Apple says iPhone 6 pre-orders set new overnight record

Dietrichw

Source

image-iPHone-6-pre-order.jpg

Apple revealed that the starting pre-orders of the iPhone6/6+ set a new record. This demand has some insight on why users were having issues pre-ordering the device from Apple and mobile carriers such as AT&T. AT&T also stated that it is seeing more demand for the new iPhones than what the iPhone 5 and 5S got. Apple typically has a press release on the Monday after pre-orders to pretty much brag about how many they are selling and also to impress investors which helps the price of Apple's stock. For reference the iPhone 5 passed two million units in 24 hours

I have to say that this confuses me. IMO this is the least innovative iPhone ever released.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

disappointing

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Of course they did. Apple site was hilariously broken, mobile app was sketchy at best, Canada got really lucky with our reservation system so we could ensure we have in store pickups. 

Kinda a fail of a a pre order. 

Canadas site didn't even come back till after 330am MST, when I gave up and just reserved the phones. Around 9am this morning it seemed fine and I was able to place online orders for a few that I needed to get, but still a bit of a clusterfuck of a launch

Although Apple devices aren't bad, this latest itteration wasn't very impressive, all the previous ones seemed to have some keyfeature (like fingerprint reader for example), the only big thing was, well, the bigger iPhone. 

But hey it is a new iPhone so lets all pre order it......

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Although Apple devices aren't bad, this latest itteration wasn't very impressive, all the previous ones seemed to have some keyfeature (like fingerprint reader for example), the only big thing was, well, the bigger iPhone. 

But hey it is a new iPhone so lets all pre order it......

if you look at hardware yeah, this year Apple seemed to bring more to the table with software and infrastructure. The reachability which will move the content on screen down to where it is reachable with one hand, and the amount of work that went into the systems for Apple Pay. Android phone manufactures put NFC chips in the phones without really planning on what to do with them, Apple actually thought out and made NFC a main feature instead of adding it to fill in a spot on a spec sheet.

if you look at hardware yeah, this year Apple seemed to bring more to the table with software and infrastructure. The reachability which will move the content on screen down to where it is reachable with one hand, and the amount of work that went into the systems for Apple Pay. Android phone manufactures put NFC chips in the phones without really planning on what to do with them, Apple actually thought out and made NFC a main feature instead of adding it to fill in a spot on a spec sheet.

Android can say they had NFC for years. 

iOS can say they finally put NFC in the mainstream and actually drove its usage forward by working with partners and retailers to ensure that it gets implemented and thus consumers can actually make use of it. 

I'm sorry to say i contributed to this in part because everyone i know and their cats got me to order them one.

Android can say they had NFC for years. 

iOS can say they finally put NFC in the mainstream and actually drove its usage forward by working with partners and retailers to ensure that it gets implemented and thus consumers can actually make use of it. 

Google wallet. Apple Pay. Both use same technology. Google has already gotten tons of retailers in the US to install the necessary hardware into stores, apple will do the same with more.

So far, the rollout has consisted of 'here are stores that already had the paypoints and will work with apple pay'. We have yet to see apple's partnerships bear any fruit. It is far too early to say anything.

Where apple pay will hopefully make a proper impact is in the worldwide implementation of the technology. Google wallet is US only and so is Apple Pay, but apple has a history of releasing features only slightly later worldwide, so if we use siri as an example apple pay could hit major worldwide markets earlier than google wallet, which would actually be useful.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

There wasn't a lot of revolutionary stuff but the camera and software additions looked good. Also the way Yosemite and IO8 (and now apple watch) all work so well together makes it an interesting purchase. Being able to go from phone to computer in seconds is a cool feature and it's on purpose, Apple is trying to sell an ecosystem rather than individual products.

As far as I know (and feel free to correct me cause I'd love to use it) that's a user experience you can't really get an Android or Windows phone and a Linux or Windows pc.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

As far as I know (and feel free to correct me cause I'd love to use it) that's a user experience you can't really get an Android or Windows phone and a Linux or Windows pc.

This is why I am getting it. Seamless integration with my Macbook Pro Retina and iPad Mini Retina.

Others are way too clunky.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Software is not really a appealing mainstream selling point, they did use Apple Pay for that yes (although that is not an internationally viable selling point, and europe is still a big market)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This is why I am getting it. Seamless integration with my Macbook Pro Retina and iPad Mini Retina.

Others are way too clunky.

I was kinda sold on iOS 8 when Handoff was announced. 

Given how 99% of my time is spent with laptop open and phone in bag, the ability to see calls and messages and other phone alerts through my computer, and respond to them if I wish, is kinda awesome. 

Apple might not invent much, but they sure as shit know how to tie it up in a pretty bow for their users. 

I was kinda sold on iOS 8 when Handoff was announced. 

Given how 99% of my time is spent with laptop open and phone in bag, the ability to see calls and messages and other phone alerts through my computer, and respond to them if I wish, is kinda awesome. 

Apple might not invent much, but they sure as shit know how to tie it up in a pretty bow for their users. 

As a potential costumer rather than a current one, I got a similar reaction. I was already thinking of getting a Macbook and seeing how well it works together with an iPhone it makes me consider getting both. Anyone with a Macbook was given a reason to have an iPhone.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

i seriously need this, can't believe it hasn't been done earlier, google and MS needs to pull their shit and do this now

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

As a potential costumer rather than a current one, I got a similar reaction. I was already thinking of getting a Macbook and seeing how well it works together with an iPhone it makes me consider getting both. Snyone with a Macbook was given a reason to have an iPhone.

Can't wait to answer calls and text messages from my laptop without ever having to reach for my phone.

Would love to see WhatsApp and iPhone screen share support in an update through wi-fi direct or something.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

My complete Apple fanboy friend preordered not one, not two, but THREE iPhone 6's. He plans on selling 2 of them off for a profit... I'm saddened by the possibility that it will work.

My complete Apple fanboy friend preordered not one, not two, but THREE iPhone 6's. He plans on selling 2 of them off for a profit... I'm saddened by the possibility that it will work.

Its a smart, short term business move. 

They'll sell for ~200 over list. Why? People want, no, people LOVE their tech. They'll do anything to get it first. 

Lets not act like Apple is the only company that inspires this kind of behaviour. 

Why sad?  That people will pay a premium rather than deal with day 1 preordering drama?  Or that your friend is capitalizing on it and didn't invite you in on the deal?

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Why sad?  That people will pay a premium rather than deal with day 1 preordering drama?  Or that your friend is capitalizing on it and didn't invite you in on the deal?

That people are that obsessed with iPhones. It's not a good phone by any stretch when compared to android but then I could be considered anti apple so my opinions may or may not matter.

That people are that obsessed with iPhones. It's not a good phone by any stretch when compared to android but then I could be considered anti apple so my opinions may or may not matter.

Oh I don't know, my parents really like their iPhones.  I think they'd be overwhelmed by the potential complexity of Android.  Apple must be doing something right, and I don't think it's just the "cool factor" anymore

Satan's buttcrack 4790K - MSI mpower ultramaxextreme AC - 16gb G.skillz Trident 2400 - ZLoLtac GTX 980  - Corsair H110 Overkill - Oculus Rift DK2 - Asus vg248qe7the144hzone

Well, this is awesome, considering this might be my first phone.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Oh I don't know, my parents really like their iPhones.  I think they'd be overwhelmed by the potential complexity of Android.  Apple must be doing something right, and I don't think it's just the "cool factor" anymore

Android can be dumbed down by an intelligent user. For example I've done my best making CyanogenMod easy to use for my mom and so far she's been mostly fine with it. She already knows how to do more with Android than she knew how to do with iOS and generally appreciates the flexibility of the platform. The nice thing I find about Android is that it can be scaled according to the user. I can fairly easily setup root access and play around with that while a regular user can just as easily use the phone for calling, texting, checking emails, taking pictures, etc. (When I say "easily" I mean it from my perspective for the "complicated stuff" and the average user's perspective for the "simple stuff")

You can't objectively say one phone is better than another. It all depends on what a user subjectively wants from a phone. Apple has Google and Microsoft beaten pretty badly when it comes to intregration into their product ecosystem, they might not have all the openness Android but not every user needs or event wants that. Personally I'm very happy with my iPhone 5s. I switched to it from the Nexus 4 after I got fed up with the poor battery life on the Nexus4. It does everything I want my phone to do and seemlessly integrates into the rest of the ecosystem. I much prefer Apple's UI and aesthetic, and honestly I don't need to mod and tweak my phone. If your phone is also your hobby then an Adroid is probably a much better choice (though the JB scene can also be a lot of fun), but if you just need a phone that works pick something that appeals to your personal preference and price range, Apple or Android.