TressFX Hair 2.0 Brings Better Performance, Better Visuals and Cross-Platform Support

shadowing2.jpg

List of improvements from Tress FX 1.0 to 2.0 include :
– New functionality to support for grass and fur
– Continuous levels of details (LODs) are designed to improve performance by dynamically adjusting visual detail as TressFX-enabled objects move towards and away from the player’s POV
– Improved efficiency with many light sources and shaders via deferred rendering
– Superior self-shadowing for better depth and texture in the hair
– Even more robust scalability across GPUs of varying performance envelopes (vs. TressFX 1.0)
– Modular code and porting documentation
– Stretchiness now respects the laws of physics
– and numerous bug fixes!

According to AMD TressFX running on Nvidia is faster than HairWorks running on Nvidia. HairWorks is part of Nvidia's closed DLL GameWorks library that developers have been criticizing. The source code to HairWorks isn't public so no one can get their hands on it to optimize it except with permission from Nvidia.  In contrast the latest version of TressFX (2.2) can be downloaded for free on AMD's website. The code is completely open to anyone including Nvidia, which is why it runs well on Nvidia's hardware.

tfx_tr_perf.png

TressFX 2.0 Demo can be downloaded for free by anyone here.

Full article

CPU : i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz. GPU : MSI Lightning GTX 770 @ 1300mhz. 16GB 1600mhz RAM

Kind of looks like they just increased the contrast in that image tbh...

If you look at the image carefully you'll see that specific areas are much darker than similar areas in the original image. Simply raising the contrast of the image wouldn't achieve that. It would make darker areas darker and lighter areas lighter.

Cool i guess.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I really hope this gets implemented in something like the Elder Scrolls VI. From what I've read it appears to be superior to HairWorks in every regard, quality, performance, implementation and compatibility.

Uhh, is TressFx the most pointless tech or what?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I really hope this gets implemented in something like the Elder Scrolls VI. From what I've read it appears to be superior to HairWorks in every regard, quality, performance, implementation and compatibility.

I really doubt that.

I really doubt that.

Well that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. That's just what I've read according to developers so far.

Well that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. That's just what I've read according to developers so far.

Yeah they're a bunch of rambunctious little fellows that sometimes love to complain and hype everything. We'll see it when they're all in action in newer games.

Yes it is

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I hate nvidia k?

And amd should really make their full gameworks library and open and push it to developers then nvidia can suck it. 

I remember reading something about how in Final Fantasy XV, the only difference between the in-game models and the models they use for the pre-rendered cutscenes is the hair.

So more hair tech coming out makes me happy, at least. Let's wait and see what's going to be done with it, though..

I hate nvidia k?

And amd should really make their full gameworks library and open and push it to developers then nvidia can suck it.

Dont you use a gtx 670? Why do you hate nVidia? I mean Im as big of a AMD fan boy as the next guy but hating a company is a little ridiculous.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

So you would rather have flat hair styles in games like Tomb Raider instead of the more realistic hair that's made possible by TressFX? It's an SDK that allows game developers to easily incorporate things like this into their games. TressFX 2.0 goes beyond that and now allows for grass and fur. Once you see a game come out utilizing this technology (grass or fur) your opinion may change. Keep in mind game developers don't have the time to work with developing their own Physics engine for controlling such ingame aspects. This is the same reason as to why PhysX exists. It's there to help game developers incorporate more content into their game with minimal effort. Being as AMD hasn't locked down TressFX to just AMD only products, everyone should be happy.

Weird, AMD created this technology, but still it runs better on Nvidia cards. Really weird.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

interesting that it runs at the same speed on both nvidia and AMD cards, at least according to the graph. Can't wait to see grass, animal fur etc.. make full use of this technology.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Cause yes we only need better hair physics and not you know better everything phisics.

Weird, AMD created this technology, but still it runs better on Nvidia cards. Really weird.

How do you figure? According to the chart it runs the same on both brand of cards. Hairworks is developed by Nvidia for CUDA, hence why the second set of bars in the chart favor Nvidia.