Shadow of Mordor will offer an optional texture pack requiring 6GB of VRAM

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Erm.... ouch.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I hope that they actually look good then, having the game use all that Vram seems a bit much though.

I think it was better if the "Ultra" setting was made for GPU's with 4GB of Vram. That way You wont need a titan to run max textures. Otherwise it will just look like the studio didn't do a good job at optimizing the game.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

That's silly, when you see that most GPU does not have that much Vram....fucking idiots.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Why? Are the textures 8K quality?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I doubt it, this smells of over compensating. Thing to consider would be what res you're running at. Skyrim with full 4K textures doesn't need 6GB of VRAM more around the 3-4GB mark. I doubt they're running 4K textures as well, most games with a HD texture option are "2K". I'll happily be proven wrong, but if game devs telling us we need X amount of cores, X amount of RAM and now X amount of VRAM is anything to go by from the past, they're being overly generous. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Welp seeing 3GB would be the console (actually around 2.5 since they only have access to 4.5 gigs on the SDK for games and that is for everything, and not just textures), I expect the textures to literally be more than twice what they are on the console. If they aren't? Call shenanigans on the port.

I expect to see more games using tiled memory engines though (like Watchdogs). Both the PS4/Xbox One have it on their version of the API. PS4 does it with OpenGL and MS with DX. 

PC Gamers? We have to buy 6gb VRAM cards all because MS withheld API patches from MS. So thanks Microsoft. In before team MS people claim it is our fault that we didn't all upgrade to Win 8 the second it was out.

Can MS stop holding back our ports and games by withholding small API patches from majority share of their OS?  Also MS did not invent this and Sony does the exact thing on the PS4, so spare the "MS is pushing gaming forward" bit.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/01/30/directx-11-2-tiled-resources-enables-optimized-pc-gaming-experiences/

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I doubt it, this smells of over compensating. Thing to consider would be what res you're running at. Skyrim with full 4K textures doesn't need 6GB of VRAM more around the 3-4GB mark. I doubt they're running 4K textures as well, most games with a HD texture option are "2K". I'll happily be proven wrong, but if game devs telling us we need X amount of cores, X amount of RAM and now X amount of VRAM is anything to go by from the past, they're being overly generous. 

At least it is a separate download. The note says you will need to download it separately, so it isn't going to make the game size massive just because the titan exists and a handful of people bought one.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Otherwise it will just look like the studio didn't do a good job at optimizing the game.

Performance optimization has nothing to do with texture quality. This is actually an optional download of a texture pack for the people that do have cards with 6 GB of vram. If anything the devs are catering to the PC enthusiast community. So don't whine about that. Be happy that they're not ignoring the PC enthusiast crowd. 

I repeat. This is an optional texture pack, that is not included in the main game. The devs are being respectful to PC gamers. Not disrespectful. 

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

Each strand of hair better have its own texture...

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Performance optimization has nothing to do with texture quality. This is actually an optional download of a texture pack for the people that do have cards with 6 GB of vram. If anything the devs are catering to the PC enthusiast community. So don't whine about that. Be happy that they're not ignoring the PC enthusiast crowd. 

I repeat. This is an optional texture pack, that is not included in the main game. The devs are being respectful to PC gamers. Not disrespectful. 

I was just pointing out that if they actually don't look that amazing it would be considered as just bad texturing. But you have a point yes, and I noticed it. (comment above yours)

Spoiler

At least it is a separate download. The note says you will need to download it separately, so it isn't going to make the game size massive just because the titan exists and a handful of people bought one.

Well I wasn't even bothered by extra HDD space needed or anything. What my point was at 1080p which they state on the options theyve got to be higher than 4K textures, so I'm seriously doubting their suggestion that you'd need 6GB of VRAM, I'm willing to bet the real figure is well within the 3-4GB range. Basically I'm calling BS. 

This is Crysis 3 at max settings including all the AA and AF. Note the peak of 2.2GB at a 1920x1200 res. 

u4ur.png

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I was just pointing out that if they actually don't look that amazing it would be considered as just bad texturing. But you have a point yes, and I noticed it. (comment above yours)

I might have sounded a little disrespectful to you with these large bolded letters. Sorry if it looked like that. Anyways, I phrased the title of the topic as if this was a bad thing. I edited it now to sound like a good thing. 

This game is severely sexy. I don't blame them.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Well I wasn't even bothered by extra HDD space needed or anything. What my point was at 1080p which they state on the options theyve got to be higher than 4K textures, so I'm seriously doubting their suggestion that you'd need 6GB of VRAM, I'm willing to bet the real figure is well within the 3-4GB range. Basically I'm calling BS. 

I really hope that the medium textures (2Gb and above) is what they intended for 1080P. Otherwise I will sadly need to agree.

Spoiler

I might have sounded a little disrespectful to you with these large bolded letters. Sorry if it looked like that. Anyways, I phrased the title of the topic as if this was a bad thing. I edited it now to sound like a good thing. 

As long as you are making sense and have a point then you can word your sentence however you please, I wont take offence if I agree with what you are pointing out. 

Spoiler

omg cant wait :3

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

So essentially 99.6% of gamers won't be able to utilize this.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

That's silly, when you see that most GPU does not have that much Vram....fucking idiots.

So essentially 99.6% of gamers won't be able to utilize this.

Crisis much?

It's another generation of Nvidia releasing Gxx04 chips as GTXx80, while historically they were in GTXx60 range. Allow them to show these lazy mofos.

Crisis much?

It's another generation of Nvidia releasing Gxx04 chips as GTXx80, while historically they were in GTXx60 range. Allow them to show these lazy mofos.

I don't think you are answering and quoting the correct post here.  

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

It's just a matter of time. Maybe this hints how much ram is to come in the next GPU releases, at least AMD has been making the first step when it comes to VRAM. Let's hope the R9 300 come with 6GB or 8GB VRAM.

It's just a matter of time. Maybe this hints how much ram is to come in the next GPU releases, at least AMD has been making the first step when it comes to VRAM. Let's hope the R9 300 come with 6GB or 8GB VRAM.

AMD's Gaming Scientist (which is basically a made up title) Richard Huddy said in an interview recently that in a few years time the standard for GPUs will become 16GB. So yeah, the 20nm 390X is most definitely gonna be 8 gigs.

That's just insane. Not very well thought out on their part.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I don't think you are answering and quoting the correct post here.  

You have problems PCs won't be able to run this.

And this is caused by recent dick moves by Nvidia, where they stretch their architectures over 2 generations, effectively slowing down GPU advancement, meaning there are more slower PCs because the GM204 instead of costing $200 costs $500. It's been like this with 680, it's same with 980. I'm Nvidia user myself, and run on 570 with barely 1280MB of VRAM, and I know I won't be able to run that texture pack. But if more games like this and less games like COD Ghosts that are properly optimized and look epic come out, it'll force both teams to sit down their asses and start releasing competitive products instead of milking cash out of every chip, driving prices down (Bitcoin didn't help here either).

Since Titan, prices of top-range GPUs went up at least £100 in UK.

Skyrim and GTA4 has done similar thing already through modding, it's about time we get another Crisis.

AMD's Gaming Scientist (which is basically a made up title) Richard Huddy said in an interview recently that in a few years time the standard for GPUs will become 16GB. So yeah, the 20nm 390X is most definitely gonna be 8 gigs.

Every tittle is made up, it's the so called human convention... people make them up as it suits them :D

Yeah probably, but I wasn't expecting this as soon as this - either way, I like the sound of 8GB.