High FPS but lag

Christof1st

Hello there! I really need some help!!

I recently upgraded my pc with a new set of ram sticks, a new gpu and a new ssd. My problem is that when i play games like NFS Rivals and BF4 i get good fps but the game seems laggy. It seems as some frames get skipped and not projected on the screen. This happens on any resolution and with fps ranging from 45-180(low-ultra setting). Can anyone tell my what is going on? At first i thought that my cpu might be bottlenecking but at NFS its usage is aroung 50%. Please HELP!!! :S

My PC:

Intel i3 3240 3.4GHz (LGA1155)

Asus R9 270X 2GB

Kingston Hyper X FURY 1600MHz 2x4Gb

Coolermaster B500 (500W)

Gigabyte B75-D3V

KIngston Hyper X SSD 120GB

Splash some water on it, might be overheating. No but seriously you need to try and explain the problem better if you want a solution.

Is vsync on? Turn it off.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Are you sure nothing is running in the background that may be interfering (Malware etc...)

It could also be EA and their game code... :P

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

But the cpu usage on NFS RIvals is at 50% and adding to that, the game is locked at 30fps and when i turn down the graphics i get no improvement....

Strange... I used to play the Sims 3 on my PC and it ran at a high FPS, but it froze and lagged every now and then.

Make sure all your drivers are up to date, especially your Graphics drivers, they include fixes for games most of the time.

Maybe try reinstalling the game?

Also check your HDD usage during gameplay especially when it freezes, it could be trying to load textures that the HDD cannot supply fast enough, how much RAM do you have?

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

Im using VGA (with a VGA adaptor as the GPU does not have a VGA port)

I have 8Gb of RAM and the game is saved on the SSD so i dont think that the loading of the textures is really an issue.

Have you tried running Memtest 86? Also run CHKDSK and see if it finds any errors.

If you can't find anything, try putting your old GPU in and see if it still lags.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

check your refresh rate to see if it has change to 30Hz BTW is it lag spikes or in game lag 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

how do i set my refresh rate?

It appears like some frames get skipped during gameplay ( the AVG FPS are high but those frames that get skipped are pretty noticeable, i'll try to record and post a video so you can see what am i talking about)

It appears like some frames get skipped during gameplay ( the AVG FPS are high but those frames that get skipped are pretty noticeable, i'll try to record and post a video so you can see what am i talking about)

can you monitor GPU load...CPU load won't mean anyting.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

MSI afterburner, ASUS GPU Tweak are good. Most common is MSI Afterburner though.

Also, your CPU @ 50% doesn't mean it's not bottlenecking.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Do u know any good programs for doing that? (monitoring GPU load)

Quick tutorial on how to get GPÜ load on screen while playing (Make sure VSYNC is turned OFF while you do that)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1179988/guide-on-screen-gpu-usage-via-msi-afterburner

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I doubt it's GPU. Try checking all resource usages from task manager when the problem happens. I mean all resources - CPU, Memory, Hard Disk, and Network