit more storage I wouldn't need this crap.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I've had 6 modules of assembly and another next semester I reckon I'm just going to hang myself its the most useless and temperamental language I've ever had to use my program works on one board switch to another and got to troubleshoot so much I might as well start from scratch my professors argument that you have very little memory to work with all I can think of is if the world stopped being so cheap and spent that extra little bit so I could have a bit more storage I wouldn't need this crap.

Semi true, altough it is not all about the cost. It is much more about power efficiency... That might not be part of your interest now. But if I tell you that the total CO2 emission "caused" by people watching the gangamstyle video (because it requires the decoding and all) is equivalent to 80.000 cars driving 24/7 for a full year. (that is a true fact by the way). Imagine if the software was 5% or even 10% more efficient....

Also moore's law is going to end some day and that day is getting closer and closer. From that day we cannot just increase recources as easy and we need to find other solutions to make our computing capacity bigger. 

I might be rambling a bit now, and I don't want to convince you how great assembler is and everyone should start using it, no ofcourse not... But just realise how important it is for computing in general..

Oh some parts of games are still written in assembler nowdays ;)

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

I use Python and am trying to learn Haskell and C. Loving Haskell so far and hating C.

#HASKELLMASTERRACE

Depends on the job. For small stuff I often use BASH, for larger

stuff my main multi-purpose language these days is Perl. When a

compiled language is called for, I prefer C since it's both a

pretty simple language and yet still very powerful. When necessary,

I also use C++, but I tend to avoid it if possible. I avoid Java

whenever I can, but sometimes there is sadly no way around it.

Oh, and PHP for web stuff usually. It's not what I'd call a great

language from a conceptual point of view, but it allows quick

results without too much hassle, which is often more important

than coding purity/philosophy etc.

On my to-learn list I currently have FORTRAN, Haskell, Go and

Python. I have one big personal project on my TODO list in the

foreseeable future, but I haven't yet decided what language to

use for that. It'll likely need a GUI, and it'll need to be

cross-platform, so a big part of my decision will end up being

based on how easy/difficult it is to achieve the desired result

with whatever technology I end up chosing. Much more research

is required before being able to make an informed decision though.

C'mon @alpenwasser? Perl? Really? What is this, 2004? :P

I only use trendy hipster languages like node.js, Python, Scala, Clojure, Haskell, Go, Rust...Dart. Call me superficial but I like trying all the latest stuff :D

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I have used Jave, JS, PHP, MYSQL, C++, C#, Bash, VB/VBA, MATLAB, Maple, probably some other random program specific languages,  but I only regularily use PHP, MYSQL & bash.

Need to get my hands dirty with some of the other older languages though. 

When I first started programming, I used Pascal because it's pretty easy for programmers since it has easy phrases. About a year later, I learned C and eventually C++ and C# at school and I think that those are straight forward, easy to use. Sometimes now I even use Java to code for games in Unity, but I like C# more :D

When I first started programming, I used Pascal because it's pretty easy for programmers since it has easy phrases. About a year later, I learned C and eventually C++ and C# at school and I think that those are straight forward, easy to use. Sometimes now I even use Java to code for games in Unity, but I like C# more :D

Hehe Pascal. One of the very first companies I worked for relied on this heavily.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I know a decent amount of HTML, a tiny bit of CSS, a lot of Small Basic (really shit), and literally a minute amount of Python.

#HASKELLMASTERRACE

So you're saying Haskell is worth looking into? I have been feeling

the itch to do a Haskell project for a while, but haven't really had

the time to properly acquaint myself with the language.

C'mon @alpenwasser? Perl? Really? What is this, 2004? :P

Haha, yeah, funny story actually (well, sort of). I originally started

looking into Perl for sysadmin purposes (Linux/UNIX guy), and I noticed

that I rather liked it. At around the same time I had the idea to start

developing a file organising tool, so I did that in Perl as well. And the

more I worked with it, the more I started to really like it. Not really

because of any objective reason of superiority, but it somehow just

clicked with me, so to speak (hence why the 10 TB+ sorting and stats

script is in Perl ;)).

I also still have a very interesting book to work through about functional

programming in Perl. Not really sure how great of an idea it is, but I'm

just somehow drawn to the language. Probably because you can do all kinds

of really unreasonable stuff with it, sort of like C (which I also really

like). :D

I only use trendy hipster languages like node.js, Python, Scala, Clojure, Haskell, Go, Rust...Dart. Call me superficial but I like trying all the latest stuff :D

My primary problem with learning new languages at the moment is that I

just don't really have the time. But in the long run, there shall me

more added to my repertoire I'm sure. ;)

I have used Jave, JS, PHP, MYSQL, C++, C#, Bash, VB/VBA, MATLAB, Maple, probably some other random program specific languages,  but I only regularily use PHP, MYSQL & bash.

Need to get my hands dirty with some of the other older languages though.

Oh, right I forgot about Matlab and Mathematica, kinda need to use those

for college actually. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

So you're saying Haskell is worth looking into? I have been feeling

the itch to do a Haskell project for a while, but haven't really had

the time to properly acquaint myself with the language.

Haha, yeah, funny story actually (well, sort of). I originally started

looking into Perl for sysadmin purposes (Linux/UNIX guy), and I noticed

that I rather liked it. At around the same time I had the idea to start

developing a file organising tool, so I did that in Perl as well. And the

more I worked with it, the more I started to really like it. Not really

because of any objective reason of superiority, but it somehow just

clicked with me, so to speak (hence why the 10 TB+ sorting and stats

script is in Perl ;)).

I also still have a very interesting book to work through about functional

programming in Perl. Not really sure how great of an idea it is, but I'm

just somehow drawn to the language. Probably because you can do all kinds

of really unreasonable stuff with it, sort of like C (which I also really

like). :D

My primary problem with learning new languages at the moment is that I

just don't really have the time. But in the long run, there shall me

more added to my repertoire I'm sure. ;)

Oh yeah Haskell is the future of programming. The future is functional. Haskell is a bit steep to jump right into because it's pure functional and that's really difficult to get adjusted to when you're used to dynamic types and mutability. Haskell is so strongly typed you'll be yelling at the compiler :P 

I don't have any philosophical exception to Perl really...actually that's a lie but it just seems to me when you have stuff like Python and Ruby that Perl is just a mess. I admire the effort to create such a "natural" programming language but suffice it to say I don't think it was a particularly good idea to start off with and I don't think it's really aged well either.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Hehe Pascal. One of the very first companies I worked for relied on this heavily.

Really? They actually use Pascal in companies? How cool :D

Oh yeah Haskell is the future of programming. The future is functional. Haskell is a bit steep to jump right into because it's pure functional and that's really difficult to get adjusted to when you're used to dynamic types and mutability. Haskell is so strongly typed you'll be yelling at the compiler :P

Excellent to know, I shall delve into it when I have some time and

motivation then, maybe the difficulties you mention might be an excuse

to first look at functional programming in Perl, since it's apparently

quite powerful in that area while probably not being as finicky as

Haskell.

I don't have any philosophical exception to Perl really...actually that's a lie but it just seems to me when you have stuff like Python and Ruby that Perl is just a mess. I admire the effort to create such a "natural" programming language but suffice it to say I don't think it was a particularly good idea to start off with and I don't think it's really aged well either.

Well, for me personally, since there's quite some similarities between

Perl and C (for example, references act rather like pointers, which

I find pretty awesome, although it might scare many people :D ), and I

like C a lot, I just might have a natural inbuilt weakness for Perl.

Python is definitely on my todo list; so I suppose I'll see which one of

the two I prefer when I start getting into it more seriously. Whether I

like it or not, it's a language which one ought to know anyway these days.

As for Ruby, I'm not really sure how fond I'd be of that one to be

honest. I know a lot of people seem to be really into it, but from what

I've been shown so far... not sure yet.

Anyway, as said, my attachment to Perl probably primarily stems from my

attachment to C and Perl's philosophy, both of which are admittedly just

personal preference and not really any objective reasons of superiority.

Probably quite a few of Perl's idiosyncrasies which make other people

dislike it are what attract me to it (same with C really).

In any case, I wish Perl6 would finally come around, I'm really curious

to see what that'll bring. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Well, for me personally, since there's quite some similarities between

Perl and C (for example, references act rather like pointers, which

I find pretty awesome, although it might scare many people :D ), and I

like C a lot, I just might have a natural inbuilt weakness for Perl.

Python is definitely on my todo list; so I suppose I'll see which one of

the two I prefer when I start getting into it more seriously. Whether I

like it or not, it's a language which one ought to know anyway these days.

As for Ruby, I'm not really sure how fond I'd be of that one to be

honest. I know a lot of people seem to be really into it, but from what

I've been shown so far... not sure yet.

Anyway, as said, my attachment to Perl probably primarily stems from my

attachment to C and Perl's philosophy, both of which are admittedly just

personal preference and not really any objective reasons of superiority.

Probably quite a few of Perl's idiosyncrasies which make other people

dislike it are what attract me to it (same with C really).

Ruby is a great language in my opinion. (what that counts for is up to you) Duck typing should exist everywhere. 

If you're not ready for pure functional you could start with Racket or Common LISP, or maybe Clojure/Scala. Those aren't as strict as Haskell is.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Hello!

I use Javascript, C# and Transact Sql .But only for business purposes. Also with Unity.

Personally i love C++.

I have used Java, but idk, im not as efficient with it, I dont know why, its just the way it is. I need events and stuff i have in C# like Pointers, delegates, nice IDE. (Please dont start war after this comment, its just my opinion.

Python is nice. I like it.

I really recommend you (and all starting in this area) to master C++ , then learn a bit of Java, C#. Some javascrpt is always good. And that will ensure you good and stable carreer.!

In my experience , going with Python, Ruby, and so on wil get you money if you are good at it, BUT, wont ensure you a stable lifestile.

If your C++ and low level programming gets really REALLY good, you are gonna have a  GOOD TIME! You can always count good C++/ASM programmers with one hand.  (wish i were one of those :( )

return 0;

EDIT: Now reading all the responses, ill write also other langs that ive used:

Atari Basic, QuickBasic, C, D, F#  (haha wrote it in that order on purspose), VB.Net, Php (omg yea i admit it), Delphi/Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Visual FoxPro, Tried BrainFuck once, Assembler.

JCA

When I first started programming, I began with Visual Basic 6.0. Back then, it was easy enough, and I could quickly do what I wanted. Then, there was a period of time (a few years) during which I didn't write any (well, not that much atleast) code, since I was more interested in designing logic circuits.

But then, I got back to programming. I started learning Python (which I do not like to write), Bash scripting, some very basic Perl (very. basic.) and, of course, the sed and awk tools. Later (well not that much later), I started learning C++. In the beginning it seemed to be the best language ever, but once I was, in a way, forced to use for example templates, STL this and STL that and do all that crazy C++ magic to get things working, I found myself looking at the good old C. I grew apart from C++, and now my C/C++ is a hybrid: from C++ I use pretty much only classes, and the rest of C++ I just don't use anymore.

I think that keeping away from code duplication is a good thing; that is what C++ templates are for. But when it causes too much trouble or makes the final product less powerful and/or makes the code harder to read, I think that it still is better to write specialized functions instead of generic ones.

So now my main language is, without doubt, C. The goal of my current project pile is to take code and circuits together, to build a self-designed logic circuit that could be programmed (a computer out of 74' TTL, why not?). So for that, I need a bunch of tools, for which I plan to use C. I have a sketch of the assembly language getting together already, and so is its assembler. I'll probably (one day in the future..) port a C compiler for it, too.

Okay, back to the topic. What languages do I use? I have used (used, not just derped around with):

• VB (Liked it back then, hated it later on)
  • Python (I don't like it, but it is handy here and there)
  • Bash (Oh god yes please! And gimme sed and awk too!)
  • Java (No thanks,  for real programming I want something that has pointers)
  • C++ (Classes - yeah, the rest - no thank you)
  • C (Best language ever!)
  • Assembly (Intel syntax mainly, some AT&T too)
  • HTML 
  • CSS
  • XML
  • JS

And as others have done, the languages I'd like to learn are Perl (yeah, not kidding!), Ruby, Lisp and Haskell. Haskell really seems to be a nice (new kind of a) language, it for sure is powerful in mathematical/scientific applications, not sure about 'normal' applications, though.. Haskell accompanied with C/C++ would be a killer, in my opinion. But what am I to say, since I can't (yet) write it fluently.

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland