Razver -- My server build

Razbit

Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about building a real server (NFS/samba, owncloud, git, apache, FTP) for a while. Before I was running a virtual server on my desktop on Ubuntu, but that wasn't that clever or usable..

So, the other day I found a used Asus E45M1-M Pro motherboard/APU combo for 40 euros, so I bought it. Accompanied with 4 gigs of RAM, a spare SSD, an old PSU and the 2TB harddisk from the Redefine, the build cost about 70 euros.. Not bad.

I wanted to put the server into my closet so it would be out of sight. Therefore, the assembly is a bit ghetto-ish, but hey, its quiet and cool and it works → deal with it ;)

Alright, photos.

assembly.jpg.6f76ab6631f4537bc1e886b961bc7440.jpg

assembly2.jpg.02a2c4a9782d7cad7b7235d70b04041d.jpg

ssd.jpg.15776b37ae33e36a48033389ca78692b.jpg

The above is the SSD. It was.. Uhm.. so well screwed in to the SSD slot in the back of the Redefine's mobo tray that I had to.. Well.. Remove its casing (I didn't want to remove the mobo, because then I would've had to empty & reassembly the cooling loop and all that sh1t..). BUT it still works!

Onward!

inplace.jpg.53e19c291fc5b6d51e8646118d267c3c.jpg

inplace2.jpg.98b75f7723039ac2b14b2bf4e7af9e99.jpg

As some of you may have reckoned already, the mobo (and everything else) hangs from the shelf.

JokuTyyppi helped me again, so thanks bro!

Down there is my gigabit switch, made by TP-LINK. It cost 17 euros (new) and gives me ~90MBps in the LAN, which is pretty well for such a minimum-budget system. Currently I have a 4G LTE Internet connection, so my U/D is at about 40/80 Mbps -> good enough ;)

The system is running the latest stable Debian and has NFS, owncloud and therefore Apache working for now. I only have the 120G ssd and the 2TB harddisk, so no backup system yet (gonna have one in the future, though).

Thanks for reading, sorry about such a tiny post :)

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland

nice, only thing i can think thats wrong is your running it at the top of the cupboard were the heat will rise to and no ventilation apart from that looks sweet. 

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

nice, only thing i can think thats wrong is your running it at the top of the cupboard were the heat will rise to and no ventilation apart from that looks sweet. 

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but as it seems, the temps are really low. the heat sink doesn't get hot at all, a bit warm sometimes, maybe at about 40 degrees Celsius..

Thanks guys!

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

See my GitHub profile!

• 5 months later...

Just a small heads-up: I added a 1TB disk to the server, moved everything there, wrote a shell script for backing up everything to the 2TB disk (based on rsync). Works like charm now!

Oh, and all of my Steam games are there too, they work pretty nice with the ~100MBps in the LAN, but Origin doesn't seem to work with a network share, don't know why. SO, no I have just a 240GB SSD in my computer, so AHH, SILENCE.

See my GitHub profile!

That's a nice server.. BUT the problem is CABLE MANAGEMENT.... :D :D :D  

***[_CaBzkInG_Tech_Solutions_]***

That's a nice server.. BUT the problem is CABLE MANAGEMENT.... :D :D :D  

WHY CABLE MANAGEMENT IS A PROBLEM WHEN IT DOES NOT MATTER

Please try to use normal sized letters we do get your point

Anyway, he does not need to have extremely tidy cable management, because there is not too much heat, it does not block or obstruct anything

Hehehe... just adding some TIPS  so that... the server looks PERFECT.... :D

***[_CaBzkInG_Tech_Solutions_]***

you just inspired me :P my next build will be mounted upside down!!!! you are a genius  

CPU:  i7 5820k  @4.0Ghz Cooler: Thermaltake Nic C5 Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS  Ram: 8 gb @2133Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @1560  Case: Proprietary Sun Ultra 24  Storage: HyperX 120gb & 1 TB WD Green PSU: Cooler Master 550w 

• 2 weeks later...

WHY CABLE MANAGEMENT IS A PROBLEM WHEN IT DOES NOT MATTER

Please try to use normal sized letters we do get your point

Anyway, he does not need to have extremely tidy cable management, because there is not too much heat, it does not block or obstruct anything

Comic Sans pls no :D

you just inspired me :P my next build will be mounted upside down!!!! you are a genius  

Thank you!

And yes, cable management doesn't really matter, but it hurts me to see it not tidy..

See my GitHub profile!