Shadow of Mordor will offer an optional texture pack requiring 6GB of VRAM

Every tittle is made up, it's the so called human convention... people make them up as it suits them :D

What I meant is that he ain't a scientist. And he doesn't do any science. Maybe I should've said "fake title".  :)

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system

This is so silly its not even worth the effort, 6GB of VRAM textures wont make the game look better AT ALL,what they need is proper optimized effects which bring the game to life,ill guess its one of those that looks terrible/static environment like SKYRIM vanilla,HD texture pack didnt improve shet on that game.Try proper skin shaders,and different tweaked shaders for each surface(trees/ground/rocks etc) tesselated water, do some physx effects.Should i mention proper lighting which is the number 1 graphic improvement to look for first?

Im talking to myself i guess? 

I think all the "moar graphics,moar eye-candy" mentality has now reached idiotic levels,id love to play one of those old games that were PROPERLY done and extremely addictive/fun,but were limited by old tech years ago.Who complained CounterStrike looked cheap? no one,yet it was/is so popular.

Meh..

This is impossible unless they are using 8K textures or something. Sounds like they are just doing this on purpose...

EDIT: lol 6Gb or more? What are these guys smoking?

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

sounds like some overkill, sounds like they perhaps didnt use the best texture compression,

but maybe the medium textures will be the same as current ultra textures

I doubt it, this smells of over compensating. Thing to consider would be what res you're running at. Skyrim with full 4K textures doesn't need 6GB of VRAM more around the 3-4GB mark. I doubt they're running 4K textures as well, most games with a HD texture option are "2K". I'll happily be proven wrong, but if game devs telling us we need X amount of cores, X amount of RAM and now X amount of VRAM is anything to go by from the past, they're being overly generous. 

And even then we're talking amateurs working on the textures, one would think a professional studio would be able to achieve at least some compression to keep the size down so in actuality it should be even less than that.

Unless we're talking 4k this smells of the CoD shenanigans of bs requirements to make you think it's very "next gen" but it's not.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And even then we're talking amateurs working on the textures, one would think a professional studio would be able to achieve at least some compression to keep the size down so in actuality it should be even less than that.

Unless we're talking 4k this smells of the CoD shenanigans of bs requirements to make you think it's very "next gen" but it's not.

The compression you want and tiled resources already exist. We will see big improvements of it (already exists on DX 11.2). This can also be done on OpenGL.  

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/4

Problem? No game studio is going to make a game for 13 percent marketshare version (Win 8/8.1 combined), for the same reason they aren't going to bother making a native OpenGL version. Releasing textures they used on E3 demos on their Titan black's is easy on the other hand. 

The game devs are in a catch 22. They are tempted to not go OpenGL because they have the promise that DX 12 will mean super easy ports between XB1 and PC (less work for them). AMD has said Mantle will be easy as hell to port to DX 12. They could scrap DX all together if XB1 failed, but MS is spending money left and right to make sure that doesn't happen (see Mine Craft), and Steam OS is not ready. China jumping on the OpenGL bandwagon might get us on OpenGL (they are pretty much like F Microsoft) but until then Direct X is what we have and we have an outdated version on all our games. 

I see people continually blaming the game devs but all they have is DX 11 to work with, since that is who is going to be buying the game. Witcher 3 is going to be DX 11 as well. Ryse uses 3 GB of VRAM for max settings just like Watch Dogs did. So are we going to blame CDPR who is a PC first developer if they require 4 gigs of VRAM for the highest textures? We shouldn't. They should be commended for throwing us those textures, even if the majority of PC gamers can't use them.

TLDR. People are just going to have to get used to needing 3 GB of VRAM for awhile. The 6 and up? F that. A couple games before we get new API version games. With tiles resources etc, we may never need that much going forward. If you are considering a new video card though? Get 3 or 4 gigs if you can fit it in your budget. I don't see MS giving Win 7 newer versions of DX any time soon.  

I am no fan of EA but you can't blame them here. All they did was release the original textures from their dev machines (which we have asked for, for some time) before they were neutered for consoles. Not their fault Win 7 doesn't have the last two API's, or 11.3 that is coming. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.