Which coding language do you use?

ZaBoss

Java (No thanks,  for real programming I want something that has pointers)

Hmm? Java does have pointers. The infamous NullPointerException is the proof of this.

Hmm? Java does have pointers. The infamous NullPointerException is the proof of this.

What I mean is the C-like powerful pointers, not the poniter-ish Java References. This comes from my low-level way to think; I want to be in control of the memory rather than let a VM decide.

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland

What I mean is the C-like powerful pointers, not the poniter-ish Java References. This comes from my low-level way to think; I want to be in control of the memory rather than let a VM decide.

I guess it depends on what you're doing, but memory management can be a real pain in the ass.

I guess it depends on what you're doing, but memory management can be a real pain in the ass.

Yup, you're right about that. Which is why I like to do it myself, so that if (when) a bug is found, I know that it is something I can fix :)

And as you see in my original post, I mainly write low-level code instead of say, for example, GUI code. And in the low-level world C is the only real option in my opinion..

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

See my GitHub profile!

Yup, you're right about that. Which is why I like to do it myself, so that if (when) a bug is found, I know that it is something I can fix :)

And as you see in my original post, I mainly write low-level code instead of say, for example, GUI code. And in the low-level world C is the only real option in my opinion..

Yeah for low-level, it's either C or assembly. I do mostly high-level stuff, like Javascript and PHP for web pages, and Java for Android. However, there was at one point I did C++ programming for a video game.

Ruby is a great language in my opinion. (what that counts for is up to you) Duck typing should exist everywhere. 

And now you can even program your robots with http://artoo.io with ease. This is something I would like to try. Mruby is getting it to be usable in a lot of new areas. 

And now you can even program your robots with http://artoo.io with ease. This is something I would like to try. Mruby is getting it to be usable in a lot of new areas. 

Cool! Hadn't heard of this yet!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If i can find a way to send serial data through a com port i will be using C* else i will be using python.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

If i can find a way to send serial data through a com port i will be using C* else i will be using python..

In Linux you could just write to the serial port in /dev using fputc() AFAIK, this works at least with parallel ports. If you are using windows, then no clue :D Maybe using X86-specific inline-assembly, writing to addresses 0x3F8 - 0x3FF (using the mov or out instructions, maybe?)

See my GitHub profile!

The coding language I use depends on what I'm doing. But, I'm learning more on C++, Java, and Python.

My school teaches JS, but I don't really care to know it considering I can't make reall apps with it. I'm currently working in C# at home, and will probably start trying to use C++ soon. The Idea of me starting with C# last summer is that I wanted to learn the C syntax and basics first in C#, and be in an easier-to-use language so I could work on actual programs right away.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I program mostly in Java and C#, but dabble in a bit of HTML, CSS, & tiny amount of JavaScript and PHP stuff. (Funny how I use both sides of the fight..) I use Java and C# mostly for web applications, but still do some occasional desktop work. (I also make games and stuff in my free time in C# with XNA & Monogame)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society