Things to not put on an SSD

Dude

Hey guys,

My new Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD arrives tomorrow and I will be installing Windows 7 on there but I must ask one thing:

What should I not put on an SSD?

I'm talking in terms of programs though, I know that typical files such as word documents and images should not be stored on an SSD because that is not what they are for. Also, I don't want to bog down the SSD by putting random crap on it.

Thanks

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I don't install games on my SSD unless I'm using 500GB, 256GB at the least.

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

The things you want on it: OS, every single driver, Utilities that are not big in size, game you play often with relatively long load times (not too big in size though).

What you do not want on it: Giant things unless it's about the only thing you put on it (For instance full DLC BF4: 52GB). Things that have no real load times or benefit from SSD's.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Your downloads destination since you might as well have that on an HDD especially if you download and delete things a lot. Any editing software since it will make a lot of temporary files every time you work using them. I'd say just keep it down to essential programs and selected games then keep the other data that you will store away (music, photos and videos) on an HDD.

Put everything you want on it. Start with OS and most commonly used programs.

Also check this http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/samsung-840-evo-read-speed-drops-on-old-written-data-in-the-drive/90

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

For the love of god, do not install the likes of Minecraft into an SSD.

That game will kill your unit faster than you can plan for a vacation!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

For the love of god, do not install the likes of Minecraft into an SSD.

That game will kill your unit faster than you can plan for a vacation!

wtf are you talking about?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you mod your games, especially with hi res texture packs, you might want to put them on another drive.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

If your SSD is large enough, it is beneficial to put all your files and media on it. If you have limited SSD space this is what you should do:

60GB - OS only

120GB - OS and some programs/games

240GB - OS all games and programs, and maybe documents if they fit

480GB - everything except pictures and videos (unless you have very few pics/vids)

960GB - all you can fit! video files can take up a lot of space if you record, so those should be kept on a several TB HDD

Note: SSDs don't slow down the more they get filled up. They will only start having speed issues if you fill it past 90% capacity, so if you keep 25% of the SSD empty you will not have any problems at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

wtf are you talking about?

I see your Member ID; LOL

But seriously, that game uses the read/write cycle of the storage so rapidly, that it is unfeasible to use an SSD for it. If you want to make the game faster, then set up a RAMdisk.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

But seriously, that game uses the read/write cycle of the storage so rapidly, that it is unfeasible to use an SSD for it. If you want to make the game faster, then set up a RAMdisk.

I've had minecraft and several servers on an SSD for the past 4 years and its perfectly fine. It actually does not use up read and write speeds on your drive, because the game data is cached to ram. It only writes to the SSD when the game saves, and even then it's only a few megabytes of data.

Compared to an OS like windows, minecraft does nothing to the SSD. Operating systems constantly read and write thousands of files every second, yet people use SSDs for their OS and have no problem. There is absolutely no issue with minecraft on an SSD.

Spoiler

You can set "Program Files" and TEMP on to your HDD using registry edits. Google this but beware that modifying your registry may lead to instabilities if you go to far.

You can set "My Documents", "Desktop" etc. on to your HDD by going to C:\users\yourname and then right-click on "Desktop", go to "Properties" then "Location" and change the location to be on your HDD. That way, every time you click "Create shortcut on desktop" it will put it on your HDD rather than your SSD.

Personal preference though, not really necessary. Does decrease the amount of space used on your SSD though.

Either way, keep drivers on your SSD and create a backup on a HDD.

I just have my OS and all programs (ms visio, office etc) and a few games that have poor loading times (civ 5). i still have over 40 gigs left on my samsung evo 120gb

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

You can set "Program Files" and TEMP on to your HDD using registry edits. Google this but beware that modifying your registry may lead to instabilities if you go to far.

I advise against this. A lot of programs don't even look at your system's default installation folder and just find themselves a cozy spot in C:\. Also some programs, including MS Office and Windows Photo Viewer, refuse to launch when they are installed on a different drive than the default one. I had my def Program Files set to "D:\Program Files" but my Office was installed on "C:\Program Files" and it insisted on not cooperating with me until I changed my default back to C:\.

You're much better off manually selecting the installation folder before clicking "next".

PCMR

Well mainly of course you want the OS on it, but for programs that you don't want on it: large games, your download folder probably (if you download and delete a lot it usually doesn't give much benefit to put it on an SSD it just wears it out more), if you use editing software stuff like Photoshop, After Effects or Vegas Pro make sure that they use the HDD as scratch disk and file cache since that kind of programs when installed on your SSD will also cache their data there, and those files wear your SSD out fast. Although it is handy, imo, to have the programs themselves installed  on your SSD since that will grant you much faster loading times. 

And another tip, if your SSD isnt too big and you have enough HDD space, back the entire SSD up to the HDD every once in a while, because when it fails you won't be able to retrieve data from it (while sometimes you can more easily do that with crashed HDD's)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Stop spreading bullshit. Minecraft will absolutly never destroy an SSD in its usefull lifetime.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. My SSD is set up and everything is now a lot faster. It's almost as if I gave my PC steroids.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Stop spreading bullshit. Minecraft will absolutly never destroy an SSD in its usefull lifetime.

In respect to SSD, @Enderman has made his point and i accepted that; no need to be so pissy about it!

As for RAMdisk, my argument still stands. Minecraft is a small game, and RAM is objectively faster than SSD.

In respect to SSD, @Enderman has made his point and i accepted that; no need to be so pissy about it!

As for RAMdisk, my argument still stands. Minecraft is a small game, and RAM is objectively faster than SSD.

Minecraft already caches almost the entire game into ram, so a ramdisk would just give you the same speeds. This is why minecraft uses tons of ram.

Spoiler

im a pro at this believe it or not, just make sure all the stupid shit goes on an external hdd (in my case) or for you just the hdd not the ssd. only the os and everyday programs or apps go on it. so like if youre a graphic designer, keep all of your adobe apps on it :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Minecraft already caches almost the entire game into ram, so a ramdisk would just give you the same speeds. This is why minecraft uses tons of ram.

Fair enough.