Microsoft unveils Their Chromecast - Works with Windows and Android

GoodBytes

not when it works with windows...i'd buy it since it works with windows.

Chromecast works with Chrome - which means it's supported on Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, and Apple devices. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

not when it works with windows...i'd buy it since it works with windows.

chromecast does work with windows.

it works pretty different that the chromecast, to they point ill say they are hard to compare, chromecast cast info from the internet and requires developer support, this is literally just a wirelles display adapter like the name suggest

chromecast can stream as well.

chromecast does work with windows.

chromecast can stream as well.

CAN doesn't mean it does anywhere from WELL.

Now, of course we know nothing about Microsoft solution, and it could be crap as well. But the fact that showcase that you can stream your entire desktop, probably means that they put a better wireless card inside, and faster processor inside, for a much smoother experience, higher image quality (even if it ends up being only does 720p), and reduce lag. I expect lag out of it, all miracast type product have one, but I expect it to be less than Chromecast

Nice. But what is a Chromecat? A cat that has a Chrome browser?

Chrome-cat is what I wish I had over my Chromecast. At least it would have been a cat.

lol Thanks fixed!

I don't know much about Miracast, but I have a question. I understand from what I've read that Windows 8.1 is needed to have Miracast support in Windows. What else is needed ? I see demos with tablets and laptops but nothing with desktops. If I would like to share my desktop which is Ethernet (wired) and not WIFI. Do I need a WIFI Miracast adapter to stream to a Miracast dongle such as this Microsoft one ?

I could really see a solution like this to stream my desktop, my phone's wife, my phone and my wife's tablet.

This actually look pretty cool, if it works well I'll probably buy one.  

That... that's an awesome PowerPoint.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

it works with window's, thats realy cool !

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Too expensive.

Back the when Chromecast was announced I thought it would work as a Miricast dongle and was pretty disappointed when I realized it wasn't. This is more appealing to me functionality wise, but the price is too high.

Too expensive.

Back the when Chromecast was announced I thought it would work as a Miricast dongle and was pretty disappointed when I realized it wasn't. This is more appealing to me functionality wise, but the price is too high.

How about 100-150$ for something that works ok?

'cause the price range of others.

of course, that is assuming ms solution works ok or better.

How about 100-150$ for something that works ok?

'cause the price range of others.

of course, that is assuming ms solution works ok or better.

At 100-150 dollars I'd just not bother. I can get a cable to use on my phone/laptop for like 2 dollars, and it will work better than any wireless mirroring.

I can deal with ~30 dollars more for the convince of wireless, but not 55.

I am sure some people will buy it, but I think it would have been far more attractive at 35 dollars.

So its basically like a wireless/invisible HDMI cable but more functionality. Just what my parents wanted for their bedroom, too bad they ended up putting a HTPC in there.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Yep, a lackluster experience which is fine when you want to watch Netflix from a phone but if you want to stream your tab or OS, it stutters like a beotch. I try to do this every now and then, and even with my 60/60 (peak) internet, I can't manage smoothness.

That's odd, my chromecast streams my entire desktop or my phone's display flawlessly, like literally almost no noticeable lag.   What network equipment are you using? You might have issues If there are many networks around you and/or if you're on 2.4GHz wifi there could also be lot of interference in the air space which could cause lag and stuttering when streaming.

That's odd, my chromecast streams my entire desktop or my phone's display flawlessly, like literally almost no noticeable lag.   What network equipment are you using? You might have issues If there are many networks around you and/or if you're on 2.4GHz wifi there could also be lot of interference in your area.

I am using a 2.4GHz router, but the only connected devices when I tested it were my PC, the MacBook Air and the Chromecast. And my Shield, for the record, fares much better in worse network conditions.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I am using a 2.4GHz router, but the only connected devices when I tested it were my PC, the MacBook Air and the Chromecast. And my Shield, for the record, fares much better in worse network conditions.

I would like to add that I also have 2.4 and 5GHz Wireless N router. Horrible experience, and that is my router being next my PC monitor, which I used Chromecast, and my Surface Pro 2 right next to it. I was testing it. I have excellent reception in my place. I even did a heatmap with Ekahau HeatMaper.

I would like to add that I also have 2.4 and 5GHz Wireless N router. Horrible experience.

I'm sorry, but it works well for me on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band, using wireless N.

Are there many wireless networks in your area?

I really don't think the chromecast is at fault here.  It can handle mirror casting just fine,  I think it's the quality of your wireless network that determines how good the stream is.

I've tested it with a nexus 4 mirror casting the entire display.... works fine with no perceivable lag, almost as if it were connected using a cable
I've also tested it with a few PCs and if you are casting your desktop at 1080p there is a small amount of lag, but I wouldn't define it as a "bad experience"

I really don't think the chromecast is at fault here.  It can handle mirror casting just fine,  I think it's the quality of your wireless network that determines how good the stream is.

I've tested it with a nexus 4 mirror casting the entire display.... works fine with no perceivable lag, almost as if it were connected using a cable

I've also tested it with a few PCs and if you are casting your desktop at 1080p there is a small amount of lag, but I wouldn't define it as a "bad experience"

For the price, the Chromecast is pretty good value. Using it primarily with Plex, Youtube, and occasionally streaming other embedded players (in full screen mode), and it's perfectly fine. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'm sorry, but it works well for me on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band, using wireless N.

Are there many wireless networks in your area?

I have edit my post with more details.

Yes, I am in an apartment building, close to downtown, so there is cell tower nearby.

Perhaps it is the problem, but it shows the cheapo wireless card Google put in, if that is the case, but I recall it did report full signal.

And I have no problem with any of my wireless devices. Even my WiiU, has 0 lag problem between the controller and the console, and the game on the gamepad is well in sync.

I don't know much about Miracast, but I have a question. I understand from what I've read that Windows 8.1 is needed to have Miracast support in Windows. What else is needed ? I see demos with tablets and laptops but nothing with desktops. If I would like to share my desktop which is Ethernet (wired) and not WIFI. Do I need a WIFI Miracast adapter to stream to a Miracast dongle such as this Microsoft one ?

I could really see a solution like this to stream my desktop, my phone's wife, my phone and my wife's tablet.

Id say it would just pick up your desktop threw your router just like if u had a wireless printer or something.

Yes, I have had a Chromecast for months now. That's the experience I just described.

I've had one for about 9 months and never had a problem. Maybe your router just sucks.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|