Valve begins publicly listing AMD catalyst driver bugs in Linux

Humbug

Not really, nvidia rivers for linux are even worse. But nvidia wouldn't react well to valve publishing their bugs and is strong enough to sue valve, whereas amd is not.

nvidia drivers actually work on linux very well, much better than AMD

i have no idea who the hell told you that amd works better on linux...lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A lot of the core Linux community actually likes AMD and Intel because of their open source drivers. They don't mind the fact that it's slower than catalyst because the principles of open source are so important to them.

But I'm guessing for most people on this forum (including me) performance is more important.

nvidia drivers actually work on linux very well, much better than AMD

i have no idea who the hell told you that amd works better on linux...lol

Wasn't it linus torvalds who said nvidia wasn't supporting linux enough? there are also some dick moves from nvidia that don't help, such as limiting the number of displays because of windows restrictions and "parity"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

A lot of the core Linux community actually likes AMD and Intel because of their open source drivers. They don't mind the fact that it's slower than catalyst because the principles of open source are so important to them.

But I'm guessing for most people on this forum (including me) performance is more important.

I personally prefer the open source Radeon driver because of its superior 2D acceleration. I don't game at all but if I install Catalyst the re-sizing of windows heavily taxes the CPU. Along with Compiz effects like wobbly windows just tear all to hell (doesn't look natural even with anti-tear enabled). The open Radeon driver is personally the best for a smooth desktop experience. Tho if you do any kind of 3D gaming Catalyst is a must.

I personally prefer the open source Radeon driver because of its superior 2D acceleration. I don't game at all but if I install Catalyst the re-sizing of windows heavily taxes the CPU. Along with Compiz effects like wobbly windows just tear all to hell (doesn't look natural even with anti-tear enabled). The open Radeon driver is personally the best for a smooth desktop experience.

i had problems with 2d performance with catalyst using firefox in Linux- across a variety of distros. E.g.Lagging when scrolling especially with lots of graphical stuff open. But i was able to solve the problem by switching to chromium.

Wasn't it linus torvalds who said nvidia wasn't supporting linux enough? there are also some dick moves from nvidia that don't help, such as limiting the number of displays because of windows restrictions and "parity"

all consumer GPUs have a limit on the number of displays...

and nvidia driver support for linus is far better than amd, where you need to download 3rd part drivers from random people just to get features to work.

but that doesnt mean nvidia drivers are good...just about all GPUs have bad linux support, which is why my linux lab at school uses intel integrated graphics. far better than amd or nvidia

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Seems like every week we see new game announcements supporting steamOS. Apart from that the promotion will happen when it's closer to moving out of beta stage.

This is not just about steamOS, it's about Linux in general. Affects all Linux users and all Linux distros.

We may be seeing games that support steamOS, but realistically they're going to need to "convert" tons of people to that OS to make it viable, and right now I and millions of other people probably don't see any real reason whatsoever to convert over.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

We may be seeing games that support steamOS, but realistically they're going to need to "convert" tons of people to that OS to make it viable, and right now I and millions of other people probably don't see any real reason whatsoever to convert over.

they are not trying to Convert You over to steamOS. It's not a desktop OS anyway. They are trying to make Linux into a more viable gaming platform and then use steamOS to provide a pseudo-console experience out of the box in the living room for steam machines. A lot of the reasons people think they will fail is because people are thinking in terms of traditional console business models. People think if they don't sell x units within the first year it's a failure. But the way valve planned this is different. Even if the first gen of steam machines sells in small quantities nobody loses money. They are just made from off the shelf pc parts with some custom cases at most. They are not consoles. It will still increase Linux market share and thereby benefit desktop Linux distros indirectly. The next gen will be improved as new pc hardware comes out and so on. All the while the back catalog of Linux games will keep building up and devs get used to opengl and Linux. So every year Linux gaming get better, look at how much improvement has happened without even launching any products yet.This is all that valve wants to happen- they are not stupid to believe that they are going to go head to head with PS4 overnight. But they want Linux to be a viable gaming platform and they don't want Microsoft and it's graphics API to have sole control over pc gaming. people don't seem to understand the strategic longterm goals.