D5 PWM or Vario?

Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

Temps don't change that much with pump speed (also it depends on the loop), but usually it's easier to get the vario, adjust the setting and forget about it.

Out of the following options, which one would you go with?

First option is the EK top vario pump, with the special clear top, which apparently gives better performance. The front facing outlet is a plus and this one would be a local buy, so it's more convenient in that sense. The downside is I will need to drill holes in order to mount it properly in my case (not hard but something to consider).

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26173&cPath=296

Secondly we have the G1/4 tapped D5 Vario PWM pump from FrozenCPU. This would need to be imported, because the locally the PWM D5 isn't available.

PWM fan control is ample with the Asus motherboard I have planned.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18222/ex-pmp-231/Swiftech_MCP655-PWM-DRIVE_12v_Water_Pump_-_PWM_Enabled_w_G14_Thread_Ports_Perfectly_Tapped.html?tl=g30c107s1802

The last option would be to get a vario D5, with a stock top + tapped for G1/4. (I need the outlet to face the same direction as the inlet, and I also don't really like the idea of barb fittings)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16737/ex-pmp-203/Swiftech_MCP655_Variable_Speed_12v_Water_Pump_w_G14_Thread_Ports_Perfectly_Tapped.html?tl=g30c107s1802

I have already decided on the D5 as my pump, as I need the extra power for my loop and my case (Phanteks Enthoo Primo) already has a predrilled mount for a stock D5. (but not for the special EK top).

Looks aren't an issue as the pump is in the rear "service area" of the case, and can't be seen.

The main advantage I am hearing for having a PWM pump is that it can be turned down for light loads, but can be programmed to ramp up to high speeds to improve flow under heavy load. The thing is, because the D5 is going to be at the rear of the case, I'm not sure how loud a preset vario would be anyway, so that's where I'm looking for advice. 

Yeah I didn't read all that. Get the PWM pump if you prefer software control, get the vario if you just want to set it on one speed and leave it there. 

Good pumps: PWM (Swiftech MCP655), vario (Alphacool D5) (other rebrands are fine too though).

A pump top is recommended, you can't go wrong with an EK X-RES 140 D5 combo.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

D5

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Already decided on the D5, no question about that.

The main thing is, is there any advantage to changing the speed of the D5 using software?

Temps don't change that much with pump speed (also it depends on the loop), but usually it's easier to get the vario, adjust the setting and forget about it.

Cheers.

I'll just get the Vario and set the speed at a noise level that works.

vario because it is nice to adjust and makes bleeding the loop soo much easier

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi