21:9 ips monitor

SeanBond

For a little while now I have been dying to get my hands on a ultra wide screen monitor or a Rog swift 1440p 120hz monitor. I have the money for such a luxury but I planned on waiting for a real good sale or price drop. 

Then the Tek syndicate turned my world upside down when they post this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuXA_qvkH2c&list=UUNovoA9w0KnxyDP5bGrOYzg

So my questions are, what is the downside with korean branded monitors? Is this the same panel as the LG29UM65? What is the chances of getting a monitor with dead pixels with korean monitors? I have never purchased one. And I have always used a 1ms grey to grey so would 5ms be noticeably worse? 

This is the link for the pricing. http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/dream-seller?_nkw=crossover+290m&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12 Only 280 dollars. I am ready to jump on this but I don't like jumping into the unknown. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I would want if it wasn't 29" it isn't enough vertical space. though :/

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

:o

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

If only it was 3440x1440.

ah but that is reserved for the lg 34um95...which is 1275....

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

ah but that is reserved for the lg 34um95...which is 1275....

Reserved? FOR NOW.... but not always :D

Diamond 5 in League :)

the main drawback with that monitor is the lack of a scaler, so you have only the DL-DVI. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it had HDMI 1.4 inputs at that price, as it would be for a laptop and I don't have anything but a HDMI 1.4 connector on that laptop.

I wonder if there is a chance for a dead pixel also i wonder if it centres the display when using 1080p in games

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

the main drawback with that monitor is the lack of a scaler, so you have only the DL-DVI. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it had HDMI 1.4 inputs at that price, as it would be for a laptop and I don't have anything but a HDMI 1.4 connector on that laptop.

hdmi 1.4 doesnt support ultra wide i dont think

|| MAELSTROM ||

it's not that hard to get a converter :/ 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I think i know what im getting for christmas 

|| MAELSTROM ||

hdmi 1.4 doesnt support ultra wide i dont think

the LG monitor using this panel has two HDMI 1.4 ports, one DVI-DL and one DP. all of which support Ultrawide.

it's not that hard to get a converter :/ 

they aren't exactly cheap and being a college student means that I lack money of the sort.

What are you using this monitor for?  Have you seen a 21:9 monitor in person?  If you are a gamer you might want to reconsider this and if it has to be a 21:9 format wait for something much larger to come out and something of course that falls into your price range.  I have seen 21:9 monitors in person and yuck.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

What are you using this monitor for?  Have you seen a 21:9 monitor in person?  If you are a gamer you might want to reconsider this and if it has to be a 21:9 format wait for something much larger to come out and something of course that falls into your price range.  I have seen 21:9 monitors in person and yuck.  

It would be for gaming and possibly movies. I have always wanted ultra wide screen before it was even really a thing. And this is absolutely in my price range. I was just asking general opinion if everyone thinks this could be as good as tek syndicate made it out to be. Even linus says the LG29UM65 is fantastic for gamers who don't want to spend a crazy amount of money on a monitor. Just looking at what games look like on it makes me giggle with some excitement. I would love to have higher fov without actually setting fov higher in games. But I also don't want to buy into something that isn't all that good when I have a perfectly good 1080p 23 inch monitor. 

It would be for gaming and possibly movies. I have always wanted ultra wide screen before it was even really a thing. And this is absolutely in my price range. I was just asking general opinion if everyone thinks this could be as good as tek syndicate made it out to be. Even linus says the LG29UM65 is fantastic for gamers who don't want to spend a crazy amount of money on a monitor. Just looking at what games look like on it makes me giggle with some excitement. I would love to have higher fov without actually setting fov higher in games. But I also don't want to buy into something that isn't all that good when I have a perfectly good 1080p 23 inch monitor. 

I have seen a 29" 21:9 monitor in person and it isn't very big in terms of height. It looks odd and I couldn't imagine gaming on it.

I have seen a 29" 21:9 monitor in person and it isn't very big in terms of height. It looks odd and I couldn't imagine gaming on it.

I definitely don't see the issue. 

I definitely don't see the issue. 

Also what about warranty issues and shipping it back since you are looking at getting a Korean monitor?  Also there's the inability to change various settings with many of them.  Featureless screens.

As for you not seeing the issue I recommend you go see one of these 21:9 monitors in person and in fact if you buy from the right store you could take it home and try it out and just say you didn't want it with no reason needed to be given.  I know Staples is like this and Future Shop may be too.

Also what about warranty issues and shipping it back since you are looking at getting a Korean monitor?  Also there's the inability to change various settings with many of them.  Featureless screens.

As for you not seeing the issue I recommend you go see one of these 21:9 monitors in person and in fact if you buy from the right store you could take it home and try it out and just say you didn't want it with no reason needed to be given.  I know Staples is like this and Future Shop may be too.

I will definitely take a trip to staples and best buy tomorrow to see if I can find one. 

I see that my local best buy has the lg 29um65 in stock but it is 500. I will go pick it up if there is a no questions asked return policy. If I like it I will still take it back and get it off ncix for 380.

i have seen the 21:9 monitors in person and i love the 29in ones, now the 25in ones are a different story. i think the korean ones represent a good value in contrast with with the lg or other brands out there. i do agree that i would want to wait and see if a korean 3440x1440 monitor came out but for the meantime i would really think hard on the korean 29in.