Plex Pass is getting more expensive

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/23/plex-pass-price-increase/

Source 2: https://blog.plex.tv/2014/09/22/upcoming-price-increase-new-plex-pass-subscriptions/

All Plex users who just read the title are going "Oh noes!", but fear not! If you are already subscribed to Plex Pass, then you won't be affected. So what's going on? Quite simple, Plex is raising the price for Plex lifetime from $75 to $150. That's a double in price, which is insane. Month to month subscriptions are going up from $4 to $5, and a yearly renewal is being bumped from $30 to $40

So why the price bump? Plex says it's because of the new features and premium content that it will be adding in the coming months. These new goodies have yet to be unveiled, and because of this fact, I really wish that Plex would have waited on the price bump. Plex may be more pricier now, but if you use it often, it's still probably worth buying. Personally, I'm using it as a free user, and was waiting to buy Plex Pass in the next month or so, but with this price jump, I think I may wait a bit to see what Plex will be offering...

The price increase is scheduled to happen at the end of this month, so you have about a week left to purchase Plex Pass at the cheaper rates.

COMIC SANS

first tought it was about the plex from eve online. i guess i was wrong

Wait, it isn't?

Well the only plex I've heard of is the EVE currency.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Even if the thread was about PLEX in Eve, the title wouldn't be wrong. PLEX prices have been steadily rising with the curve of inflation in Eve. I remember when a PLEX was only 375mil.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Yeah I'm Using Plex as a free user also and thought about buying the Plex Lifetime pass at the end of the year but now I'm not to sure of it but I guess I will have to wait and see now

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Wait, it isn't?

if you click the sauce link, you could see it isn't

Even if the thread was about PLEX in Eve, the title wouldn't be wrong. PLEX prices have been steadily rising with the curve of inflation in Eve. I remember when a PLEX was only 375mil.

you can buy eve plex with in game money or buying it with real life money. i tought it was about the last one

so this plex is like netflix i guess. correct me if im wrong

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

Wait, it isn't?

Yeah I had never heard of this either. Would have been better to put Plex Pass in the title.

so this plex is like netflix i guess. correct me if im wrong

Plex Media Server is a program for managing media and streaming it to multiple devices. It transcodes the media on the fly for optimal playback based on the device it's streaming to. i.e. it will take a 1080p mkv file and convert it to a 480p mp4 file for a phone.

Being a Plex Pass member means you get the following:
15149039567_7e3763388a_o.png

plex-server-100045275-orig.jpg

Note that this is just an example and not my actual music library.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Already have Lifetime PlexPass, so yay. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Whelp, This is going to give me one more reason to abandon PLEX on my network. It does have some pros, like real time transcoding, but the lack of Blu-Ray and DVD ISO/ Folder structures support and a few other quirks make it not so great. 

Now, I just need to find an alternative to Plex which isn't  XBMC. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I was so confused for the longest time. Had to read the first paragraph (linked article) 2 times and only the second time did I realise it was not about Eve and that this was why it was not mentioning Eve or CCP any where lol  :P

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Wow they better deliver some pretty awesome features at that price.

I can't complain as I'm already a lifetime Plex Pass subscriber. The features that lured me in was Multi-users, which is great to share things with the family. And Sync, which is just insanely great for someone who doesn't use data on his phone. 

Plus, I wanted to support the good work they've been doing. I've been a free user for a little while before paying... Sooo

Whelp, This is going to give me one more reason to abandon PLEX on my network. It does have some pros, like real time transcoding, but the lack of Blu-Ray and DVD ISO/ Folder structures support and a few other quirks make it not so great. 

Now, I just need to find an alternative to Plex which isn't  XBMC. 

Explain what you mean by "Blu-Ray & DVD ISO/Folder Structures". 

Like, it doesn't read ISOs, I get. I don't get what you mean by folder structure though.

If you were wondering why Plex doesn't support it: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201426506-Why-are-ISO-VIDEO-TS-and-other-Disk-Image-Formats-Not-Supported-

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Like, it doesn't read ISOs, I get. I don't get what you mean by folder structure though.

If you were wondering why Plex doesn't support it: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201426506-Why-are-ISO-VIDEO-TS-and-other-Disk-Image-Formats-Not-Supported-

Probably just ripped DVD... but not to ISO. But it the end it's the same thing. Once the iso is mounted, it's just folders. 

Nice link though ! :) 

A folder structure is basically a rip of a disk, but not stored in a disk image, so it is just the folders found on a DVD or Blu Ray. 

Here is what a folder structure looks like:

BDROMAVdirectorystructure_thumb.gif

As to why someone would want to to keep the folder structure: It keeps all extras, including the disk menu, pre-rolls, alternative soundtracks in different languages, subtitles. If I remember correctly, it also allows for various audio formats to be simultaneously present, such as DTS-HD, Dolby Digital, and L-PCM, all in multiple languages depending on the disk region. It also allows for various presentation graphics, which is a fancy way of saying rendered text that is present in a scene.

So far PLEX has no real reason as to why they don't support .ISOs and folder structures, other than "Simply put, these formats just don't fit into the idea behind the Plex ecosystem."  XBMC has had support for DVD .ISOs and folder structures for a while. They added experimental Blu-Ray support recently. The only downside though, is the XBMC won't transcode on the fly.

Other formats, such as .MKV are nice, but often the main movie title has to be re-encoded when ripping to .MKV. This may result in grain and other anomalies, and trust me, on a 50" plasma, it can be distracting.

MKV is nice for single titles, such as TV episodes, and for just archiving the main movie playlist, but you lose out on some features.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Every time I give someone an invite to my Plex server they don't care or ignore and it makes me sad.  I think it's the coolest thing evar.

Every time I give someone an invite to my Plex server they don't care or ignore and it makes me sad.  I think it's the coolest thing evar.

... I'd like an invite. <PaydenKP on Plex.

† Christian Member †