My 980 idles at 48-50c

robthatguy

Just added the side panel fans, booted up for the first time today (ambient temp of 32c) and i'm idling at 51c. My machine has been off for like 12 hours and that's the first temperature reading it's giving me....

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5GHz  -  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980  -  RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator

Storage: 120GB OCZ Vertex 4, 1TB Western Digital Black, 2TB Wetsern Digital Green

PSU: Corsair Gold AX 850W  -  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2 SP in push)  -  Case: Coolermaster Storm Trooper

I would restart after unplugging the second monitor, especially if you are running the newest version of precisionX16. The overvolting is broken as well as multimonitor support being finicky.

I read somewhere else the overvolting was broken. Do you know the specifics?
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I'm reading all over people are having issues with idle temps,How would we contact Nvidia to see if they are aware of the problem? I have the Zotac reference cooler model. Im gonna send Zotac's support an email and see if there's a response from them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500358&cm_re=gtx_980-_-14-500-358-_-Product

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                                      RAM: 16gb kington hyperx predator                                                               Drives: 120GB kingston hyperx,1tb westerdigital caviar greeen

Motherboard: Asus Maximus hero vIII                  Graphics Card: geforce Titan xp                                                                                                                                     PSU:XFX 850w pro

Case: Coolermaster HafX                                     CPU Cooler:Undervolted sp120 pushpull H100i                   Deathadder black edition-filco majestouch ninja 2             Monitor:    3xAcer H236HL 

Would anyone be able to test the validity of the temp sensor in those cards? Maybe a faulty seonsor in those batches?

Now is this a driver problem or hardware problem..

post-20762-0-05783700-1411897239_thumb.p

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                                      RAM: 16gb kington hyperx predator                                                               Drives: 120GB kingston hyperx,1tb westerdigital caviar greeen

Motherboard: Asus Maximus hero vIII                  Graphics Card: geforce Titan xp                                                                                                                                     PSU:XFX 850w pro

Case: Coolermaster HafX                                     CPU Cooler:Undervolted sp120 pushpull H100i                   Deathadder black edition-filco majestouch ninja 2             Monitor:    3xAcer H236HL 

DOING NOTHING AT ALL. apparently I'm pinned at 1126mhz 0 usuage . BUT at 100% load I'm throttling WTF NVIDIA

post-20762-0-12631300-1411899204_thumb.p

post-20762-0-68425800-1411899284_thumb.p

I read somewhere else the overvolting was broken. Do you know the specifics?

There are some people who precisionX16 ignores overvolting settings, and others where their cards will be permanently pinned at the max voltages. Perhaps something similar is happening with MSI afterburner.

There are some people who precisionX16 ignores overvolting settings, and others where their cards will be permanently pinned at the max voltages. Perhaps something similar is happening with MSI afterburner.

Mine overvolts to 1.25v which it is locked at.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

First Warning sign is the high temp on idle.

Second is the higher than normal voltage.

Which would lead me to instantly changing drivers.,......Re-install your drivers if its doing stupid crap with your clocks.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Try turning off shadowplay, it worked for my 770...only turn it on when you need it(while gaming)

Try turning off shadowplay, it worked for my 770

Did your 770 have the already present issue of higher than normal voltage and sticking with its high clocks..?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Did your 770 have the already present issue of higher than normal voltage and sticking with its high clocks..?

Yes it did...I didnt need to change any drivers or anything...all I had to do is turn off shadowplay

Well I already had shadowplay off and also tried reinstalling drivers once but I installed the 344.16.I'll try the 344.11 right now.

No difference at all I think I might rma my card..

I think it's driver problem, wait for another driver release and see if heat problem solves.

Case: CM Storm Scout2<>CPU: i7 3770K<>Cooler: Thermaltake NIC C5<>GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970) Sound: Sound Blaster Z<>MB: Asrock Z68 Gen3<>RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X4 2133mhz<>SSD: Crucial M500 240GB<>HDD: Segate Barracuda 2TB 16mb<>PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750B Modular 61A

Well it needs to be in the next 10 days or I wont have time to rma because I live in the middle of no where..

What is everyone talking about lmao. The temp is normal. Its using ref. And who ever said a second monitor is causing that is just stupid lmao

But looking at the print screens you are doing fine dude. The guys that are like "dual monitor makes 980 run hotter" are just trolls or stupid.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

I don't really classify running with high idle voltage and 15C hotter idle temps as normal behavior for a card..nor do I think running at max clock speeds with 1% gpu usage as normal either.

I'm just rma'ing the card its a load of crap I payed for overnight air shipping to get a dud card.

I'm just rma'ing the card its a load of crap I payed for overnight air shipping to get a dud card.

Not sure if this is going to matter to you anymore but I found a fix for the issue, I had the exact same issue being pinned at max clock speed with 1% GPU usage.

If you install an older driver from before the 980 was released (all driver installs were a clean install) and then install driver 344.11 core clock speed will drop to 135MHz for idle and memory clock will drop to 162MHz. My GPU now runs at 38c at idle with ambient room temperature of 32c, the GPU temperature is down from 48c - 50c at idle. Once 344.11 was installed I then went back to 344.16 and all clock speeds and temps are down still, the clock do still speed up when required so I think it is all working fine now.

If you have already rma'd your card then I hope this post will help some others who may be having the exact same issue :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5GHz  -  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980  -  RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator

Storage: 120GB OCZ Vertex 4, 1TB Western Digital Black, 2TB Wetsern Digital Green

PSU: Corsair Gold AX 850W  -  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2 SP in push)  -  Case: Coolermaster Storm Trooper

Do you have Shadowplay enabled with Desktop recording? I had this problem with my GTX 760, it always stayed in 3d mode...

Well,as of right now my card is sitting 30 minutes from Neweggs rma department a day late and none in stock and from what I was told I wont be refunded my shipping I paid and they are probably going to try to give me a refund on a nonrefundable product(The card is under neweggs vga replacement policy so they either send one of the same price or lower),with all 980s being inflated now because of supply and demand I won't be able to get one if that's the case and ill be out 70$ in shipping.Last time I order from newegg.I was on support and when they knew I was right about a non refundable product they just closed session.

Please excuse the grammar on the chat screenshot I was a bit angry.

post-20762-0-14537800-1412493551_thumb.p

If you have "Titan Cooler" on your GPU its normal to go up to 65-75 Degrees Celsius under full load

I recently updated to Gtx 780oc + with the Titan Cooler and the temperatures are crazy compared to my old r9 270 from Gigabyte with 3 Fans on it.

Check for Damage on the Heatsink Cooler or make sure its sitting properly on your GPU

If you have "Titan Cooler" on your GPU its normal to go up to 65-75 Degrees Celsius under full load

I recently updated to Gtx 780oc + with the Titan Cooler and the temperatures are crazy compared to my old r9 270 from Gigabyte with 3 Fans on it.

Check for Damage on the Heatsink Cooler or make sure its sitting properly on your GPU

The issue wasn't the temps under load, it was the temps at idle :) under load my now fixed 980 reference "Titan Cooler" gets to 68c underload, but at idle it now sits at 37c unlike before when it's idle temp was 48c due to the clock of the card being at max even at idle.

you dont happen to be using a 144hz monitor do you? there are multiple instances of cards not down clocking in some cases with 144hz monitors. I ask because that is my issue. If you do have a 144hz monitor try turning the settings in windows down to 120hz, and watch the temps fall.