Is my onbaord sound strong enough?

I've got a MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo and I'm thinking of getting a new pair of somewhat high quilaity headphones like the DT 770/V-MODA crossfade LP and I wonder if I could run them properly with my onboard soundcard.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Yes

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Did some research and yes the onboard audio have an impendance of 300 Ω so it should be more that enough to power almost anything.but i would recommend the DT 770 PRO they are somehow better

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

It depends on which dt 770 model you are getting.

It should get the pro

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Did some research and yes the onboard audio have an impendance of 300 Ω so it should be more that enough to power almost anything.but i would recommend the DT 770 PRO they are somehow better

I'm a real noob when it comes to audio stuff. Is there a difference between the 250Ohm and the 32Ohm version?

I'm a real noob when it comes to audio stuff. Is there a difference between the 250Ohm and the 32Ohm version?

Let me do some research maybe i can figure it out

Let me do some research maybe i can figure it out

Thanks in advance. As soon as you start to get somewhat active in a forum you totally forget what google is.

"Studio level integrated 600Ω headphone amplifier"So you can use the headphones without any problems.Ok so it seems like the impedance is related to the coil of the speakers.A thicker voice coil will cause the diaphragm to create more pressure and make it create a more powerful sound.The thicker the voice coil the bigger the impedance.The impedance of a speaker is effectively it's resistance. Therefore the higher the resistance the more resistant it is to move. Therefore you will get harder hitting bass when it does finally move.Remember it's a very big difference between headphones and actually speakers.unlike speaker amplifiers which are rated using power (watts into 8 ohms), headphone amplifiers are usually rated by how much output VOLTAGE they can deliver, not how much POWER they can deliver.  This is done for a number of reasons - partly because it is easier, and partly because it does not depend much on the headphone impedance.

i don't know how to explain this to be clear to you in my head is clear as the water but when i try to explain...

"Studio level integrated 600Ω headphone amplifier"So you can use the headphones without any problems.Ok so it seems like the impedance is related to the coil of the speakers.A thicker voice coil will cause the diaphragm to create more pressure and make it create a more powerful sound.The thicker the voice coil the bigger the impedance.The impedance of a speaker is effectively it's resistance. Therefore the higher the resistance the more resistant it is to move. Therefore you will get harder hitting bass when it does finally move.Remember it's a very big difference between headphones and actually speakers.unlike speaker amplifiers which are rated using power (watts into 8 ohms), headphone amplifiers are usually rated by how much output VOLTAGE they can deliver, not how much POWER they can deliver.  This is done for a number of reasons - partly because it is easier, and partly because it does not depend much on the headphone impedance.

i don't know how to explain this to be clear to you in my head is clear as the water but when i try to explain.

So does it mean you should always go with the highest Ohmage you can?

So does it mean you should always go with the highest Ohmage you can?

Indeed they will deliver a more powerful sound and rich base but they require a more powerful amp usually 32-80 ohm heaphones are for things like phones or music players when the bigger league are designated for fidelity and precise sound

I know it may not be very clear but i tried sometimes i wish i can connect my brain to a hub so you can download it and understand better

Indeed they will deliver a more powerful sound and rich base but they require a more powerful amp usually 32-80 ohm heaphones are for things like phones or music players when the bigger league are designated for fidelity and precise sound

And how do both of these compare? Is the base on a 600Ohm Headphone so much better compared to a 32Ohm one that I should give up the possiblity to take it with me for travelling?

And how do both of these compare? Is the base on a 600Ohm Headphone so much better compared to a 32Ohm one that I should give up the possiblity to take it with me for travelling?

High impedance headphones are not for phones or music players they will perform very poorly as for what you asked yes the base can suffer a lot BUT! headphones around 40-80 ohms can deliver great bass if you have the right amp.The base on the big ones is better compared to a low impedance ones....how to explain this....lets say you hook up right now a DT 770 PRO at 250 ohms on the onboard audio.they will be able to reach top volume without any problems when 32 ohms one will start to distortion the sound around 30-40% volume as i said is the resistance to power

that doesn't mean that low impedance headphones can't output nice bass is not as great also the sound compared to a high impedance ones

High impedance headphones are not for phones or music players they will perform very poorly as for what you asked yes the base can suffer a lot BUT! headphones around 40-80 ohms can deliver great bass if you have the right amp.The base on the big ones is better compared to a low impedance ones....how to explain this....lets say you hook up right now a DT 770 PRO at 250 ohms on the onboard audio.they will be able to reach top volume without any problems when 32 ohms one will start to distortion the sound around 30-40% volume as i said is the resistance to power

that doesn't mean that low impedance headphones can't output nice bass is not as great also the sound compared to a high impedance ones

Okay, thank you. At least I know something about headphones now. :D

Okay, thank you. At least I know something about headphones now. :D

Not sure if i made myself clean enough so you can understand.Hopefully i did

Not sure if i made myself clean enough so you can understand.Hopefully i did

It was fine.... after reading it the 5th time, which has more to do with my english than with how you wrote it ;)

Well, I'd be VERY surprised (jaw-dropping kind of surprised) if that onboard can drive the 50ohms HE-6 properly....

Well, I'd be VERY surprised (jaw-dropping kind of surprised) if that onboard can drive the 50ohms HE-6 properly....

it should be able

I've got a MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo and I'm thinking of getting a new pair of somewhat high quilaity headphones like the DT 770/V-MODA crossfade LP and I wonder if I could run them properly with my onboard soundcard.

The Crossfade LP is a moderate impedance headset and does not take much voltage to drive. The DT 770 comes in different impedance ratings, but all should work just fine with your onboard audio.

It can probably drive headphones with low voltage sensitivity (typically those with higher impedance ratings), but the nominal output impedance of the built-in amplifier would likely be much lower than 300 ohms. 

i don't know how to explain this to be clear to you in my head is clear as the water but when i try to explain...

Impedance is an AC measurement, and is a function of resistance and reactance. A thicker voice coil wire with everything else being the same would likely have lower resistance, which in the far majority of cases also result to a lower nominal impedance.

This measure does not have anything to do with the transducer's resistance to physically move. It is simply a rating set by the manufacturer that loosely represents the typical impedance that the amplifier would see when driving the headphones. The higher the impedance, the less the current flow at any given applied voltage.

Power is what is directly related to the sound pressure level of a headset's output (this is why sensitivity is rated in dB/mW measured at the ear location); it is a factor of voltage and current. Most good headphone amplifiers work as voltage sources, so the amplifier would have to drive a much higher voltage to a high impedance headset to get the same amount of power through. To get 0.5 watt to one side of a headset the amplifier has to apply about 17.3 volts on a 600 ohm transducer, whilst a 32 ohm transducer would only need 4 volts on its terminals. 

The impedance has nothing to do with the transducer's quality. It just tells you if it is a high voltage or a high current device. With everything else being the same, a high impedance headset would need a lot of amplifier voltage and not much current to perform well, whilst a low impedance headset would demand a higher current at the right voltage level (lower) to deliver the same. 

Portables generally do not have high voltage amplifiers, hence the need to use low impedance headsets on them (most can deliver sufficient current, as the amp is often directly driven by the battery). An amplifier that is built only for high impedance headsets may not have the current capacity for a low impedance headset, which can result to a distorted output (or the output impedance may be too high, resulting in an unfavorable damping factor which can equate to a greater source-load interaction and a reduction in electrical damping). An amplifier that would be suitable for both low and high impedance headsets would need to be able to ramp to a high voltage to deliver dynamics with a high impedance headset, deliver sufficient current when driving low impedance headsets, and exhibit an output impedance low enough so as not to cause significant interaction with difficult loads (like highly reactive low impedance drivers) and to a much lesser extent deliver sufficient electrical damping (headphones generally don't need as much damping as loudspeakers).

Impedance is an AC measurement, and is a function of resistance and reactance. A thicker voice coil wire with everything else being the same would likely have lower resistance, which in the far majority of cases also result to a lower nominal impedance.

This measure does not have anything to do with the transducer's resistance to physically move. It is simply a rating set by the manufacturer that loosely represents the typical impedance that the amplifier would see when driving the headphones. The higher the impedance, the less the current flow at any given applied voltage.

Power is what is directly related to the sound pressure level of a headset's output (this is why sensitivity is rated in dB/mW measured at the ear location); it is a factor of voltage and current. Most good headphone amplifiers work as voltage sources, so the amplifier would have to drive a much higher voltage to a high impedance headset to get the same amount of power through. To get 0.5 watt to one side of a headset the amplifier has to apply about 17.3 volts on a 600 ohm transducer, whilst a 32 ohm transducer would only need 4 volts on its terminals. 

The impedance has nothing to do with the transducer's quality. It just tells you if it is a high voltage or a high current device. With everything else being the same, a high impedance headset would need a lot of amplifier voltage and not much current to perform well, whilst a low impedance headset would demand a higher current at the right voltage level (lower) to deliver the same. 

Portables generally do not have high voltage amplifiers, hence the need to use low impedance headsets on them (most can deliver sufficient current, as the amp is often directly driven by the battery). An amplifier that is built only for high impedance headsets may not have the current capacity for a low impedance headset, which can result to a distorted output (or the output impedance may be too high, resulting in an unfavorable damping factor which can equate to a greater source-load interaction and a reduction in electrical damping). An amplifier that would be suitable for both low and high impedance headsets would need to be able to ramp to a high voltage to deliver dynamics with a high impedance headset, deliver sufficient current when driving low impedance headsets, and exhibit an output impedance low enough so as not to cause significant interaction with difficult loads (like highly reactive low impedance drivers) and to a much lesser extent deliver sufficient electrical damping (headphones generally don't need as much damping as loudspeakers).

yay

To add confusion: Most headphone amp makers do not reveal enough of the performance data of the amp to give the buyer a good idea of what to expect. They just put out mostly senseless marketing "specs" that do not tell you the measurement parameters. 

To add confusion: Most headphone amp makers do not reveal enough of the performance data of the amp to give the buyer a good idea of what to expect. They just put out mostly senseless marketing "specs" that do not tell you the measurement parameters. 

And of course the YouTube 'reviewer' contingent muddy the waters by harping on impedance all the time as well.