Microsoft unveils Their Chromecast - Works with Windows and Android

GoodBytes

I've had one for about 9 months and never had a problem. Maybe your router just sucks.

But it doesn't. It is just Verizon's stock solution, but my Shield Portable can stream 720p 60FPS just fine on it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I've had one for about 9 months and never had a problem. Maybe your router just sucks.

Like I said, I have the same problem. It's ok if you use youtube or Chrome web browser or teh apps (which many of them don't work in Canada due to the lack of service being available here).. minus the huge lag, but desktop sharing, or 1080p.. ouch.

I have the ASUS RT-N66U (2.4Ghz and 5GHz), and before I had the Linksys WRT-160N (2.4GHz - early Wireless N Draft). So it can't be Wireless N, especially that I was right next to the router.

With miracast, I could pick any movies, video and stream to it. I can use any web browser and it works, text is sharper from what i saw with other Miracast devices. So if Microsoft one is a solid performer, competing against the more expensive ones, I definitively going to get it.

No, any HDMI plug that long is asking to be torqued and broken. I went with a flexible USB headphone dongle when my old ioplate audio jacks died for a reason. Stiff connectors are BAD!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So on the product page it says it can be used with a monitor. However, what if my monitor has no USB port? How would this mirror my desktop display assuming the USB is the plug that draws power.

So on the product page it says it can be used with a monitor. However, what if my monitor has no USB port? How would this mirror my desktop display assuming the USB is the plug that draws power.

Most monitor have a powered USB hub, but in your case, just get a USB extension cord.

It would be nice if the cable was detachable and you use your own micro USB to normal USB. But, I think I understand the direction Microsoft went.

I think they wanted to reduce the bulk by the connection, increase product reliability (micro-USB breaking, and exclude problems of not being properly plugged in), and have it easy to carry. (well easier to carry in your bag, should I say).

At least, I think that was the thought process, in that decision about it

Nice. But what is a Chromecat?

Dah! Isn't it obvious? A cat made out of chrome. :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Oh well you know Microsoft fanboys and girls are going to be raving over this while all Google needs to do is add in updates for the Chromecast and it's still cheaper...

And before you say I'm a Google fanboy what not...

I prefer Ubuntu and OS X...

I wish Canonical had larger support for Ubuntu Phone but iOS and Android is cool too...

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Don't know if this was asked yet but reading articles on this makes it seem like only 8.1 users will be able to use it and us 7 users are left in teh dust. Is this true?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Don't know if this was asked yet but reading articles on this makes it seem like only 8.1 users will be able to use it and us 7 users are left in teh dust. Is this true?

It works with any device that supports the Miracast standard. Currently there are 728 source devices that are certified to work with Miracast display devices (This Wireless Display Adapter is certified display device). But that means the source device must have software and hardware support. For Windows that is Windows 8.1 and above (Hardware must also have support). For Android it is version 4.2.2 and above (again the hardware must also support Miracast). I believe Windows Phone OS supports it at version 8.1.

You can find the entire list of fully supported source devices here: http://www.wi-fi.org/certified-products-results?cid=&sortby=default&org=0&ga_capabilities=[%22Miracast%C2%AE+-+Source%22]&ga_capabilities=[%22Miracast%C2%AE+-+Source%22]&category=Select&start_date[date]=&end_date[date]=&capabilities[67]=67&op=Search&form_build_id=form-GD3q7JSb8Izl3fukw2F01Ndzk1y4U9_K3d8Jr-emu-Y&form_id=wifi_cert_api_advanced_search_form

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Its an effing rectangle... Call me when MS makes something with curves

No. Apple would probably sue them.  :D

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Looks good, if it proves to work better than my Chromecast I might get one, but so far it works perfectly for me.

I don't know much about Miracast, but I have a question. I understand from what I've read that Windows 8.1 is needed to have Miracast support in Windows. What else is needed ? I see demos with tablets and laptops but nothing with desktops. If I would like to share my desktop which is Ethernet (wired) and not WIFI. Do I need a WIFI Miracast adapter to stream to a Miracast dongle such as this Microsoft one ?

I could really see a solution like this to stream my desktop, my phone's wife, my phone and my wife's tablet.

I believe you need the LASTEST update to windows 8.1 to have your PC support Miracast.

Its an effing rectangle... Call me when MS makes something with curves

Why the heck does it matter. It connects to your TV and you don't need to worry about it or look at it hopefully if your TV hides it.

FOR EVERYONE! You can buy any of these Miracast dongles instead if you find the price to high, don't like the look, don't like MS, or what ever. The prices range from mostly $20-$100 USD

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=miracast+dongle&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=19632418961&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10599361631906505477&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4hd5q8thoa_e

It works with any device that supports the Miracast standard. Currently there are 728 source devices that are certified to work with Miracast display devices (This Wireless Display Adapter is certified display device). But that means the source device must have software and hardware support. For Windows that is Windows 8.1 and above (Hardware must also have support). For Android it is version 4.2.2 and above (again the hardware must also support Miracast). I believe Windows Phone OS supports it at version 8.1.

You can find the entire list of fully supported source devices here: http://www.wi-fi.org/certified-products-results?cid=&sortby=default&org=0&ga_capabilities=[%22Miracast%C2%AE+-+Source%22]&ga_capabilities=[%22Miracast%C2%AE+-+Source%22]&category=Select&start_date[date]=&end_date[date]=&capabilities[67]=67&op=Search&form_build_id=form-GD3q7JSb8Izl3fukw2F01Ndzk1y4U9_K3d8Jr-emu-Y&form_id=wifi_cert_api_advanced_search_form

I looked through that and I didn't see windows on it. Anyway is there any way to get to work on win 7? My family doesn't have any pc's with 8.1 on them.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I looked through that and I didn't see windows on it. Anyway is there any way to get to work on win 7? My family doesn't have any pc's with 8.1 on them.

Under Win7 I noticed "wireless projector" being a feature, but I have 0 idea if it's miracast or something else.

Never tried.

In Win8.1, you have the option that says "connect to a wireless display" from the charm bar