The Gold Apple Watch Could Cost As Much As $1,200

ETRJ

A jewelry contact familiar with the matter told TechCrunch that the gold, 18-karat version of the Apple Watch could cost around $1,200 retail when it launches in January. This has been corroborated, based on size and weight, by jewelers familiar with the material Apple is using to make its Apple Watch Edition pieces. It should be noted that this is an estimate and the piece could come in well below that price.

Although there is still some confusion as to whether the watch will be gold plated or actually made of gold, the jeweler suggested that it would be sub-optimal not to make the watch out of solid gold alloy, a decision that will drive up the price. The estimate is based on the leaked design images of the iWatch that appeared this weak.

Chad Rickicki, a watch expert in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said that a case the size and shape of the Apple Watch in 18 carat gold would cost about $600 to make. The rest – the electronics and markup could double that price.

That doesn’t mean that all of the Apple Watches will rest in the rarified air of haute horlogerie. The lower end sport versions will start at $349 and presumably the standard versions, simply called Apple Watch, will receive a premium over that. The Edition watches, however, are expensive because gold is expensive, even at 18K and intermixed with Apple’s alloys.

What does this mean? It suggests an interesting move by the company to turn Apple Stores into luxury destinations. While I’m sure Prada and Louis Vuitton are clamoring to be given access to Apple’s unique band connectors, the upside for a more fashionable, luxury-leaning Apple Watch display in stores means the company will control quality and, more important, control profits on band upgrades.

Apple is entering a fascinating new world of potential partnerships as is, to some degree, the makers of Android Wear devices. Now consumers are going to have to get used to armed guards standing over cases of (tastefully) blinged-out Apple Watches.

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/12/the-gold-apple-watch-could-cost-as-much-as-1200/

Nope wouldnt buy it... I dont know who would, apparently them rich guys -.-

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

It's an important public service Apple are providing. It's probably the most effective public idiot identifiers we could ever have!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

There was a ten thousand dollar iphone not that long ago, it was encrusted with diamond.  You can make anything worth more by gluing expensive shit to it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Go to 9to5Mac for your Crapple needs. 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

This is dirt cheap compared to a Rolex

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

And next year they will release a far superior version without any of the early adopter flaws...

Then again, someone spending 1200 dollars on a smart watch can probably afford to get the next version as well.

But sometimes you have to wonder, one Rolex or ten iWatches?

definately the Rolex because in the long run the Rolex will keeps its value or be even more in value

definately the Rolex because in the long run the Rolex will keeps its value or be even more in value

arent rolexs milled from blocks of gold?

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Go to 9to5Mac for your Crapple needs. 

I'm sorry, could you please tell me the title of this site? LinusMicrosoftTips? LinusWindowsTips? LinusAnythingbutAppleTips? No. It's LinusTechTips. We don't need your sectarian crap.

Pretty sure this is too.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If an apple watch had a lifespan of 20+++ years, I would see it as a much better buy.  An actual gold watch is like an heirloom.  A first gen smart watch. . . maybe not.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

photo-7886.gif?_r=1394448710

Well..........................

?

Only $1,200? I was expecting something like the $15M iPhone 5.

may we ever feel his touch by the noodly appendage

Depends on what you mean. do you mean the band? yes, do you mean the face? sometimes

They also use the left over gold from the process and re-smelt it to make another block. 

I eagerly await members of this forum going on about how 1,200 is too much for a watch and that this will fail. 

While completely forgetting that watches of this nature go for FAR more, and often offer a hell of a lot less, and that Apple can leverage their brand name to sell a shit ton to well of people who just want the newest thing. 

But hey, lets crap on these already and not understand that Apple doesn't give a SHIT about selling to people like us. 

?

that's the exact reaction i had when i heard it...

Details separate people.

I eagerly await members of this forum going on about how 1,200 is too much for a watch and that this will fail. 

While completely forgetting that watches of this nature go for FAR more, and often offer a hell of a lot less, and that Apple can leverage their brand name to sell a shit ton to well of people who just want the newest thing. 

But hey, lets crap on these already and not understand that Apple doesn't give a SHIT about selling to people like us. 

Exactly

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Pretty sure this is too.

not really, gold is pretty damn easy to mold vs other metals, and considering the shape of the watch it could simple be melted gold to create flat pieces, to then cut and use pressure molds to shape them, this is why gold plated connectors exist, so the plug is more flexible and have better lifespan

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

not really, gold is pretty damn easy to mold vs other metals, and considering the shape of the watch it could simple be melted gold to create flat pieces, to then cut and use pressure mold to shape them, this is why gold plated connector exist, so the plug is more flexible and have better lifespan

And this means it's not machined why? The other ones are machined, and this gold is specially formulate to be stronger.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

And this means it's not machined why? The other ones are machined, and this gold is specially formulate to be stronger.

well, not my problem if they want to use a much expensive method to achieve almost the result, they must have their reason, i'm not an industrial engineer anyways, just saying

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here