bootmgr problem

1chalupa
Go to solution Solved by 1chalupa,

ok so i have clue how to say without doing a wall of text sorry in advance  :) . so i called up ibuypower they determined that somehow windows got currupted. so now after talking with them on the phone for around an hour! they had me just reinstall windows. luckly one of my drives is empty and i wont loose any files YAY!! but i like my raid array of ssds will have to be recreated... damn. but luckly i still have my mass storage which holds of my important crap. but now i have a long time of waiting for windows to install twice. JUST HAPPENED WHILE WRITING  now i am having trouble installing windows... ugh. my raid controller is saying that the array is healthy along with all of the other drives. i have tried everything that you wonderful people have told me to do except for taking a pic of the drives cause we now what the problem is. i am very thankful to have such a great communtiy to go to for help. not to get all mushy. but anyways so i think i can handle it from hear if i have anymore problems i might make a new thread and link this one in it. once again thank you guys for all of the help but it was probably a user error while trying one of you guys's solution. 

PS: sorry for the wall of text but i am a little frustrated and just wanted to get my story out. if you guys got any questions i will still be checking my notifications. i will mark this post as solved cause although many of your solutions were helpful this is one that kinda fixed it... nothing personal. i really should stop typing and just post this wall of text, that i know everyone hates... 

so recently i got a new hard drive and i got it all working. but in the process of initializing it in the device manager i hit activate. so i then de activate it. i then re activate my c drive cause thats where windows is. i then make sure that everything is right by using diskpart in cmd. so that all checks out. i then turn my computer off cause im done for the night. i turn it on the next day and i get a message "bootmgr is missing ctrl+alt+del to restart" so i restart a couple times. no luck. i get my installation disk out and boot that. it cant find any problems. i then try using the command prompt in the repair system. i use diskpart, then list disk. then it only shows the drive x which is the cd. doesnt show any of my four drives. i fiddle around in the boot order. no luck. so now i am here. tried everything i know and looking for help. please help me i need to use my computer for school and thank god this happened on the weekend. 

so recently i got a new hard drive and i got it all working. but in the process of initializing it in the device manager i hit activate. so i then de activate it. i then re activate my c drive cause thats where windows is. i then make sure that everything is right by using diskpart in cmd. so that all checks out. i then turn my computer off cause im done for the night. i turn it on the next day and i get a message "bootmgr is missing ctrl+alt+del to restart" so i restart a couple times. no luck. i get my installation disk out and boot that. it cant find any problems. i then try using the command prompt in the repair system. i use diskpart, then list disk. then it only shows the drive x which is the cd. doesnt show any of my four drives. i fiddle around in the boot order. no luck. so now i am here. tried everything i know and looking for help. please help me i need to use my computer for school and thank god this happened on the weekend. 

If you use anything above windows xp, you need to make the small partition which is the first on the boot drive, the active one.

(Size of that partition: ~ 100 MB for Windows Vista/7 and 300MB on Windows 8 if i remember correctly)

Edit: By the way, the partition i'm talking about is probably called "system-reserved" and it has got the boot manager on it (or atleast part of it, i think)

Edited by Elbstrand

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

how would i do that? btw thanks for the speedy reply

edit: i know i have that partition its just that it doesnt show up

forgot to quote

If you use anything above windows xp, you need to make the small partition which is the first on the boot drive, the active one.

(Size of that partition: ~ 100 MB for Windows Vista/7 and 300MB on Windows 8 if i remember correctly)

Edit: By the way, the partition i'm talking about is probably called "system-reserved" and it has got the boot manager on it (or atleast part of it, i think)

Well, atleast now you know the cause and what you need to fix.

Get a GParted live disk / usb stick and try if you can detect the partitions there.

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Also GParted should be able to set the partition to active again, if it can detect it.

BTW: Next time you make a new thread or any post for that matter, try not to write "a wall of text".

Try to actually leave some spaces (empty lines in between) and maybe highlight some of the keywords with bold or italic. This should attract more people to actually take the time and read your post. I've had a hard time convincing myself to actually take my time and read your first post.

Also you could seperate the actually juicy parts of the text (the facts / the questions) from stuff that won't help anyone in the process if they read it.

Well, atleast now you know the cause and what you need to fix.

Get a GParted live disk / usb stick and try if you can detect the partitions there.

Cool thanks, I will try that in the morning. And will reply with my outcome. Then just so you know I will be calling ibuypower tech support on Monday. They are he company I got the rig from.

Also GParted should be able to set the partition to active again, if it can detect it.

BTW: Next time you make a new thread or any post for that matter, try not to write "a wall of text".

Try to actually leave some spaces (empty lines in between) and maybe highlight some of the keywords with bold or italic. This should attract more people to actually take the time and read your post. I've had a hard time convincing myself to actually take my time and read your first post.

Duely noted, I will do that next time. I just wanted to get my whole story out. Not they this really matters but I am kinda new to this whole posting issues on forums instead of just searching for answers or calling someone

Cool thanks, I will try that in the morning. And will reply with my outcome. Then just so you know I will be calling ibuypower tech support on Monday. They are he company I got the rig from.

Great. Hope you didn't miss my post above yours.

Duely noted, I will do that next time. I just wanted to get my whole story out. Not they this really matters but I am kinda new to this whole posting issues on forums instead of just searching for answers or calling someone

It's no problem at all, but it will get more people to read your stuff and help you, if your posts are as easy to read as possible.

PS. I did a small change to the text you quoted, since you quoted.

Great. Hope you didn't missed my post above yours.

I didn't, almost did tho

I didn't, almost did tho

Since you are new:

As soon, as your problem is fixed you should select the best answer you got, which helped you fix it. This is done by clicking the "solved" button at the bottom of the post you want to mark.

Since you are new:

As soon, as your problem is fixed you should select the best answer you got, which helped you fix it. This is done by clicking the "solved" button at the bottom of the post you want to mark.

Ya I was wondering what that was for. I will do that as soon as I fix it. Thanks again

Ya I was wondering what that was for. I will do that as soon as I fix it. Thanks again

Found that out a couple of days ago. Was wondering all the time how people did mark the best answer. :D

Found that out a couple of days ago. Was wondering all the time how people did mark the best answer. :D

Oh that makes me feel better, I am not that much of a "noob"...

I had the same problem. I copied Bootmgr file from my friends Windows 7 install disk and I just pasted it into mine.

I was then able to see my partitions and also I was able to do a nice clean install of windows ultimate 64 bit.

If you need the file Message Me.

I had the same problem. I copied Bootmgr file from my friends Windows 7 install disk and I just pasted it into mine.

I was then able to see my partitions and also I was able to do a nice clean install of windows ultimate 64 bit.

If you need the file Message Me.

Ok I will is the solution above doesnt work. And am I going to have to do a clean install of windows cause all I am trying to do is get into the windows environment do I can select the correct drive as active

Ok I will is the solution above doesnt work. And am I going to have to do a clean install of windows cause all I am trying to do is get into the windows environment do I can select the correct drive as active

You still can't find the drive even with GParted? Are you sure its detected correctly in the BIOS?

You still can't find the drive even with GParted? Are you sure its detected correctly in the BIOS?

oh sorry i was on my ipad meant to say if, i am downloading gparted and gonna try it now. sorry for the confusion 

oh sorry i was on my ipad meant to say if, i am downloading gparted and gonna try it now. sorry for the confusion 

no worries :P

so i downloaded gparted and burned the whole entire iso to a cd

i put in my computer

so i hit f12 to select first boot device select cd

then it says this "loading operating system ... boot from cd/dvd : bootmgr is missing press ctrl alt del to restart" 

it seems like it cant boot to anyother cd thats not a windows install cd

EDIT: i got into gparted

so i got into gparted

and the only drives that show up are one of ssds   my ssds and system reserved not any of one 1tb drives

also my left click doesnt work...

i am figuring out gparted

cycled through my drives which are: 2 ssds in raid 0, 60 gb each, which are also my boot drives

then two 1tb drives not in any raid

then there is the system reserved

currenty the only drives flagged as anything are the sdds

they are flagged as boot

i cant seem how to flag other things

should my system reserved be flagged as boot?

and how to flag things?

Edited by 1chalupa

so i used a different boot cd with partition wizard on, i set the 100mb partition as active

then i restarted, didnt hit a key to boot to a cd

then it gets the first windows loading screen, the black one

then it flashes a blue screen for under a second, couldnt get any info off it

system restarts on its own then goes to the windows recovery thing WITHOUT the cd

this is a sign of life... i think. 

still cant get into the full windows environment

i then try the diskpart command

list disks

nothing shows up

i do bootrec and try rebuildbcd, scan os, fixmbr, but not fixboot cause it might overwrite stuff.

Well i don't know about your specifics, but setting the "system reserved" as active was the way to go.

In my case its got the following flags: active, system, primary partition.

My c:// partition got something like: Start partition, primary partition (it's in german so i can't give you the exact name)

PS. Just try fixboot, there shouldn't be going anything wrong, it just writes the boot manager again. also try to disconnect anything but your boot drive for now.

Well i don't know about your specifics, but setting the "system reserved" as active was the way to go.

In my case its got the following flags: active, system, primary partition.

My c:// partition got something like: Start partition, primary partition (it's in german so i can't give you the exact name)

PS. Just try fixboot, there shouldn't be going anything wrong, it just writes the boot manager again. also try to disconnect anything but your boot drive for now.

So I tried fixboot and it said this operation is not ready.

Don't know what to try now

Thanks for the help, but it looks like I'm gonna have to call ibuypower tomorrow and hope they can fix it